Mining employment..

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say a young guy wants to drop everything and get a job on a mining crew in remote Alaska or pretty much wherever interesting..

This guy is accustom to working long grueling physical hours for weeks straight out of town, ready for and doing it for the self challenge.

This guy is also somewhat smart and has experience mostly in mechanics but also things like construction and concrete, pretty darn handy with any tool be it a wrench or a shovel already, and very willing to learn and do new things, brave adverse conditions and dangerous environments, learns fast and is pretty much capable of doing ANY job with a little training. Very wide scope of self education.. Excellent at research and pretty much figuring out anything needed to get whatever needs done done.. Fix anything..

Specialized in "field" repairs I guess you could say, has a very particular strength in understanding machines of all types once introduced, how they work, and how to keep them working.. Wrench, weld, fabricate, machine, cut, hammer, dig, clean, whatever.. Takes pride in work. Has tools but transportation of tools is likely an inefficient option..

Where would this guy post a more detailed resume or look for such a job?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Say a young guy wants to drop everything and get a job on a mining crew in remote Alaska or pretty much wherever interesting..

This guy is accustom to working long grueling physical hours for weeks straight out of town, ready for and doing it for the self challenge.

This guy is also somewhat smart and has experience mostly in mechanics but also things like construction and concrete, pretty darn handy with any tool be it a wrench or a shovel already, and very willing to learn and do new things, brave adverse conditions and dangerous environments, learns fast and is pretty much capable of doing ANY job with a little training. Very wide scope of self education.. Excellent at research and pretty much figuring out anything needed to get whatever needs done done.. Fix anything..

Specialized in "field" repairs I guess you could say, has a very particular strength in understanding machines of all types once introduced, how they work, and how to keep them working.. Wrench, weld, fabricate, machine, cut, hammer, dig, clean, whatever.. Takes pride in work. Has tools but transportation of tools is likely an inefficient option..

Where would this guy post a more detailed resume or look for such a job?

With all due respect, I would tell the guy his "skills" are a dime-a-dozen, and to think about getting some formal education. If he is "ready to drop everything" to become a simple laborer, I have to ask what it is he is "dropping." Maybe he should stop dreaming and start trying to find the thing he is good at, study it, and become an expert in it so that he can market himself in the real world. :occasion14:

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking something more out of the box, like a discussion board where I could chat with people currently in the field and find out more about ways to get into the industry and then advance etc..

oh gotcha, you should have said that in your original post. It would have saved me time in doing this research for you. :icon_thumright:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eddie, if that is your dream, then GO FOR IT!

Terry is being a bit pragmatic, but then he's old and grey, and has seen
mining from the inside out.

IMO, in order to get that mining job you'll need to get in front of those
you want to work for. Are you a certified welder, or do you just know how to?
Getting that certification would be a nice plus on your resume. Can you drive
a rock truck, or a track hoe?

No idea where you live, but maybe you could plan a trip up to Alaska
and spending some time talking with mine owners. Don't just sit on
your hands looking for info off the web...get in there and get your hands
dirty, and show them you have the ability, drive and desire to put in the
work necessary.

As a young man, there were times I turned left when I should have
turned right, and now I'm too old to go back and correct those errors.
Don't make the mistakes I did...if it's your dream, go for it and don't
let the speedbumps take your eyes off the prize.

OP
OP
E

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all due respect, I would tell the guy his "skills" are a dime-a-dozen, and to think about getting some formal education.

I have plenty of education as a mechanic (certified) to make that a career but I would prefer something interesting in the field, don't want to be in one place all the time.
I have unique tech experience and could have an online job now and make it into a career if I wanted..
I have construction jobs, concrete jobs, sales jobs, mechanic jobs, all sorts of jobs I could take at any time..
My last job I worked just a few months and made more money than most people in my area make in an entire year.. I could go back to that..
I could go back to school if I wanted for almost anything. I could and may just take the winter off this year, or go to Florida on vacation.

I want to gain skills I can take all over the world and use, travel, adventure, be self sustaining..

If he is "ready to drop everything" to become a simple laborer, I have to ask what it is he is "dropping."

Well, in my home area I have pretty much everything I need done done.. My home is mine and paid for (rent it out and go), my rental is mine and paid for and occupied, finished my mothers brand new house on our property, my cars are paid for, my RV is 90% roadworthy and paid for if I want to take that or leave it sit..

Adventure Time..

Maybe he should stop dreaming and start trying to find the thing he is good at, study it, and become an expert in it so that he can market himself in the real world. :occasion14:

I think it is THE time to dream.. Time to go have experiences while I can. I don't need to market myself to anyone because I don't need anyone, Don't need no specific job, and the "real world" is whatever I make it..

If I want a "job" I want a job that is like boot camp for the challenge, couple weeks straight 12-15 hour days with few days off for a season and then do whatever I want in the off season or go do something else.. A summer season in Alaska sounds like just the ticket, and I'm assuming it pays well enough to not worry about..

Lining up a job is just an excuse to go somewhere, a place..

Do you not think that it is an interesting/adventurous enough idea? Better ideas?

Good experience as field service for gold mining outfits could get me into gigs all over the world in crazy remote places couldn't it?

Why not do it? What would you prefer me do? Maybe an oil field job?

No desk, no working in the same place for years, no boring, why not that? What's a better plan?

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are moneyed up, head up there and sell yourself, let them know you are not tied down with family and are ready to work. Good luck!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eddie, after reading your response to Terry...man, you're my new hero..:icon_thumright:

Another spot you can take your skills would be as an engineer or deckhand
on one of the crab boats. You'll work harder than you ever have, but the
rewards are high.

Worth repeating:

As a young man, there were times I turned left when I should have
turned right, and now I'm too old to go back and correct those errors.
Don't make the mistakes I did...if it's your dream, go for it and don't
let the speed bumps take your eyes off the prize

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to drop in from time to time and
let us know how you're doing.

OP
OP
E

eddie13

Mar 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an oil field job?

crab boats.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to drop in from time to time and
let us know how you're doing.

So I went and did the oilfield thing for a while, about a year.. One of my favorite coworkers was a crab boat guy previously..
Damn good money but crazy hours..
Normal was 16 hours a day for 15 days straight though I clocked more than 24 hours straight a few times and a lot of days in the 18 hour range.. Worked all through christmas and newyears, day shift, night shift, rain, snow, sleet, shine, heat, you name it.. Rough work, kicked ass..

I got a CDL, all sorts of certifications, learned a TON about pumping water and slurries, low and high pressure pumping, running $2million machines from 1500-2200 horse power.. I worked my way up to running big machines fast..
Learned a LOT!

Watching gold rush with my GF right now, the work those guys are doing is so familiar, some of their big pumps are the same as some of our small pumps were, hoses, plumbing, everyone on radios, scrambling to fix or replace machines and parts to get back running.. Very similar but smaller..
Really the stuff I have been running for the last year makes me confident I could master the entirety of the rig quite quickly..
By comparison, our sites were running over 35,000 horsepower in machines all at once.. So a sluice, even a big one, not so scary..
Saw Parker bragging about 20 something psi water pressure to his sluice.. I've been pumping a slurry with small pumps like those at 80 barrels a minute at up to 120 psi if I want, usually 70 psi cruising, and then up to over 14,000 psi through the next pump, of slurry, so pumping clean water at 20 psi seems like a kitchen faucet..
I hate to say things like this because I like to be modest, but this is the internet and you don't know me...

I'm taking a little time off now and wondering what to do next..
Thinking about taking a laid back summer job doing something outdoorsy and interesting, maybe something to do with water and boats, I want to do it because I don't know much about boats, so I can learn, but I can work on basically anything man made.. Kinda want to learn about sailboats because of other crazy dreams/ideas I have..

I can go back to that oilfield money whenever I want.. Will probably go to Colorado, California, or Alaska next time, for a new experience.. Being across the country isn't that big of a deal anymore..
I can't imagine not going back to the oilfield sometime.. If I don't do anything crazy I might go south or west for some good oilfield work this fall, after I screw around all summer and enjoy myself and my family and things.. Time to annoy various peoples on the Internets also.

Gold mining still sounds like a good time, fun, interesting, outdoors, learn stuff.. Just can't do it here..

With all due respect, I would tell the guy his "skills" are a dime-a-dozen, and to think about getting some formal education. If he is "ready to drop everything" to become a simple laborer, I have to ask what it is he is "dropping." Maybe he should stop dreaming and start trying to find the thing he is good at, study it, and become an expert in it so that he can market himself in the real world. :occasion14:

I'm good at roughneck field work and fixing things, understanding machines, guess I've studied it a bit more now..
Most of the time I ran the 2 most complicated pieces of pluming on site, each with 1500 horse power, at the same time..
You kinda always start as a "simple laborer" until you wrap your head around the entirety of the task/machine and become valuable, if you have the "aptitude" as my boss said..

I think I'll continue my education in stuff that moves and makes stuff do stuff.. It may not make for a fancy degree title but it can pay just as well if not a heck of a lot more..

Man does gold mining sound fun!!
I want to go gold mining..

Might have to build a turbojet drywasher and take it to Arizona..
Dare me?

Crazy scale 1-10?

No probably won't do that but bet I find something interesting to do..

Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
"Where would this guy post a more detailed resume or look for such a job?” Try Google. You can find everything searching the web. Then you can wow them with your knowledge, skills and qualifications. It should be a cinch to get the job of your dreams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions