You are wrong...

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the comments about John Winter's recent blog post and I'm disappointed that he was treated the way he was. John is a good friend of mine, an accomplished detectorist, an editor for the Searcher magazine, well known and liked in the UK, and who like me does not get out detecting that much anymore.

if you would just spend a few minutes perusing his blog you will see that he has a wealth of information there, but it seems you would rather go out of your way giving him a hard time about what was simply a fun post and topic. If what he posted really offended you, I feel sorry for you.

This is exactly why I refrain from participating in forums. There's always someone who has a better way, who knows best for everyone, and whose voice and beliefs dictate the dialogue.

Now go ahead and shoot me down. I'm in good company.....

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read the comments about John Winter's recent blog post and I'm disappointed that he was treated the way he was. John is a good friend of mine, an accomplished detectorist, an editor for the Searcher magazine, well known and liked in the UK, and who like me does not get out detecting that much anymore.

if you would just spend a few minutes perusing his blog you will see that he has a wealth of information there, but it seems you would rather go out of your way giving him a hard time about what was simply a fun post and topic. If what he posted really offended you, I feel sorry for you.

This is exactly why I refrain from participating in forums. There's always someone who has a better way, who knows best for everyone, and whose voice and beliefs dictate the dialogue.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of the guy.

But I will say that if you publish your opinions for the world to see, you're opening yourself up to both positive and negative feedback from people. This is nothing new. Welcome to the internet.

OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Dust I never heard of you, and I suspect John hasn't either. Is that really the litmus test here?

Dust Eater

Apr 15, 2015
MASATHVSETS
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point I'm making here is that criticism can and will happen, so stop letting it get to you so much. If you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing noone.

OP
OP
Dick Stout

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The response was such that you lost a member, a contributor, a gentleman and one can only wonder how many others there are. You all have a great day...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dick , You are Wrong Also :laughing7:
Though I don't pretend to guess exactly What you are accusing others,
or maybe me of being wrong about .
i do agree John is a good Guy.
a bit offended after yesterday, but he knows he is welcome here.

we are over 300 spam postings for the last 30 days now.
and that's not including the ones We catch by IP thorough out the day.
so I guess some are a bit wound up at times.

add the subject may be a bit touchy to some Americans who live under a Censorship of Sorts when
it comes to "Sexy".
Blood & Guts are ok for 9 year olds , But sexy gets judged by some :( :dontknow:
Unless you put a pink Ribbon & mention breast cancer of course :tongue3:

anyway, from what I seen the problem arose when someone Questioned whether his Blog
was advertising (spam) at which point I stepped in to explain the fine points.

after which John Contacted me with his concerns & opinions & I assured him he is OK here.
As are you.
no you may not know me, but other then most likely running into you in the distant past
before or at the beginning of the FMDAC somewhere. I suppose it doesn't matter.
but as a veteran of the hobby as I think of it , you are afforded the same respect.

but yes I think you are either wrong, Or I'm confused at What you are complaing about.
If that is in fact what you are Doing :laughing7:

By the way I locked John's thread Because he Wanted it removed & I felt there was no reason to.
it is not spam.and again out of respect,
I didn't want it to turn into a Viral Debate .
once a member posts here. it is our post.
and we decide if it stays or goes :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, anyone got a link to what started this.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I responded to Dick via PM concerning this post, as I felt enough disruption had already been made to the forum. That said, I will reiterate what I said to Dick that I said nothing at all about John - only about his articles. I voiced that I have not read many, primarily because they are offsite. I normally run with images disabled so did not even recognize until this time that there were ads on John's site - nor did I care about the ads. I never pay any attention to them. ...Ever.

My only real gripe was that this particular article was well below standard for what I have seen from John's past writings - and that is also very limited. I mentioned how I did not believe his posts to be spam - after all, he has never (to my knowledge) asked for subscriptions, money, or even "asking" for people to visit his site or read his material. Therefore, in my eyes, this is certainly not spam. Everyone has had their own free choice to pursue reading the articles.

Jeff, you said you locked the thread. Is it still around? I haven't been able to find it again.

In any case, I replied to Dick because, as he directed this op to "everyone in general", I felt a bit sideswiped for having voiced my opinions....honestly and politely. ...Well, that's all I have on the subject. For me it's closed. I still hope that John will be a member and contribute here, but I 'do' wish he would simply post his articles on Tnet rather than just baiting people. I come to Tnet for it's content - not the content on other sites. And I like how Tnet is without all the language and sex of other sites. Hey, I'm a guy, veteran firefighter, and veteran of the USAF. I've seen and heard a LOT in my time. It's just my choice to not want those distractions in my life. ...But I really do feel that this article was well below John's normal standard.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

Thank you Jeff.

It would seem that there have been several posts that were deleted, as now much of what remains is no longer in context. As for John, I wish he would reconsider. He has/had 521posts with 376 likes - a very respectable ratio!! John has obviously been a positive contributing member of Tnet.

....So far I have written "about" John's articles, and then about him. Now let me write something "to" him:
John, please feel free to post here in the future. Being a writer, you have to expect some amount of negative feedback. That's just part of the territory. Heck, there are sometimes entire days when I should never turn this PC on!! But it happens. Also, there really is a bit of a language barrier between Britain and the USA. I, for one, have never been able to grasp much of British humor. Fortunately I'm not alone in that (meaning, I'm normal). Unfortunately, that means that it is just that much easier for something you consider to be said in jest to be taken differently. Please do not let this one incident spoil your long record here.

These words are as honest and sincere as any I've ever said or written!! So if anyone re-reads the other thread (link above) and something doesn't seem to sound quite right, remember that you're no longer seeing all of the original posts. Let's all just give it a few days - yesterday WAS Monday, after all. :tongue3:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In defense of John, I had made a comment on one of his posts a while back that he did not like. My intent was not to offend him. I just think he is not used to having his input questioned. After talking with him for awhile and getting to know him, we became friendly. He does have a lot of knowledge and experience in detecting. In England he is an assistant editor of a popular detecting magazine called the Searcher. Which he sent me a couple of copies. (Thanks John!)
I think that sometimes that our cultures clash. We here in the states are a little less formal and thin skinned. Used to criticism more than the Brits. While people in the UK know John and take their detecting very seriously, we here are more laid back and a lot less formal.
In the UK detecting is about the history and most finds are older than the United States. All hunting is by permission. Lots of red tape. Serious business. Which to us can appear snobbish.
We here in the States are more laid back, not so serious. We cheer on the guy who finds the wheatie like the guy who finds the Spanish Reale. Our stuff isn't that old. Here it is about the fun of the hunt. So we don't take ourselves so seriously for the most part. Two different cultures, Two different atmospheres of detecting.
If you have ever watched the BBC comedy "The Detectorists" you will see that the reason it is so funny, is because it is so true how detecting is in the UK.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...We cheer on the guy who finds the wheatie like the guy who finds the Spanish Reale. ...

Funny you should mention that Mike. Just this very night I did that!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...01-first-bag-yields-unbelievable-numbers.html - Post #10 laughing hysterically.gif

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't see what all the hubbub is about....boobies is boobies.
old.gif~original

whoa1_zpsy5azsbp3.jpg~original

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
john winter is fine ok?

Don't make me come over there

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

In all the time John has been writing his blog, this is the most attention it has ever had. Sex sells my friends. Just ask Diggin Britt :laughing7:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
In all the time John has been writing his blog, this is the most attention it has ever had. Sex sells my friends. Just ask Diggin Britt :laughing7:

That's the truth. If you can't beat them....ummmm..... I'm making detecting videos wearing this ...

YMCA-CS00763-2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions