Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always dread this time of year. Supposed to get down to -10 tonight. There has been snow on the ground for a week and I am already missing detecting. I will do the usual. Look at finds of others who live in warmer climates, watch detecting videos over and over, Look at treasure classifieds and see if there is anything that I need in my arsenal for spring and go through my finds from this year and reminisce. I will keep telling myself that we will have an early spring and that I can take care of things that I had been putting off while detecting. In my dreams I will be hunting virgin sites, finding Spanish silver and gold jewelry. Only to wake up to my nemesis......... Snow!:BangHead:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be digging probably to January 15. Sorry for your loss. Here in Maryland, it hardly ever freezes hard before then.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling but fortunately I might have 4 weeks to hunt before the ground freezes. It lasts for about 2 months in Ohio then the new season begins. How many coils do you have for the E-Trac?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been fortunate so far here in lower New York. We are finally getting some badly needed rain, but no snow yet. Come on April! :skullflag:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snowing here, too. I am going to be taking my recurve to an indoor bow range as my winter replacement for detecting. Going to avoid the rifle-season jackasses next year. I miss getting out with my machine already, though.:laughing7:

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling but fortunately I might have 4 weeks to hunt before the ground freezes. It lasts for about 2 months in Ohio then the new season begins. How many coils do you have for the E-Trac?
I have the stock coil and a Sunray X5 sniper coil.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ever use the sniper?
Oh yeah, I have a couple of trashy parks that are iron infested. My regular coil nulls out trying to hunt them. It has found me a few Wheaties that my other coil would not have found and some silver jewelry, but so far no old silver coins. I got it mid season, so I haven't gotten a lot of use with it. I was just getting proficient with the Etrac when winter hit. I finally took the leap and started digging the deeper targets. It paid off with a couple of old silver rings, 2 Mercs and a Rosie.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How deep has it air tested at. I am falling in love with my 5"DD. I swing about 1 to 2 inches above the soil due to the height of the grass. The sniper coil has hit on IHCs and old wheats at 10 inches below the coil. I am amazed at what coins I have pulled from previously gridded sites. Deeper targets are great to hear and with my detector and normally show a lower TID than normal.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know. I am not much of an air test guy. Never seems to translate to depth in soil. I know it goes deep in all metal or 2 tone Ferrous. 8"-10". Again depends on soil, trash density, and target size. I know the Merc I found with it was 8".

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime I am restricted from hunting because of the weather,, it is not a happy time. Especially if it is for an extended period of time.
Let's hope for a mild winter.

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted Montana in Dec. Usually doesn't go solid till mid January. Sunny southern exposures in wide open Montana still good for a few weeks. Any structures particularly with stone foundations can remain digable longer as it will act as a heat sink preventing the soil from freezing within a foot of its base. A sharp digging tool like a Sampson is a must to break through an inch of frozen crust. Keep hunting.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground is too hard to dig and snow is coming in Connecticut. When not using your detector for a while, take the batteries out. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my RNB and stock rechargeable all wrapped in plastic waiting for spring. I don't have too much room to complain as the winters in Montana are not as harsh or long lasting as they used to be. It used to be I had to wait till May before the snow melt, now it is late march or early April. Until then I will be looking at all of your finds with envy.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeraydj, besides playin those stacks and stacks of golden wax, go out where the city piles up the snow from the streets and hunt that. The ground is frozen here until late May, and I usually wait till they melt down, but I'm thinkin I might go out a little earlier this year. Plus, a little have detector ad in the local paper might bring in a little business from tourists who lose things in the snow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread