Burned Home - How to Hunt it?

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple questions come right to mind. First is, how long has it been since the house burned down? Second, what are you hoping to find? I am guessing that the iron count will probably be very high. Just a couple of thoughts.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First,, did the owners removed everything that they wanted. Are you going to return anything of value to them? Most important,, do you have permission?
Good luck

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to hunt a home that burned down? It has a concrete slab and everything from the home is still where it landed. So have any of you ever hunted anything like this & if so how did you do it?

Burned down house's are not typically a good place to metal detect for anything valuable in the way of coins or jewelry. Lots of iron and copper will be there if it had copper plumbing. If scrap copper is what your looking for then all is good. Older homes will have the copper plumbing. I myself would consider metal detecting a burned down home as a waste of time and effort unless your looking just for scrap metals.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to hunt a home that burned down? It has a concrete slab and everything from the home is still where it landed. So have any of you ever hunted anything like this & if so how did you do it?
I too would like to know, laughing, as I have had permissions for a couple of these places. The large stuff had been carted off and the rest bulldozed over. I would get sooo many high toned, good VDI numbers showing dime,quarter and better, just to dig formless globs of melted blueish grey metal and heavely infested with it. After an hour I leave in disgust and a pouch full of junk and not much more vowing not to return.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread