Post Hunt Fatigued - Am I The Only One?

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kicked me in the rear pretty hard today. Post Hunting Fatigue is what i'm calling it. I find myself very agitated and do not feel like talking to anyone after a hunt (even more so on unsuccessful ones).

What i'm wondering is if anyone else experiences this after their hunting, and what they attribute it to such as the exposure to dirt, etc. I usually rebound after a few hours but after being out in 50 degree weather today I really noticed it more than normal. (I was doing a lot in the stream with my new AT Pinpointer)

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm right there with yeah a metal detect every day and I do get fatigued especially when I'm not finding any silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My hunts are 8am to 1pm....
Up to an hour sorting through junk,keepers, coins....while knocking back a few cold ones....
Nap from 2 to about 4:30
I love Saturdays.....and sometimes Sundays too.

I won't detect if I know that I can't take a nap afterwards......can't do it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 57 and do not get fatigued or irritated as you described, how old are you? If I do hunt a manicured permission using only the Lesche hand tool, I do find it hard to open my hands the following day. Maybe after being in the water your body core temperature may have dropped slightly is my only guess so your body became sluggish due to a slight case of hypothermia :dontknow:

OP
OP
High Etiquette 009

High Etiquette 009

Nov 20, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter DISC 3300, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Ace 250, Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for the replies. I seem to be at 100% again today. I'm only 25 Loco-Digger, but have gained a lot of weight since HS and do not have the agility I once had. :icon_thumleft:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I'm a fairly active guy and I'll tell you, detecting is a work out. You're effectively squatting the equivalent of your own body weight every time you stand back up. If I recover 50 targets on an outing, I have "lifted" approximately 9,000 pounds. Some days I recover several hundred targets...and pay the price.....

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for the replies. I seem to be at 100% again today. I'm only 25 Loco-Digger, but have gained a lot of weight since HS and do not have the agility I once had. :icon_thumleft:
If your 25 and metal detecting wears you out, then you need a check up. Just saying.

HH RN

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like Loco, I too am 57, but unlike Loco, I'm in piss poor shape.

My activity level could be best described as "static", and I sit on my
arse way too many hours a day. Problem is, due to disease most days
I'm not up to any level of exercise. On good days I can do OK, but
before I start detecting come Spring I'll need to do some time on the
treadmill and doing slow squats. My knees and hip muscles and
tendons need to be strengthened, first.

Detected hard core in my younger years, so I know what's involved.
Already started on a cardio program, and by Spring I'll be in some
level of shape so I can enjoy the time out detecting instead of worrying
about how exhausted I'll feel after.

A shower, 2 Tylenol and some herbal muscle relaxer goes a long ways
in resting one up for the next days efforts..:occasion14:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
It might be what your eating or not. I used to explore wild caves with an NSS Grotto.
The people who had paid their dues if you get my meaning, would have a hi protein breakfast then while involved with exploring might take a break with something in a sugar like canned pears. Then it's time for protein again.
My newer wife later made me aware that I wasn't maintaining my energy needs because I ignoring my body.
She has a blood sugar condition ( not serious ) that makes her very aware of what her body is telling her.
You feeling bummed sounds like #1 have yourself checked for a condition like diabetes or another condition that makes your body respond to energy loss. It could be as simple as understanding when your body needs energy. Like a chocolate bar but usually your body needs protein. I found chewing on jerky was a good choice short time.
If your like me I don't think about it and sometimes end up stalled in a condition I don't understand. Protein doesn't happen fast and is more of a long term energy requirement. Eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When in the wild, improvise.

Anyway, just my history and thoughts on what you've described. Luck.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It kicked me in the rear pretty hard today. Post Hunting Fatigue is what i'm calling it. I find myself very agitated and do not feel like talking to anyone after a hunt (even more so on unsuccessful ones).

What i'm wondering is if anyone else experiences this after their hunting, and what they attribute it to such as the exposure to dirt, etc. I usually rebound after a few hours but after being out in 50 degree weather today I really noticed it more than normal. (I was doing a lot in the stream with my new AT Pinpointer)

Lack of beer, digging more horseshoes, damn dogs "helping" me dig... or my phone going off with some customer asking for a shade of stain between the 4 I offer on my toy boxes. This causes "hunting fatigue" for me.... Brad

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Post Hunting Fatigue is not as severe as that horrible winter affliction the yank's get, N.D.D. (Nature Deficit Disorder)

You're not stuck inside so push through!

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im 35 years old. I will say, after a long intense day I'm done. But, the fatigue was more hard core when I first started. I do move fast from dig to dig. I never counted my digs in a day but they are usually a lot. Working muscles that you didn't know you had is what hurts. I think detecting is good exercise. I don't wear out as fast now.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am 65 and have been detecting for ten years. I am good for four or five hours water detecting, but only a couple dirt hunting. It's the up and down that wears you out. I wouldn't be able to do either though if I didn't work to stay in shape, especially over the winter months. So its the gym for cardio and resistance weight training, an hour workout every other day for nine months of the year, with summers off for water detecting.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 60 and hadn't hunted in a while. Went yesterday in 40 degree weather and it really wore me out.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm 60 and hadn't hunted in a while. Went yesterday in 40 degree weather and it really wore me out.

Taking 2 Tylenol about half an hour before I start hunting makes a big
difference in the aches and pains at the end of the day. Another good
practice for us middle aged guys is to stretch out a bit before taking
off and swinging a coil. Loosening those muscles and tendons up keeps
the lower back from hurting so bad.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got tired just reading this thread

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread