Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My second time. An older car was running along fine, made a "pfffttt" noise, and that was it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you just need to get another one, once the current one continues to nickle & dime you to death. I do find it hard to get rid of a vehicle since I do like not having a car payment, but there comes a time... :dontknow:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$3200 cash, no debt. No debt, no way, not at this point in my life. More $$$ for filet mignon and DIGGING relics and the beach that way.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have practically re-built my Nissan P/U but to me it was worth it, new tranny, new engine, re-engineered drive line it didn't have serviceable u-joints now it does.Just need paint and upholstery.Cheaper than 40k for a new truck as my next will be one that hauls a fifth wheel.Plus I am trying to rebuild my 68 Chevy stepside also.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Impala, and it is a beast. $3200 is a good price for a new transmission, in my area. It will be done probably Thursday.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hear ya...I just put $9,000 into the Dodge diesel 4x4. And that was with me doing all the work but the tranny. Would have cost about $13,000 if I'd had it all done by others. Still, much cheaper than $60,000 for a new one.
Jim

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
just got a used motor with 80,000 miles on it,to replace my with 220,000.motor was 800.00 shipped to my house and i will do all the work, thats only two payments on a new truck, 2004 chevy trailblazer 4x4.
brad

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the fire engine red impala four years ago. Had 32k miles on it when I got it. All I've had to replace was tires and a wiper blade (gasp). Been trouble free, gets over 30 mpg and is a BEAST. Does well in snow, and with 100,488 miles on it, will now last another 100,000. Will be a cold day in hell when I pay for a brand new car. I got this off from a car rental company and would do it again. Also have a used Equinox and put a battery in it when I got it and now have put 30k on it in 3 years. Also problem free.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's always cheaper to replace the drive train (engine-trans) then buy a whole new vehicle. Breaks, rotors, tires and tune-ups don't count. Now if you really want the "new" look or upgrade then just sign up and go for it. But motors are "cheap"!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two trucks cost me $100K. What was I thinking? I could have bought a small ranch!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The ONLY new vehicle ever owned was an '86 Ram 50 (made by Mitsubishi). The newest ever is our current 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71, and I will NEVER, EVER own anything that new ever again!! My next vehicle will be a "new" 1970-mid-90's truck with a frame-off restoration!! A brand new truck without all the electronic mess at only half the cost of new, but with much lower insurance costs. If anything older than 1970, then would have to be an 50's to early-60's Powerwagon!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fortunately, I shook the money tree today and have more than half ready to go to pay for the "beast". Only problems with the older ones is the rust. That's why parted with my 83 Olds Cutlass Ciera BEAST! Monster had the 3.8 (if I remember right) and it would break your neck if you ever pushed the accelerator down too hard.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fortunately, I shook the money tree today and have more than half ready to go to pay for the "beast". Only problems with the older ones is the rust. That's why parted with my 83 Olds Cutlass Ciera BEAST! Monster had the 3.8 (if I remember right) and it would break your neck if you ever pushed the accelerator down too hard.

Move SOUTH quickly with a good vehicle.... rust is NOT a problem! If you have to shovel snow (more than once) then your NOT far enough south yet!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Naw, I'll stick with the cooler temps, thank you very much! :tongue1:

I have, however, seen the effects of our winter road additives and what they do to our vehicles. That's why when the time comes for my frame-off restoration, every exposed component that can be will be coated with bedliner!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
n96 Ford Ranger Here 5 speed Manuel Transmission Over 434 000 thousand Miles And Still Going Was A Goodwill services Truck When I Bought It 14 years Ago for 650.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread