Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1480677552413.jpg

The Chinese characters on the crumpled banknote show that it was issued in the third year of the reign of Zhu Yuanzhang, the first emperor of the Ming Dynasty – or 1371 in the Western calendar. The inscriptions also warn would-be counterfeiters that they face the penalty of death by beheading.

The 645-year-old banknote was found hidden inside a wooden sculpture of the head of a "luohan," a religious figure from Chinese Buddhism, that may once have stood in a family or public temple, said Paul Sumner, chief executive of Mossgreen's Auctions in Melbourne, Australia, which discovered the note.

You just never know where you will find something" Anyone else find something nice in a strage place?

Last edited:

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I wonder what the oldest paper currency still in existence is? 645 years is a long time for paper to hang on.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason,
Google says "Paper bills were first used by the Chinese, who started carrying folding money during the Tang Dynasty (A.D. 618-907)."
No doubt some museum has an example of those bills.
Don.....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It totally blows my mind to think that a piece of paper 645 years old has made it to us intact. That is super cool dave , thanks for sharing that with us. Pretty amazing that it hadnt turned to dust by now. Not to mention that its so beautiful that its like a piece of art !!! I guess writing was an artform back then . Although the head is also a wotk of art its a little creepy looking!!!

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine its not like the paper we are aware of but maybe some other substance. Like onion paper or something. That would be cool to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread