Keeping your metal detector in your truck?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personal preference on this one, as I don't know what cold weather feels like.
I used to keep my gear in my truck, but the heat got me scared after reading other posts....so now I don't take the chance.
Others here have gotten broken in to, so also a risk there....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my old Tesoro in my trucks tool box year round. It is like 15 years old. I use it to test sites to come back later with a better machine. But to be honest it really does as well as anything. I used it last week and found a few things. People will say no as well as the manufacturers. Extreme heat and cold ya know and electronics.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure, but I have used my explorer II fresh out of the truck in the dead of Michigan winter, 10 degrees above zero.
To help a friend find his lost gold in the cemetery.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From -15f to 100f my CTX has been in my truck for 3 years. Except for the occasional bath, it only comes out when it's time to play.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Cold won't hurt the electronics. However, I'd probably not keep the battery in it until use. Batteries "can" be damaged by cold.

Now if you happen to be in a damp, humid area, the game changes. Moisture is absolutely bad for electronics! So if moist air is inside the unit and then freezes, that could potentially damage something.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes Heat Cold Humidity Etc. will Effect electronics If not Just the Batteries, Loved to Work in the Environmental Chambers At HP temp Changes Cause A lot Of Interesting Problems In Electronics It was Fun to watch at the temp And Humidity Changes

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it is too cold to use your detector, take your batteries out. Good hunting and good luck.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tesoro makes a nice case which is padded canvas type material. It is a like a gun case. It would keep yourdetector nice and warm and proteected in old weather. They are on ebay

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
How come extreme heat and cold don't effect the car radio? Is it just it more partial to detectors?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
REAL cold can cause the displays that use liquid crystals to malfunction. Usually they are fine again once they warm up.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
How come extreme heat and cold don't effect the car radio? Is it just it more partial to detectors?

Good question. And the short answer is, it does - only that degradation happens too slowly for people to notice. Also, auto electronics is specifically designed for the rigors of temperature extremes and humidity swings. It also doesn't have to worry about getting dropped, knocked over, or getting wet from rain or spills. Still, a lot depends on the original quality and design of the electronics, as well as their use.

It's much more difficult to detect metals in the ground than it is to pick up a radio station. As you use your detector, you come to learn what it can do and how well it can do it. Additionally, YOU get better at detecting. But a car radio is normally tuned into stronger stations. ...Comparing the two would be like your detector always detecting whole coins laying flat in the top 4" of dirt, and ignoring everything else- no matter how much the signal degrades over time, you'll never notice.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Apple Mac book air is rated to -13 f. My detectors have all spent some extended time in the trunk with the exception of the cz21. (You kind of know it ain't good without asking.) Recently stoped keeping golden umax in trunk since it got more valuable . Too funny.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always try to keep my detectors out of the direct sun and park in the shade if possible when it's hot. If it's above freezing I don't worry about the detector(s) and the cold, but colder than that I take them out as I wouldn't normally be using them anyway.
luvsdux

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I always try to keep my detectors out of the direct sun and park in the shade if possible when it's hot. If it's above freezing I don't worry about the detector(s) and the cold, but colder than that I take them out as I wouldn't normally be using them anyway.
luvsdux

That's a good practice. A lot (I would venture to say MOST) of the problems surrounding electronics and weather extremes don't have as much to do with the temperature as it does the humidity. If the temp changes quickly and the air is humid, condensation can form on the detector. If humid air can get inside the control box, then quick temp changes can cause moisture to condense on the inside as well. This goes for ANYTHING; not just MD's.

Remember how a glass of ice water has so much condensation on a warm day? Moisture in the air hits the cooler glass and forms water. This happens because warm air can hold more moisture than cold air. WHICH, by the way, is why thunderstorms are far worse in the south than they are up where we are. ;D We have extremely humid air here and very often get temp swings, sometimes changing 50° to 60° in less than 20 minutes! Our house isn't the best insulated in the world, so sometimes things near an exterior wall will began forming a slight dampness. Mostly, this happens for us to things stored in non-climate-controlled areas, including closets in the house when the closet door is closed. Cardboard boxes will get damp - fortunately not enough to cause them to break down.

In any case, as warm air holds more moisture than cold air, I would recommend having your MD in a padded carry case when bringing it in from very cold temps, but only if you live in an area where the air stays humid. We're in wetlands, so our air is ALWAYS humid. Most people, however, probably won't have much problem most of the time. Basically, treat your MD the way a hunter would treat their rifle. Same rules apply. Let the rifle (or MD) acclimate to the temp of the house before exposing it to the warmer air. NOT doing this doesn't mean certain doom for your machine, but would be a good practice to get into. Temp and humidity is different in every circumstance, so just have to figure out for yourself what precautions should apply to you, if any at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread