Anyone into collecting vises?

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my new vices is vises! I have a friend that showed me some massive vises that he had and I've been hooked since. I've been falling down the rabbit hole of old early American vises and I can't seem to get enough. Especially when it comes to big vises. And when I mean big, I'm talking like 200 lb plus vises! Does anyone else here have this same sickness or am I just crazy? :tongue3:

Here's a Reed 4C that I picked up that weighs about 250 lbs 8-)

IMG_6373.JPG

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had a very old blacksmith vice that came from My Mother's antique store. It's the one seen in smithy's
shops where the stem for lack of a better word goes down to the floor.
I'm not going to do any restoration as it's fine as it is. But when I've seen these being used it doesn't bring
the beauty of the vice. Like anchored in car wheel rims.
So what I'm doing is starting with a truck brake rotor for it's base, a 3" schedule 40 pipe for the riser and a plate from 4" angle making the final.
I think will do this vice justice. BTW my surprise is seeing these vices on the market for several hundred $$$.
I'll try to remember to post a photo when done.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy 4nines, don't believe I've ever had the pleasure! :hello:

As I started working in a machine shop with my Dad at 8 1/2 years old, I go nuts about any and all older tools. Spent nearly 30 years doing woodworking. Sadly, no blacksmithing. My passion is for old grinders, as well as vernier measurement tools. Just recently got a 36" vernier caliper! Needs a little cleaning but otherwise in good working order.

I don't have much for vises, but found a page that has some info on yours:
Reed Vise - Vise & Tool

Hughie

Jun 25, 2016
Geneva Lakes area , Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question. Not looking to collect a vice but would really like to get one that the casting doesn't break trying to clamp work into it. I see them around but really don't know what fair prices are.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the biggest problem you would have with collecting vises that big would be "bench space", heh.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Would love to see a picture of all your vices! Can't imagine collecting vices - the wife got upset with me when I was collecting small antique Chatillon scales! I think I will tell her I am thinking about collecting vices - that will sure get her on a roll! :)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i have a vise for wood that weights about 150 lbs.i hate moving it a round.
brad

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Would love to see a picture of all your vices! Can't imagine collecting vices - the wife got upset with me when I was collecting small antique Chatillon scales! I think I will tell her I am thinking about collecting vices - that will sure get her on a roll! :)
Yep I can see it now...... :laughing7: Break out the sleeping bag and sweep out the ole dog house!:tongue3:

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Reed up in Erie PA is still in business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm am a big time tool lover and user, but vices never sparked much of an interest outside of the need to have a couple handy.

My main "vices" outside of power tools are hammers, razor knives, ratcheting fasteners and diagonal cutters [especially old Klines]

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have alot of VICES only 2 vises

Pia

Jan 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK -- I hope i am at the correct place. I do collect stuff. right now I am researching a 3 headed vice. So far it appears to be an EMMERT brand and the only number on one of the castings is 103. it is a medium size vice. Obviously older than me.
It has been butchered over the years. The 1st question is how to post a picture... still not into computers.... 2 Has anyone heard of EMMERT vices? 3. I did get it apart and it is functional BUT should I try to get it back to an original condition? i.e. remove the welded base and remove the rust?. Typically, I find what I call a "toy" - then clean it up - use it in the shop for a while and then sell it. Right now I want to know more about this odd vise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions