Aerial Drone Detection

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired a bit over two years ago and now have the time to do the things that were on the back burner for years. Bought a few hot rods, metal detecting, rc planes/helicopters, firearms, and srudying for ham radio license. I love all of these hobbies but the metal detecting is so intriguing as it is so ever changing. I now read an article about Aerial Drone Detection. We have a few drones, actually called quadcopters, but would never thing of using them for metal detecting as I think it takes the fun and suspense out of the hobby. However I am sure some folks will think this is the best thing to come along while combining two hobbies into one. I like both of these hobbies but I believe they should be standalone hobbies. Any opinions?
Rich

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like to use one on a couple of islands along the coast. They are not inhabited. I'd like to see down between all the trees for evidence of long lost structures.

What would be wrong with that?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see that using a drone ruins the metal detecting hobby at all. I mean it's not like there are piles of treasure lying on top of the ground. A drone might help you find an old site but then so does google earth. You are still going to have to hike in there and detect to find anything.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fly R/C (mostly fixed wing) and don't bother with cameras. But I can see the attraction of overhead real-time viewing of a site. Google Earth & the like are handy and I have used them to pre-select likely hunt sites. A drone might be handy for that.

But I still think sometimes the good finds are where the items were lost regardless of how attractive that area looks. ;-)

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO responses to your question can dictated by the type of MD'ing someone does. I concentrate on relic hunting. I would view drones as just another research tool to help in locating potential sites. If you're the type of person that just likes to randomly go out into the woods for the pure enjoyment of wandering around and whatever you find is what you find, then using a drone would obviously degrade that enjoyment factor.

I hunt for specific "lost" sites. I use any tool available to narrow my search before I put boots on the ground. In the end, no matter what you utilize you still have to put your behind in the brush. Combining a drone with all of your other research resources/tools, hitting the woods/area and finally locating the site is still only part of the battle. Bottom line is you still have to fire that detector up, swing it, find it and dig it. The pay off is when you can finally lift that prize out of the ground, which in my opinion the greatest joy of the whole search and the hobby in general.

-just my two cent piece!:icon_sunny:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Drones with video capability are extremely helpful searching cliff faces in my neck of the woods. A few of the John Swift silver mine searchers do this. I've been told that using a drone to search the rock shelters saves tons of time and adds an element of safety to their pursuit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread