Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes....the tones are slightly different, won't take long to get used to that....
For me, the deep silver on edge gives a whisper with the stock headphones, the ghost won't hear them...
But you can get the ghosts wet, which is a bonus....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Grey Ghost quality went severely downhill a few years ago. The older grey ghosts were Great ! But the ones being sold now are wimpy muffled. Should have gotten some killer B's or Sunrays.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guess I should post then buy

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two GG headsets, Standard & Ultimate, both bought used. Both work great. I can't see new GGs being worse than Garrett Standards (which are not that bad BTW).

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I have two GG headsets, Standard & Ultimate, both bought used. Both work great. I can't see new GGs being worse than Garrett Standards (which are not that bad BTW).

It's possible that .... since you bought used..... that you bought an older pair from before their quality went downhill. Or perhaps you're using a machine that's not too tone specific. On some machines it's harder to detect the deterioration of sound quality, since some machines are monotone type machines. In which case you really don't even need high end headphones. But on tone specific machines like explorers, etc..... Crisper sounds really help.

And if you do have a tone specific machine, and do have the newer grey ghosts, then you would see what I'm saying if you tried them side by side with a better set. Eg.: the older GGs, or killer B's, etc.... when tested side by side with the new GG's, the difference becomes clear.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock set sound better and are more comfortable than the Grey Ghosts Amphibians IMO. So for land hunting I prefer the stock headphones to the GGA's But if you want to submerge your head it's what you have to sacrifice in all cases even with a ctx or excal.

Last edited:

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have GG amphibians for my at-pro purchase 2 or 3 years ago and the only complaint I have with them is they hurt my head! I have to re-position them every so often tilting them forward or back.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just placed a order for a set of Grey Ghost headphones for my AT Pro.
Just wondering if there will be a noticeable difference between the Grey Ghost and the stock set??

Maybe it's just me, but if you already ordered them why are you asking us? Be sure to TELL US if you think they are better or not. :skullflag:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are comparing stock land phones to, I assume water proof gg right? If that's the case, no comparison. Every waterproof headset, apart from the old Excal Sword hp's, suck. How can they "sound" better? They are waterproof, and by design muffle the sound. My GG waterproof hp for my CTX are horrible, as are the KOSS waterproof hp's. The only thing that helps, somewhat, is covering the drain holes with some electrical tape, but that's just to help with wind noise.Other than that, use land phones when on land, and crank up the volume when in the water.

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's just me, but if you already ordered them why are you asking us? Be sure to TELL US if you think they are better or not. :skullflag:

just anxious I guess. I did not buy the water proof set. no need since I never hunt water. I went with the ultimate GG.
just looking for a better set of headphones. usually the add ons like headphones are a lower quality on most package deals.
but without another set to compare to I have no idea how the stock set compares to a after market set. I will give them a try.
if you guys end up being right and they are not a up grade I will send them back

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Cletus, what machine are you swinging ? If you're just using a monotone "beep or no beep" machine, then perhaps you'll discern no difference. But if your machine is prone for whispers (on the deep end of fringe) and/or fluty orchestra tones, then you might discern a difference. And when comparing, you need to compare not only to your existing set, but also compare to other acknowledged high-end phones. So if you have a buddy with a set like killer B's or Sun-rays, as if you can borrow, and air test side by side. Pay special attention to the "hum" (threshold) and see how crisp that is with each one. You might have to turn up your threshold momentarily to get this feel.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I assumed he was talking about the ATPro he mentioned in his opening post.

I thought about what he said about ordering Grey Ghosts for his headphones. The waterproof version, the Grey Ghosts Amphibians as well as most underwater headphones, use a piezo type speaker which by nature does not have a great sound.

I have a set of Grey Ghosts NDT's (No Down Time) that have very good sound but I would need an adapter to go from Garretts waterproof connector to 1/4" stereo jack.

DetectorPro claims their new and improved version of GGA's are as good or better than land headphones but from my comparing the two with my ATP I would have to disagree. Especially when trying to use something like iron audio to distinguish a bottle cap from a good target. The other issue I have is a personal one. My head is fairly rotund, actually it's quite ginormous. The Grey Ghosts squeeze my head somewhat making them a little uncomfortable after a while.

http://www.detectorpro.com/grayghost-amphibian.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the GG and the adapter yesterday. I really like that I can unplug my headphones when I finishing detecting and pack up my machine.
After setting everything up I went straight to my test garden. the GG fit snug but are very comfortable. they gave off crisp and clear tones on all targets.
Even on coins and bullets that are 10"deep. one thing that I did notice. once in a while I will hear my machine give off a tone that does not transmit through the headphones.
other than that I think they will work out great.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two pairs of Grey Ghosts. One I severely broke. Sent it back to the factory on Monday this week and got it back refurbished for free yesterday. Poor thing has been through rain and snow and blinding wind blown sand on the beach, dropped and dragged across an interstate and it's a BEAST. It is a 2012 version and I love it. When it was time to get more headphones, I got the exact same ones. The Garrett come-in-the-package type I threw somewhere in a closet. Didn't like them too much.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have to agree with Tom, I only have the ones for the CTX, but feel they are muffled and not very loud
My CZ-21 Underwater headphones sound great above or below water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took a 4 our walk yesterday and it was not long before I decided that I made the right choice.
love the fit and feel of the GG. Also notice a huge difference in sound quality. dug several 10" bullets that
rang in clear. with the stock heads the same target would have been faint and broken. I'm very happy with the GG !!

It is also great to be able to unplug the headphones while digging deep plugs and when packing up.
HH !! Cletus

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG divers have a volume limiter in them, GG Amphibians do not and are much louder in volume than the divers but are only guaranteed water proof to 30 foot.

Old GG amphibians didn't have a resonating chamber latest GG amphibians version does.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

OP
OP
Cletus

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting