🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Paid who for them?.....
When I find a silver dime in the coinstar, I'm not running to a cashier, or customer service desk, saying "hey, I found this dime, I'll give you a quarter for it!".....
Got to be more specific details for me not to be all wtf....

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
kcm --> Duh (small).png

....Ya' ever have one of them moments, and it just won't go away? :dontknow:

OP
OP
SeabeeRon

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello all,
Just wanted to say hello to the group, and add my two cents to the blog. Being a "rookie" to the awesome world of detecting, just have some info. on this post. Being a 25 year (now retired) Law Enforcement Officer, just passing on some friendly advice. Although the coinstar machine is located in the Stop and Shop, the discarded coins are in fact part of a crime. Those coins being part of the initial theft, are evidence from said event, hence anyone having them in their possession could be charged with "possession of stolen property". Would it happen, probably not. Could it happen, sure could!
Depending on the remaining coins and the value of said coins, could definitely enhance the charge. As much as I too would want to keep the find, anyone that did find them should (for everyone involved) sake, should turn them over to the authority handling the case. I'm sure the old boy that had them stolen from him would be much appreciative as well.
Again, just my two cents and hate being a "party-pooper", would hate for someone that was actually innocent of wrong doing end up catching a charge for something they had no idea about!
Happy Hunting Friends!

The above is copied from another forum where this thread first originated. I thought it was an interesting view on who those coins belong to in this particular situation.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh you all think too much
if I find a coin in a parking lot I pocket it, the store isn't looking for it

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a former addict myself I can say the guy's son is not only a addict but also a idiot. I have a feeling he was a idiot before he became a addict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gatordog7

Sep 21, 2015
Hixson, TN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett Pinpointer, Lesche digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today as I was leaving Food City I went by their coin counting machine and sure enough 6 coins were in the reject tray. I reached in and pulled them out. When I got to my car I checked them out. Nothing special just modern pennies with some dirt/junk on them which probably caused their rejecion. I then had to go to Publix for a few other items and while going through the self checkout I reached down for my receipt and boom, bills laying in the change tray. I pulled them out and checked them when I got to my car and found someone left 3 $1 bills behind. It wasnt the lady in front of me as she used a debit card. No telling how long they had been there but I learned a lesson. I will now not only check the coin machine but also the bill change tray at the self check out. Those $3 are now in my found/dug money jar.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...that's a tougher one. If the person who left the ones there comes back to the store claiming they didn't get all their change back, the store is probably going to think they're lying, as nobody turned in the $3. I would have had to notify the cashier on that one, or at least take the $1's to the Customer Service desk. But yeah, that's pretty weird that someone would be so distracted that they'd leave that much behind.

gatordog7

Sep 21, 2015
Hixson, TN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett Pinpointer, Lesche digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doller bills not in reject trays but in change tray of self checkout. My first time for that.

My first reject tray yielded a silver dime, a few pennies and a Canadian quarter. Since then just pennies and nothing.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...that's a tougher one. If the person who left the ones there comes back to the store claiming they didn't get all their change back, the store is probably going to think they're lying, as nobody turned in the $3. I would have had to notify the cashier on that one, or at least take the $1's to the Customer Service desk. But yeah, that's pretty weird that someone would be so distracted that they'd leave that much behind.
If the store had any questions they check their surveillance tapes.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. If one doesn't think a camera isn't on their face with a time stamp...they need to look closely next time.

And that one employee tending 15 self-checkouts; primarily as a psychological effect.

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
For those of you who are worried about the legality/ethics of taking the coins out of the return slot, there is a simple and easy solution to this:

Grab the loot, walk up to the customer service counter (or other nearest bored employee), hold out your hand to show them the coins and tell them where you found them, and ask if you can keep them. They've always said "yes" to me, given me a confused look like I was an weirdo for even asking, and then I thank them as I walk out of the store with my loot.

Best thing I've gotten was a mercury dime. Totally worth simply asking for permission.

-mcl

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at a Walmart with one of those machines and just glanced at the reject tray after reading this post. There wasn't a thing there but a mentally disabled guy came up to me while I waited for the wife to check out. He was funny when he told me he checks out the reject tray all the time. I never really thought to before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread