Inexpensive Replacement/fix for Minelab Coil Hardware

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I had the pleasure of purchasing an 18 month old Minelab x-terra 705 gold package for very short money. The only problem was some of the coil hardware was missing (nylon spacer and bolt). I researched on eBay the replacement cost ($9.95 -$20.00 for complete package). Since only the bolt and spacer was missing, I decided to machine inexpensive parts from Lowe’s. In the future, I can always purchase the package deal that includes the rubber washers…etc. I measured the inner space that holds both the bolt head and nylon spacer on the coil with a digital caliper and obtained the dimensions needed for machining. I used the following parts:

1. The Hillman Group 2-count #14 to 20 x 2-in Binder-Head Nylon Slotted-Drive Standard(SAE) Machine Screw; the cost 68¢ cents for two.

2. The Hillman Group ½-in x ¼ - in x ¼-in Nylon Spacers; the cost 78¢ for two.

The nylon spacer was cut to size on a standard lathe then, milled to fit coil slot of the required dimensions. The bolt head material was removed on a milling machine (then sanded) to fit without turning in the coil slot. Now, both the bolt and spacer washer fit properly in the slotted grove of the coil. This allows the wing nut to be applied without the bolt spinning while turning and a secure seat for the wing nut. Here are a few photos of the completed project, with the last being a black painted bolt and spacer that from a distance appears to be original equipment.

Thank you for looking,

GL & HH

Doc

CAM00826.jpg CAM00827.jpg CAM00825.jpg CAM00828.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread