Confederate soldier and family gravesite being paved over

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
This one is just sad folks. I mentioned this in another post recently, and it still upsets me... Its good to see it upsets some other folks too, at least enough that the media has started reporting on it... Maybe someone can stop any more damage to these graves... Not to mention with the old limestone head stones getting knocked over by farmers and what not, God knows there could already be some of the dead under the road or scrapped out to make a man made lake (seen in the picture).

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=128507&ran=152062&tref=y

T

TreasureTales

This is just appalling. When are a sense of history and a code of ethics going to overrule greed in this country? Somebody should issue the appropriate papers to have this gravesite (single family or multi-family is immaterial to me) relocated to a secure site! That would solve the problems. I've got ancestors whose graves were relocated in order to make room for "progress." Although they had to be relocated, at least I can still visit their graves and pay my respects. Some of my ancestors' graves have been paved over or totally forgetten, for them I am sorry that they would be treated so callously. I feel the same for all the dead (except some murderers, rapists, etc.), they should be treated with respect. A society that has no respect for the dead and its own history can have little respect for itself today.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think, if you had touched a thing on that site or had been seen using a detector nearby, you would have been in violation of federal laws as drawn up by the pore Archaeologists. Another prime example of a greedy treasure hunter destroying an important part of our history...sigh, logic?.

Don Jose de La Mancha

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
This really is sad. They should at least move the remains. See, the law really is a double edge sword. This time the greedy gets the nod. I agree, where's the archaeologists this time?

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are state laws protecting the gravesites. Enforcable by ANY state or local law enforcement. The city just doesn't care or doesn't know its rights and responsiblities.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off.... I am against this as well... but I thought I would pose a question...

What happens when we have no more room to bury the dead and 'progress' starts taking up more and more land? I am assuming that eventually at some point in time all possible land will be used up. Won't be for a LONG time, but it still could happen some day when this country is 500 million strong and land is at a premium.

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
progress will not be stopped! they will plow under bones, treasure, pave over the same, and you ,if in the way! you need to be rich and have a covey of lawyers on your side now adays. really mean lawyers. my .02 cents! Ben

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread