Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the second time that I've done this. I snapped the head off my AT Pro.
387611207e6304001c32edf725c1383f.jpg
I don't want to send it back to Garrett because it took him two weeks to get it back to me. I'm back to using duct tape. Is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Seems I remember hearing about the first time. Think I might have even posted a potential fix. If you happen across the thread from last time, please post it and I'll look at the pics.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...Seems I remember hearing about the first time. Think I might have even posted a potential fix. If you happen across the thread from last time, please post it and I'll look at the pics.

I don't know how to repost the tread but I had one pic
10852765cd631bf7c6c09f2dc0f88cd2.jpg

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your pretty rough on it by the pics. Looks like a Nugget Noggin detector after he is done with one. He just piles them all together. Crazy... :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the links VP. :thumbsup:

I sent him a PM offering assistance in the form of advice on properly fixing the unit. As this is an ongoing problem, a 'proper' fix might well include slightly modifying the unit to better handle his care and habits (in other words, reinforcing the thing where and if it'll help). I would have offered to fix it personally (would have been preferable to me), but got too much "stuff" going on right now.

jonnied1

Aug 2, 2016
WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the links VP. :thumbsup:

I sent him a PM offering assistance in the form of advice on properly fixing the unit. As this is an ongoing problem, a 'proper' fix might well include slightly modifying the unit to better handle his care and habits (in other words, reinforcing the thing where and if it'll help). I would have offered to fix it personally (would have been preferable to me), but got too much "stuff" going on right now.

What is the proper fix?

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had mine 3 years and have managed not to snap the head off.

Looks like you put undue pressure on it [for whatever reason] to cause a fracture like that.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can drill the holes in the shaft a little larger and get some slightly bigger screws. Easy fix. :icon_thumright:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the proper fix?

First thing is to find out what it is he does that keeps breaking the machine. With that knowledge, one can then engineer proper reinforcement that will better last the particular user.

While installing larger bolts will work, I would not consider that in itself a proper fix. Making the bolts larger means weakening another part of the machine - specifically, at the bottom of the head where the bolts go through. Will this make much difference? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what stresses this detector sees. So it's not just an all-around "you can do it this way" fix, but something tailored specifically for his needs.

I could fix it where it might likely never break again. However, just buried my Mom and have a hell of a lot of family stuff to do right now, as I have already explained to the OP.

In any case, it shouldn't be THAT difficult reinforcing the unit to provide additional strength.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a 6"2, 262lb man and no I don't treat it like my wife's hand. I'm very fortunate that I have the opportunity to MD 4 hours days six days a week, so I definitely get my use out of my AT Pro. I knew I needed a tough detector that's why I got a all terrain AT instead of a delicate Deus. I'm just still very surprised about that one soft underbelly weakness of the AT Pro. Thanks for the help I'll handle it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First thing is to find out what it is he does that keeps breaking the machine. With that knowledge, one can then engineer proper reinforcement that will better last the particular user.

While installing larger bolts will work, I would not consider that in itself a proper fix. Making the bolts larger means weakening another part of the machine - specifically, at the bottom of the head where the bolts go through. Will this make much difference? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what stresses this detector sees. So it's not just an all-around "you can do it this way" fix, but something tailored specifically for his needs.

I could fix it where it might likely never break again. However, just buried my Mom and have a hell of a lot of family stuff to do right now, as I have already explained to the OP.

In any case, it shouldn't be THAT difficult reinforcing the unit to provide additional strength.

Thank you and God Bless

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a 6"2, 262lb man and no I don't treat it like my wife's hand. I'm very fortunate that I have the opportunity to MD 4 hours days six days a week, so I definitely get my use out of my AT Pro. I knew I needed a tough detector that's why I got a all terrain AT instead of a delicate Deus. I'm just still very surprised about that one soft underbelly weakness of the AT Pro. Thanks for the help I'll handle it.

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You know what ? I wouldnt complain at all, I´d just use some type of chest strap and keep it there and you will TAKE OFF all the weight in the shaft, therefore the shaft will be basically weightless and you will be able to swing 24/7 with no complains!

Try it out before trying to do some fix to get it in the shaft again, it´d be something like the Xcal users do :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread