đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres some maps... ones out anyway.

View attachment 1391008

Well.....that dosent suprise me!!! Your mancave library looks just like mine. I could see andros on one of those maps!!! Heh.....one of my favorite charts the carribean loop. Treasure of the spanish main im gonna have to find that one !!! The black conquistador L Mac Perry. Never herd of that one either ?? Flash cards with china/porcelain marks nice. Book on silver marks too. Cool !! You know what they say "great minds think alike" heh...we must all have great minds !! Thanks AARC.

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
This thread has been very informative so I figured I'd do my part to keep it going. Unlike last time where of the 25 books I listed only one was fiction, this time they are divided evenly between fiction and non-fiction. Here's a continuation of the list I posted last week....

[FONT=&quot]26). The Story of Superstition Mountain and the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine by Robert Joseph Allen The long title is in contrast to this small but thorough paper back. This is probably the most written about lost treasure story and has the most deaths associated with it. This treatment of it reads like a thriller novel and is one of those books you can’t put down. Truth is in fact much stranger than fiction.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]27). Riptide by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs This novel is spun around the Oak Island treasure and is one of many books these authors have collaborated on. It’s a solid tale that moves fast and keeps you engaged through out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]28). Thai Gold by Jason Schoonover This novel about a search for a golden Buddha head is probably my favorite treasure fiction. From the first page on you’re hooked because the details are so rich and ring so true. Sadly, his other works aren’t nearly as good, but he set the bar exceedingly high with this one.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]29). Legends of the Outer Banks and Tar Heel Tidewater by Charles Whedbee This short read compiles many great stories together. The most prominent one is about Black Beard’s lost treasure. It’s one of those books you wish were twice as long because it’s so well done.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]30). The Book of Pirate Treasures by Ralph D. Paine Written in 1911 this book is a long read, but worth the effort. It’s a well-researched, fact based and an entertaining look at pirates and the treasure legends that have always surrounded them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]31). 1001 Lost, Buried or Sunken Treasures: Facts for Treasure Hunters by F.L. Coffman This guy was one of the early pioneers of underwater salvage and was successful in rescuing a valuable treasure. The leads are pithy, but well researched. They are so varied, unique and spread out that there’s something here for nearly every state.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32). Sudden Wealth by Deek Gladson a.k.a Karl Von Mueller Writing under one of his pen names he delivers an optimistic, feel-good type of introduction for treasure hunters. Although very short and sweet it really delivers the goods. Don’t miss this one, but cheap copies are more scarce than diamonds nowadays.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]33). Secret Treasure of Oak Island by D’arcy O’Connor This book goes into great depth from the history of the first three boys to stumble on the “money pit” in 1795 to modern day efforts at retrieval. It is a site that has confounded the best minds and deep pockets of many groups over the years. Other books rely on fringe theories and tin foil hat speculations whereas this one keeps focused and factual.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]34). On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers This book is by an award winning fiction author who turns his pen toward pirates, sea battles etc. Black Beard is the main subject here in a fantasy setting involving the fountain of youth. Even though it was written 30 years ago it was the inspiration for ‘Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides’. It’s not your typical adventure novel which is why it stands tall.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]35). Off the Mangrove Coast by Louis L’amour This is a collection of short stories by one of the most prolific story tellers of all time. The only other story involving treasure in here is the ‘Diamond of Jehru’ which is solid but doesn’t equal the title story IMO. Both are really strongly plotted tales of adventure, treasure & treachery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36). The Treasure of the Sierra Madre by B. Traven A true classic of treasure fiction that’s in my top three for the genre. The mysterious author known only as B. Traven really delivers here in this western type tale of greed. The lessons it teaches about human nature when sudden wealth is gained are the real takeaway.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]37). King Solomon’s Mines by H. Rider Haggard This is old, but still an awesome adventure story that anticipates Indiana Jones. It’s hard to put this one down once you’ve started it.

HH
-spyguy
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12-14a.jpg Most of my books are Oklahoma related and here's about the top four. I also have a lot of Oklahoma history related books that are excellent for research. Bill Wade has a pretty good book out about treasure tales and has another one coming. And although I have my own private opinions about his abilities as an author, I buy every W.C. Jameson book I see. I don't know what I could do with his info he's copied from others, but great entertaining reading.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1391393 Most of my books are Oklahoma related and here's about the top four. I also have a lot of Oklahoma history related books that are excellent for research. Bill Wade has a pretty good book out about treasure tales and has another one coming. And although I have my own private opinions about his abilities as an author, I buy every W.C. Jameson book I see. I don't know what I could do with his info he's copied from others, but great entertaining reading.

I have all of those except the Spider rock book, which I didn't know about. I love his OK treasure tales book, and have had that for a very long time. I remember checking out the book Coronados Children from my junior highschool library many times. It may have been the first treasure book I ever read.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote that spyguy becomes official book reviewer for treasurenet. Not only are your reviews very good (at least to me), I dont think you have a single spelling or punctuation error either !!! You must be an english teacher or something. Guess I got to put Coronados children on the wish list too. Thanks for that rginn & jason. Glad I can go back to this thread in the future, because I cant afford all the ones I want at the same time. Gonna have to build a new set of book shelves too

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote that spyguy becomes official book reviewer for treasurenet. Not only are your reviews very good (at least to me), I dont think you have a single spelling or punctuation error either !!! You must be an english teacher or something. Guess I got to put Coronados children on the wish list too. Thanks for that rginn & jason. Glad I can go back to this thread in the future, because I cant afford all the ones I want at the same time. Gonna have to build a new set of book shelves too

What I want to know is...

When did the internet chat become a grammatically correct place . ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errr... I might point out...
That text via electronic means / texting has always gone the opposite direction. :P

When typing was invented... it was such a pain in the arse they invented shorthand and abbreviations to help.

Now we have the same thing... except we use / with emogies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont count me out yet. I still got a few on my shelves !! Im a glass guy, I love bottles, insulators, glass fishing floats, murano glass, Vasoline glass, depression glass etc. Etc.....glass is treasure to me and it holds its value well and can be got cheap at garage/yard/estate sales. I use this one when I see somthing at yard sales when I suspect depression glass. photo-300.JPG
Only went to 2 yard sales this year, hard to find anything when you dont go to them though. I missed this set a couple years ago because I was ignorant about it. photo-299.JPG I got this piece of crackle glass at the same yard sale though photo-298.JPG .

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No grammer grades here for sure. No worries AARC, just praising spyguys polished approach to book reviews. I can barely get through my own sentences. Lol !!!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
2B: If you haven't read Coronado's Children you are in for a treat! It's the granddaddy of treasure hunting books. It probably got more people out into the field than any title other than Treasure Island!

I have a copy of F.L. Coffman's 1001 that Bob Nesmith marked up while he read it. I ordered the book from his Foul Anchor Archives and he'd sold all he had so he just sent me his. The comments are very funny!

I haven't posted this in quite a while - forgive me if anyone has seen it before - The "Pancho Villa Treasure Map:"

Coffman 1001 #2.jpg

from F.L. Coffman's 1001 Lost, Buried and Sunken Treasures

Krippene TREASURE #2.jpg

from Ken Krippene's Buried Treasure

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have a lot but these are my current favorites. :happysmiley:

Attachments

• 20161215_080452.jpg
    20161215_080452.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 96

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Found this one while cleaning out an abandoned storage unit.
Interesting tales of the early days of using metal detectors and some about treasure hunting.

Treasure Under Your Feet by Roy Volker and Dick Richmond

Attachments

• photostudio_1481819077611_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    photostudio_1481819077611_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Karl von Mueller [Charles Dean Miller] The Treasure Hunter’s Manual #6 (Grand Prairie, Texas: 1961) Wraps and hard cover, numbered on the title page; "Special Printing Of the Sixth Edition"

This might be the single best book published on treasure finding. “The Old Man” wrote a unique guide.

KvonM THM #6 1.0 06 2013.jpg

Over five decades after the first edition saw the light of day, it is difficult to fully understand how ground-breaking this book really was. Here, for the first time, were the written secrets of a professional treasure hunter.

In typical fashion, KvonM provided “Answers to The Six Questions About Buried Treasure Hunting: What, When, Why, Who, Where, and How?" Then, in great detail, he wrote about “Instruments and tools,” “Clothing,” “Publicity and secrecy” (easily this chapter alone is worth the price of this book!), “Research,” “The law and treasure hunting,” “Taxes,” and much more.

KvonM THM #6 1.0 06 2013 001.jpg

Karl never lectured. Most of his hard-won knowledge and lore is passed along by telling stories. This not only makes his books as easy to read as they are informative (because the stories are quite interesting, and well-written) it means there are many layers to his writing.

THM #6 and #7 need to be re-read and re-read. You will learn something every time you do it!

No one knew it at the time, of course, but one of the most interesting aspects of THM #6 is that a few years later Karl would write a completely different book on the same subject: THM #7!

This is NOT the much more common RAM reprint – This is the original “Special Printing, published in a restricted quantity, incorporates Appendix B which will be found in no subsequent printings of the Treasure Hunter’s Manual.” Although it was when 8 States (Boulder, Colorado) reprinted it.

Appendix B includes Karl’s “Ghost Town Guide,” a fascinating “25 Exciting Treasure Locations” (long since lifted; but there is much to learn here if you can read between the lines); and the notorious “Roster.” This last list caused some problems for a few of the folks included.

Karl’s useful Bibliography is here (it was replaced when Garrett reprinted this book). A number of times Karl wrote “Most of the really valuable and helpful treasure books do not have the word ‘treasure’ in the title.” Yet most of his did!

The original B&W photos are all here. And – no surprise here! – the information on building your own treasure detector is presented. Charles Garrett saw no point in teaching treasure hunters how to build their own metal detector! Additionally, of course, this wouldn’t help today’s th’er, as the technology has changed so much since the mid-1960’s!

This is a masterpiece!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for the THM #6 1961 version for some time. Finally found it...... Had to fork over $65!!!

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006

[FONT=&quot]Blak bart,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I appreciate your vote of confidence and thank you for teeing up this thread. It has brought back many fond memories for me and I'm sure enlightened many others. As for the lack of spelling/grammatical errors I compiled these lists in MS Word then copied and pasted them to T-Net so you can thank Bill Gates. In the interest of rounding out my previous posts to an even 50 books here’s my final purge of picks --- I can’t recommend them highly enough
.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]38). Some Paths to Sudden Wealth by H. Glenn Carson This book is a nice primer with some seriously tantalizing leads. The author has written several other books on treasure hunting as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]39). Missing Mobster Millions and Other Gangland Gold by Thomas P. Terry An engaging read about various gangster buried treasures. It’s very short, but packed with entertaining info and true outlaw stories as they relate to treasure hunting. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]40). New Orleans: Treasure City (same author) New Orleans and surrounding area treasures are showcased to great effect. The stories are colorful and bring out the best leads as well as being short and sweet.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]41). Atlas of Shipwrecks & Treasure by Nigel Pickford This is a coffee table sized book filled with great stories and pictures relating to treasure ships. It’s chock full of history and the stories behind the stories, but doesn’t read like a typical history book.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]42). Stalin’s Silver by John Beasant Chronicles the successful recovery of a WWII treasure ship and its aftermath. Some of the chapters are edge-of-your-seat tense and descriptive.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]43). Gold Warriors: America’s Secret Recovery of Yamashita’s Gold by Sterling Seagrave A mind blowing expose of the biggest treasure story of WWII. If even a quarter of this stuff is true it’s still an amazing read. It gets a little conspiracy theory happy in places, but is worth the read whether that’s your poison or not.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]44). Hurricane Treasure: 1715 Beach Sites – Locations Revealed by Kevin Reilly Just what the title claims this book delivers the goods in terms of treasure beaches on Florida’s east coast. If you’re planning a trip there this book is worth its weight in gold (literally) and time saved.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]45). Oklahoma Treasures and Treasure Tales by Steve Wilson This is really a solid read with the stories well researched and fleshed out. Wilson picks some intriguing lost treasures to shine a light on and does a great job. It is lengthy, but is compulsively readable.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]46). Rebel Gold by Bob Brewer & Warren Getler Whether you believe the KGC existed or not this book is still an engrossing story of one man and his partner who claim to have uncovered several treasures related to them. Accompanied by some convincing pictures this book weaves together Civil War history and treasure hunting in a powerful way.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]47). The Treasure of the Great Reef by Arthur C. Clarke Known predominantly for his science fiction novels this story is about a real life treasure ship recovery he took part in during the 1960’s off Sri Lanka. It’s a short read and the fact that it’s so little known makes it a treasure itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]48). Expedition Whydah by Barry Clifford An account of the search and eventual excavation of the pirate ship of “Black Sam” Bellamy. This one will especially appeal to history buffs that enjoy pirate lore.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]49). 100 Tons of Gold by David Leon Chandler Victorio Peak and the infamous “Doc” Noss treasure are the subject of this great book. Part adventurer, part con man and murder victim there are no shortage of intriguing angles to this often told tale. This book is one of the best at doing the subject justice.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50). Buried Treasures of California by W.C. Jameson There’s a great story in here called ‘Hobo Camp Gold’ which happened at the end of the 1800’s near Washington, CA. I am convinced it is the source of the multi-million dollar find called the “Saddle Ridge Hoard” of gold coins a few years back by a couple on their property. The dates of the coins, location, and amount are too close to be a coincidence in my opinion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Happy Holidays & Happy Hunting![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] -spyguy[/FONT]

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mudflap: I bought a copy from KvonM about the time THM#7 was published. He told me it was the last one he had for sale and I paid $25 for it around 1965.

If you secured a copy in very good or better shape for $65 you did just fine. I'd probably ask $75.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Karl Von Mueller [Charles Dean Miller] The Treasure Hunter’s Manual 7[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition (Alamo, CA: 1966; Hardcover & Wraps) - This is the “Gold Bug” First Edition.

This is one of the best-selling treasure hunting books of all time.

KvonM THM #7 1st.jpg

After the runaway success of his Treasure Hunter’s Manual #6, “The Old Man” (although he wasn’t quite so old in the mid-1960’s!), Karl sat down and wrote a completely different book – THM #7.

This was KvonMr’s most productive treasure hunting writing period. He literally “wrote the book” when he produced these essential volumes for professional th’ers (he coined that term) and those who aspire to join that select fraternity.

Without a doubt this is the most complete handbook to successful treasure finding ever written. Well over 90% of what it covers is just as applicable today as it was written over four decades ago – and that is quite an achievement.

The famous “LUE Treasure Map” is here for the first time. Almost anything you read about this “natural Fort Knox” (which could be read at least two different ways) came from this book. Any copy of this map – on the Internet or otherwise – is reprinted from this book and probably without the permission of the copyright holder.

Karl beings at the beginning: “What is Treasure?” Other Chapters comprehensively explain, in detail, “When,” “Why,” “Who,” “Where,” and “How.”

Karl was the first treasure hunting author to offer accurate advice on “The Law” and “The Tax Problem.” Of course, he was the first th’ing (he coined that, by the way) author to discuss a lot of things!

You can’t read Chapter IX “Publicity and Secrecy” too many times. In successful treasure hunting – and in life – it pays to shut up and fly low.

There is, of course, much more – “Treasure Leads and Research,” “History,” “Legends and Myths,” “Disposition of Treasure” – if will do you more good if you convert it to cash after you find it, on and on.

As a kid Chapter XIX “Buried vs. Sunken Treasure” was eye-opening. I’d read countless stories of huge, unfound lost treasure ships. The fact is these are out of reach of almost everyone. And, as those who salvaged the SS John Barry discovered, finding it and recovering it may not be everything. However, Karl’s version of buried treasure finding is within reach of anyone with the willingness to try.

And a copy of this book couldn’t hurt a bit!

This is the first printing of the first edition. THM #7 was reprinted by RAM several times. Karl’s very useful Bibliography was replaced with books published by RAM. Some of the numerous B&W photos were changed, as well. And – no surprise here! – Appendix D “Building Your Own Treasure Detector” was removed. Charles Garrett saw no point in teaching treasure hunters how to build their own metal detector!

This is an essential book for every treasure finder.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went thru this thread for the first time today, wow I though I had a good collection. I have a couple bookcases in my house with several books on treasure in each and lots of maps I started collecting a long, long time ago. I think this coming week I will gather them up in one place and snap some pics to post.
My spouse thinks I have too many, so two months I donate a few of the ones' on metal detecting.
Here is one I found used last night that just ordered.
finding treasure jameson.jpg

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
clv: Please let us know what you think about that book. I find Mr. Jameson promises a great deal more than he delivers. His "autobiography" seems to be mostly fiction. He promises research in archives and ancient records and other obscure places. Some of his books don't have a bibliography. Those that do present sources that are, at best, second- or third-hand. Many of the yarns in his books are old, often-told tales.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think W.C. Jameson has an original thought one in any of his books, maybe never been to any of the places he talks about, just repeats what he looks up in other treasure books but changes a word or two, but I still like reading his books. He may be smarter than all of us, as Steve Wilson's brother once told me that J. Frank Dobie said the real gold lies in writing about treasure, not lookin for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread