SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, ok, good point. Even though the machine belongs to the independent vendor, yet there must be some sort of legal subrogation for the management/franchise of the property to whom it sits on. For example, if the machine jams, guess who comes over to open it up and un-jam it ? A store employee (not the coin-star rep. employee). So that tells me that even though the machine is owned by someone else, yet they've got some sort of legal agreement of usage or staffing or something. Right ?

But even if we deduce that the machine, and the contents anywhere on/in it (the return tray, or wherever) belong to the vendor, not the store, then the problem still remains: You would merely be taking that independent vendor's property, right ? So no matter how you slice it, still not your property ?

the independent vendor did not pay for the coins and in fact rejected them. So why is it their property?

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think that the general laws for the area governing lost or abandoned property would apply.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
the independent vendor did not pay for the coins and in fact rejected them. So why is it their property?
Thank you Susan - worded beautifully!! :thumbsup:

"So no matter how you slice it, still not your property ?"
Correct. Absolutely correct. ...Not ANYBODY'S property. That's because the property has been abandoned. What would happen when the next customer comes there, dumps $2 in change, then checks the return slot to find more money than they dumped? Are they supposed to magically know how much of that came from them? Or better yet, IF any came from them??

So in the long (and short) of it, it's abandoned property and is therefore available to anyone on a first-come, first-serve basis. :toothy4:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't forget, the majority of what is rejected and left behind are foreign coins, Canadian in particular. If they were of value to Coinstar or a bank they wouldn't reject them.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
is the machine here different?
mine has the reject thingy in the front - hard not to see it
I've seen at least 2 different Coinstar machines; maybe more. ...And I don't get out much! One was a larger machine, and the reject slot was on the side...at least the way they had it positioned. Another style was the upright model, similar to the older boxy soda machines. One had an open reject tray, while another had a plastic door that you had to lift open. I think there was a plastic door on the larger machine also. Anyway, the one without the plastic door looked like it wouldn't hold much at all. The others had much more capacity for rejects.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, lemme throw this out there to gnaw on a while...:

There's a section here on Tnet dedicated to dumpster diving. When someone has something that they do not want, they throw it in a dumpster....providing they're responsible! :tongue3: Now you or I come along and, being the nitty-gritty scavengers that we are 8-), we look in said dumpster and see that....what's this? Somebody threw out a beautiful jacket and a lamp - BOTH nearly new!! The lamp only needs a new shade, and a cord, maybe the socket, and possibly a paint job, but other than that it's practically NEW!!

The jacket? Well heck, they must've just cut the dang tag off, as the ONLY thing wrong with it is that huge mustard stain all down the front. Looks sorta Art Nouveau to me! So we snatch them up in a heartbeat and make out like bandits. :laughing7:

Actually, the dumpster "technically" has stronger claim to its contents than the reject slot of a Coinstar machine. Why? Because the owner/Coinstar/whoever HAS a reject slot! It means they do not accept the contents, and it is the responsibility of the dumper to take them. If they fail to do so, then there "may" be some specific abandonment laws that could come into play, but we're only talking about what normally amounts to chump change. Not hardly worth worrying about, IMO.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen at least 2 different Coinstar machines; maybe more. ...And I don't get out much! One was a larger machine, and the reject slot was on the side...at least the way they had it positioned. Another style was the upright model, similar to the older boxy soda machines. One had an open reject tray, while another had a plastic door that you had to lift open. I think there was a plastic door on the larger machine also. Anyway, the one without the plastic door looked like it wouldn't hold much at all. The others had much more capacity for rejects.

Lot of different styles of coin counters out there. I did post the story of my big find on Tnet in July 2014.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Lot of different styles of coin counters out there. I did post the story of my big find on Tnet in July 2014.
Yeah, but I wasn't a member then, so now you gotta post it again. :occasion14: laughing hysterically.gif

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.....the coins belong to the finder......

I would think that the general laws for the area governing lost or abandoned property would apply.

.... So in the long (and short) of it, it's abandoned property and is therefore available to anyone on a first-come, first-serve basis.

All very interesting perspectives! If it falls under lost or abandoned property, then the state's lost & found laws would apply. And those don't kick in till $100 or-more value (depending on your state's particular dollar threshold).

But I don't think lost & found laws apply to private property. Do they ? ie.: what if I came to your house and "found" a mountain bike in the garage ? Or a cool apple phone on your night-stand ? Thus no, something tells me normal lost & found and "abandoned" laws are for public land. Not private land.

But perhaps I'm wrong. Because naturally there's private land that the public is allowed on, but "right to pass is revokable by owner" . Shopping centers would be that way, where ,.... you're not "trespassing" by being there, unless they tell you to leave and you don't comply.

In all likelihood , none of us is going to stop from checking the change slot. Even if we found out it's technically wrong. Why ? Because we know that no one cares less. But I'm still curious what the technical letter of the law says. I'm going to float it past an attorney call-in service that my company subscribes to. When I get the answer, I will post it here.

Great conversation guys. Thanx for the link Ron !

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, that's the grey area here. Most places have abandonment laws of $100 value or higher. This is lower - usually much so.

A yard or bedroom is not normally having the general public traversing it....not without the vice or narc squad watching as well. So while stores are private property, they are "commercial" property, as well as being a retail center. I'm not nearly a lawyer (can't stand lies!!), and I don't even play one on TV, but I'm willing to bet that the reject tray of Coinstar, or a soda machine, or a pay phone are all for whomever happens to check it first and find something. There's no possible way to log the contents of the reject tray, as doing so would show the machine that it's rejecting good, modern coinage. And it IS the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the machine is 1) in good working order and 2) calibrated properly.

Yes Tom, it would be truly enlightening to see what an attorney would have to say on the topic. Thank you!! :icon_thumright:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but I wasn't a member then, so now you gotta post it again. :occasion14: View attachment 1391286

Easy to look up threads that members started or posted to. Just click on my user name at left, when my profile opens click on Latest started Threads, then scroll down.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yes, that's the grey area here. Most places have abandonment laws of $100 value or higher. This is lower - usually much so.

A yard or bedroom is not normally having the general public traversing it....not without the vice or narc squad watching as well. So while stores are private property, they are "commercial" property, as well as being a retail center........

Yes Tom, it would be truly enlightening to see what an attorney would have to say on the topic. Thank you!! :icon_thumright:

Yes, there is private property where the public allowed and welcome (shopping centers, churches, etc...). I don't know what the legal defintions/names of each type is, but .... there must be some distinction.

And yes, I'm going to call right now to this lawyer service my company subscribes to. It takes 6 to 8 hrs. for them to call back. Will let y'all know the legal answer. I realize it won't change anyone's habits , but will be interesting to know.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Just posted a new thread to share the lawyer's answer, as to ownership of contents found in Coin-star machines.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I once saw some silver coins in the reject tray and offered to buy all of them for 5 dollars (all I had in cash at the time, paying with credit card at supermarket). They were very excited for getting way above face for them, and I got some silver. Everyone happy in the end :)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once saw some silver coins in the reject tray and offered to buy all of them for 5 dollars (all I had in cash at the time, paying with credit card at supermarket). They were very excited for getting way above face for them, and I got some silver. Everyone happy in the end :)

You wasted five dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread