Tax Time to Report Finds as Income

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm self-employed as a metal detectorist. I pay myself a reasonable $10.00 an hour, but I rarely find more than $3.00 an hour. Therefore, my business has incurred a net loss, so no need to file an income tax return...

Really ? I don't think so. Business that file a "loss" still have to file. Sure you'll "owe no taxes" (if your write-offs exceed you incomes). But filing is still necessary. Just ask an IRS lawyer (you can't be too safe afterall).

So hurry ..... do the right thing. Make us all proud :)

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Really ? I don't think so. Business that file a "loss" still have to file. Sure you'll "owe no taxes" (if your write-offs exceed you incomes). But filing is still necessary. Just ask an IRS lawyer (you can't be too safe afterall).

So hurry ..... do the right thing. Make us all proud :)

Yup..

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Just start a new unprofitable business every five years. That's what it seems many of the bars around here do they change names so often.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm self-employed as a metal detectorist. I pay myself a reasonable $10.00 an hour, but I rarely find more than $3.00 an hour. Therefore, my business has incurred a net loss, so no need to file an income tax return...
Oh oh! Here come the protestors followed by the Feds!!:tongue3: They're gonna protest and have you arrested and take away all your pulltabs because you're paying yourself $3.00 instead of the $10 minimum, shame on you not paying yourself minimum wage!:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh oh! Here come the protestors followed by the Feds!!:tongue3: They're gonna protest and have you arrested and take away all your pulltabs because you're paying yourself $3.00 instead of the $10 minimum, shame on you not paying yourself minimum wage!:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

He's his own intern. lucky he gets paid at all! :laughing7:

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know nothing, I saw nothing, I found nothing!:occasion14:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really ? I don't think so. Business that file a "loss" still have to file. Sure you'll "owe no taxes" (if your write-offs exceed you incomes). But filing is still necessary. Just ask an IRS lawyer (you can't be too safe afterall). So hurry ..... do the right thing. Make us all proud

I was kidding, of course. But remember that everyone in this country is innocent until proven guilty. Even the IRS has to prove guilt. Without a paper trail, the IRS has jack squat. I believe everyone should pay their fair share, but some taxes are just ridiculous.

Here's a perfect example. If I find a cache of silver coins worth $500,000, the IRS would expect me to declare that as income, even if I never plan on selling it. The inherent flaw here is that I would have to sell some of the coins to cover the taxes! Not right and it shouldn't be legal. It's not income if you don't sell it. If I sell it in 20 years, then it would be income and that's when I should have to pay taxes on it. Just my take on it...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Without a paper trail, the IRS has jack squat....

Ahhh, but we have your T' net "today's finds" show & tell posts as the "papertrail". Plus I have video of you in the park digging those clad quarters and dimes. Tsk tsk.

....to declare that as income, even if I never plan on selling it. .....

Ok, if you never cash in that clad, and never sell your key date stuff on ebay (we're watching your ebay account), then you're fine. Yes, not till sold or used ("realized") does it qualify as income I think .

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom sounds like he's been drinking the IRS Kool-Aid. Everyone must pay their fair share. Big brother is watching you. Not reporting your $100 in clad finds is punishable by death. Obey, obey, obey...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, if you never cash in that clad, and never sell your key date stuff on ebay (we're watching your ebay account), then you're fine. Yes, not till sold or used ("realized") does it qualify as income I think

Sorry, that's not how the IRS works. You have to declare it in the year that you found it, even if you don't want to sell the coins. One of the more vile things the IRS pulls on the good people in this country...

Found Money is Awesome?.But You Must Pay Uncle Sam | Fox Business

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
There are two events that cause group relationships to explode (or implode): Failure and Success.

Far too many ventures fail to plan for success.

An interesting article:

Forbes Welcome

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I clean and tumble clad to get it into circulation...think I can deduct that expense? :coffee2:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
There is also depreciation on tumblers to consider. So you set up a five year depreciation schedule
on your tumbler so you're not hit with an audit. What happened with the Paperwork Reduction Act?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I clean and tumble clad to get it into circulation...think I can deduct that expense? :coffee2:
Good question! I've had one experience that might apply. Got audited one year. The big red flag was I had my tax preparer try to depreciate my metal detectors and equipment. My preparer & I spent almost two weeks getting my ducks in a row. We walked in and were sitting in front of the IRS guy. This guy had a "Holier than thow attitude as big as Texas" after he flips through the papers he had, he shoves a paper across the desk and tells me to sign it. I asked him if I signed "this document" would I be giving up ANY of my constitutional rights. His reply? "Just sign this so we can move along". Asked him two more times. This guy was P1$$ed!!! Gets up from his desk slams his file shut and storms out of the office! We're sitting there wondering if he went to get officers to arrest us or what. After 20 or 25 minutes he comes down the hall laughing with another employee and as soon as he sees us still sitting there he's shocked! All he manages to say is "You're still here? You can leave." All the work we did and that was all it took? ???:icon_scratch:??? Over the years I've told several people about this incident, and they've used it, more successively than not.

Ok, Here comes Tom spouting off with the anti govt. stuff! :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom sounds like he's been drinking the IRS Kool-Aid. Everyone must pay their fair share. Big brother is watching you. Not reporting your $100 in clad finds is punishable by death. Obey, obey, obey...

I hope you escape N. Korea one day. :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sorry, that's not how the IRS works. You have to declare it in the year that you found it, even if you don't want to sell the coins. One of the more vile things the IRS pulls on the good people in this country...

Found Money is Awesome?.But You Must Pay Uncle Sam | Fox Business

Great link Free-bird. Was fun reading. Lots of legal precedents there. Yup, sounds like the IRS :) Here's the sum up quote: "... The lesson to be learned here is that almost every dime that comes into your possession is likely to be taxable income...."

I guess it would be no different than your employer paying you your paycheck: Your payroll taxes are witheld right then, whether or not you spent the $$ right then. So as for the clad, you appear to be right: Taxable even though it sits in jars at our houses. Shame on us :)

But how about when you find a 1916 D merc. dime that's worth $1000.00 ? I'm betting that you're not liable for the tax on that UNTIL you sell it. Otherwise, in the meantime, it's worth .10 c ?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but deducting expenses in regards to detecting is not allowable as a hobby... which is EXACTLY why I have a LLC business and run it as one...

ag

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Ok, Here comes Tom spouting off with the anti govt. stuff! :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

No no, I'm pro-government. You should've signed the papers they gave you. And should be paying our taxes on your finds. And you shouldn't take vending machine coin-return proceeds. And you shouldn't detect anywhere that doesn't have a glaring "md'ing allowed here" signage.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but deducting expenses in regards to detecting is not allowable as a hobby... which is EXACTLY why I have a LLC business and run it as one...

ag

ag-flit, your post sent me on a hunting excursion. Here's some info:

https://www.irs.com/articles/tax-tips-people-who-earn-income-hobby

But if I'm understanding this correctly, this isn't saying that incidental hobby incomes ISN'T taxable, but rather: The point at which you BEGIN TO TREAT IT as a business (such that you can deduct expenses).

Some key quotes in that link:

" .... If you have a hobby that is also a source of income, you’re required to report the income on your Federal tax return....."

&

Hobby vs. Business

For tax purposes, a hobby is defined as an activity that you engage in “for sport or recreation, not to make a profit.” Even if you earn occasional income from doing such an activity, the primary purpose must be something other than making a profit.

&

".... According to the IRS, an activity is deemed as a business if it makes a profit during at least 3 of the last 5 tax years, including the current year ....."

Regarding what's highlighted in red above: We all "earn occasional income". Yet our "Primary purpose" is not to make a profit.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread