Relic & Cache Hunters

cadit

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2003
Mathews, NC
Greetings:

Question(s), what is it that determines; if you leave a site where you are looking for a cache or Relics, after you have researched the site as a possible good target? And how much time would you invest in a location before deciding it's a dead-end? Also what would make you continue searching if the targets you find are not the right time period?

Thank Cadit

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since this is in "General" I will state that it seems some cache hunters will devote a lifetime to searching. The area just expands or is continually revisited.

Take Oak Island - where there is no claim of of cache by any treasure holder and simply what had been judged to be the appearance of some prior activity by teenagers over 150 years ago.

I would say it would otherwise be determined by how reliable your information was. If Aunt Greselda remembers burying a porcelain piggy-bank full of silver dollars in a spot in the nearby woods I would pound it hard and repeatably. If a co-worker said she waved a ring over a map and it "felt" like treasure was buried in a nearby three-acre woods I would give it less attention.

Relics are different. Battlefields continually turn over and soil conditions change. You can go over a spot twice and on the third visit find something good. If you start to find good indicators (signs of the right period) stick with it. If you have been skunked three separate visits it might be time to look elsewhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread