Tips On Buying My First Metal Detector

Deco

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the hobby and new to the forum - looking to buy my first metal detector. Anybody have any suggestions on a good, moderately-priced (but not crazy expensive) beginners metal detector that'll be easy for me to learn and still useful for me as my skills improve? 8-)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.
metal_detector.gif
3rd - I am sure member(s) will jump in shortly with great suggestions.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
2nd - Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.
metal_detector.gif
3rd - I am sure member(s) will jump in shortly with great suggestions.

She is from the beautiful country of Texas!!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Garrett AT pro would be a good beginning detector it is very easy to learn and the vendors on here have package deals that get you started well.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What will you be hunting for? Are you a relic hunter, coin shooter, or will you specialize in jewelry? How is your hearing, do you want to listen to the nuances of the tone or would you like a VDI screen that provides a target number?

I hunt by sound/tone but like to look at a VDI number.

If you are on a shoestring budget you can get the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro for under $300. It has many of the bells and whistles that more expensive detectors come with. The Teknetics Classic T2 price has been reduced to $499. It used to cost over $700 as well as the F75 for $599. The AT pro has a huge following and is waterproof up to 10ft.

If you are a beep and dig guy you should look into getting a Tesoro, they come with a lifetime warranty.

I recommend you watch videos on line.

Most of my friends hunt with higher end detectors like the XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, or Minelab E-trac.

I started with a low end detector and upgraded 2 months later to a mid level machine. This is not just a hobby for me, but an obsession so 4.5 months later I ran into a great deal on a top end detector.

I am a huge fan of the DD coil vs the concentric. You can cover more ground per swing with less overlapping required.

I swing the F75 LTD2 and the XP Deus. The Deus is a great machine and is like having 4 detectors in one, but has a steep learning curve and I do not recommend for a beginner.

All the detectors I listed are good for coin shooting. The best relic machine in my opinion is the T2 and the F19. If you want jewelry you might consider the Teknetics G2 or Fisher Gold Bug Pro.

You will also need some gear like a nice lesche hand digger and a good pin pointer. You can get a 2 ft shovel for under 10 bucks at many stores. I use a nail apron for my finds (trash on one side and treasure on the other). I also wear gloves that cost me $10 for a 10 pack and a good knee pad for my right knee.

Again I recommend you watch on line videos of many detectors.

Other good beginner detectors you might consider is the Fisher F2, the Tecknetics Delta and the Garret 400.

OP
OP
Deco

Deco

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What primarily got me into this is relic hunting. I love history and the story behind a piece.

As for the hearing versus VDI screen - I'm not entirely sure which I'll prefer. My hearings fine, but I think I'm going to want to see that VDI number too. I def don't want something thats going to have a steep learning curve. I'm going to learn alot as I get out there and do it and I'm sure I'll want to upgrade detectors, but I also don't want to get frustrated with my first detector too quick.

Appreciate the tip on watching videos - I have been checking out some videos on youtube, but if you've got any specific ones to suggest shoot me a link. I'm eager to learn and this forums got a ton of information.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on price and if you will stick with it......Something like a F-44 would be great to just get started without a lot of money and then move up"
Very light and a lot of great features. You want light at first so you don't get discouraged from swinging all day and not being used to it.:treasurechest:

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Id say Ace series from Garret or X-Terra from Minelab.

OP
OP
Deco

Deco

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2016
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips guys! And the video link is awesome! :icon_thumright:

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Or minelab go find series seem to be a nice option too, lightweight, easy to use, foldable, take a look at the Go - find 40 or go find 60 ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions