abrupt ending to detecting season

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last 24 hours we here in Central N.Y. got blessed with 2 1/2 feet of the white stuff. Winds are howling between 20 to 40 mph. I'm sure my V3I would detect stuff under the snow, but it won't be me holding it. Is it to early to wish for spring yet ? I envy all you folks in the warmer areas that can still get out and see bare ground. Oh well, so will we in 4 to 5 months. Have a great Thanksgiving folks.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked_01.gif

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I envy all you folks in the warmer areas that can still get out and see bare ground.....

Although I envy the age of your east coast finds, I do not envy your winter snow frozen weather. Where I'm at in CA, it never snows. Thus we have year-round hunting. Even if/when it's raining, that merely means beach erosion season, so we put on our rain gear, and hit the beaches during howling storms :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No snow here in VA yet. Hopefully I can get another month of digging before it gets to bad.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I envy the age of your east coast finds, I do not envy your winter snow frozen weather. Where I'm at in CA, it never snows. Thus we have year-round hunting. Even if/when it's raining, that merely means beach erosion season, so we put on our rain gear, and hit the beaches during howling storms

I'll tolerate the cold and the snow for three months of the year if I can find relics from the 1600's and 1700's nine months of the year.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got zero snow here in RI, but it was 36 degrees out with a 30 mile an hour wind today! Painful hunting in that kind of weather. Only lasted 45 minutes and ended up with 52 cents in clad! I must be nuts! LOL!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's strange. Our ground freezes down to 8' or more, but I don't have a problem digging targets with MY shovel. :dontknow:

r4a029839_245g_642x462.png laughing hysterically.gif

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground is not frozen here, but with 20-40 mph winds not safe to go in the woods as trees sometimes attack. Maybe this weekend.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya the white stuff really puts a damper on things for a while.
Hopefully you get a heat wave & it melts before the ground freezes.
If not theres always the plowed piles of snow to search, after all people lose stuff all year round.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Syracuse I was detecting in a muscle shirt on Saturday and sweating. And now 2+ feet later and I'm still digging out, but I'm guessing this years detecting isn't over. Do you remember last year when it was 70 degrees on Christmas day?

OP
OP
W

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping for that Dr. Witty. I'm doing my bring out the sun dance. Hope I don't get it mixed up with something worse.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m in south central N.Y. close to Watkins Glen only got 1-4 inches so i`m still gettin out !
gary

That makes 2 of us Gary! This weather gets the amateurs out of the way so us pros can get the goodie LOL! Any good Revolutionary finds this year?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes 2 of us Gary! This weather gets the amateurs out of the way so us pros can get the goodie LOL!

Yup, some of my better finds have been in snow covered ground. I seem to find a lot of silver dimes when there's snow cover. Not sure why that is, though.

Here's a photo of my oldest Barber dime, an 1897. I found it in 6 inches of snow and 4 inches of dirt! The ground was soft as butter. Snow cover before a hard freeze keeps the ground insulated. Just have to tough it out to get those coins and relics. Well worth it, imo...

1897 barber.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions