Questions from a newbie

Beachbum74

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2007
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark / White's Surf 11
I am new to the hobby and have a few questions. I live in Myrtle Beach,SC and I have a Whites Surf 11. Where is the best place on the beach to look and when is the best times to search. I also want to get into the ocean since my metal detector is water proof and any techniques and ideas for someone new in this area would also be appreciated. I thought that arround the bigger hotels would be the best place to look and figure late in the evening after the crowds have left for the day. This seems logical to me but I figure some of you guys that have been in this awhile may have better suggestions. Also I have thought about the old Air Force Base would be a good place to check arround but do not know what the laws are about public areas. Also what are the best tools to use for areas away from the beach to use. I am looking for the best things to use to do less damage but also be the easiest to use. I guess I have alot of questions but I figure someone out there will help me out. Thanks in advance. Jeff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachbum,

Welcome to Treasurenet and to the hobby. Be forewarned, it is V-e-r-y a-d-d-i-c-t-i-v-e.

One of the best things you can do starting out is to go to this link http://thegoldenolde.com/ and read the beach and water hunting section, read it over and over, it will greatly help you. After your done return and ask questions on things you don't understand. There are many who will help you , but the goldenolde will give you a good start.....

B

BIG61AL

I'd start hitting the sand where the people area sand drops off and slopes to the water. The surf pushes everthing here before the tide takes the water back out. After storms look for new cuts like these. Go out at low tide and get in the water as far as you work it comfortably. Don't forget to look in the flat sloped sand before the tide gets back in. On wet or dry sand I like to find my target and scoop deep on the target and throw the sand behind the hole and repete this to the left and right of the target, swing the coil again and 60% of the time the target is in one the sand piles and easy to find without having to shake and siff three giant piles of sand.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If I had to pick a best time to hunt the beach, it would be right after a fast moving thunderstorm moved in and made everybody scurry off the beach in a bit of a hurry. Things laying on a beach towel get tossed when the towel is shaken to get the sand off and the items aren't missed until they are back at the hotel. People tend to drop things or lose things when they are in a hurry. So this, IMHO, would be the most productive time to hunt.

On regular days, you will have pretty stiff competition from all geezers with detectors (I'm one so I can say that) who seem to roam the beaches endlessly. You go out early, you follow footsteps with holes dug every few yards. You go out late, more footprints and holes. You go out at night and you'll see a few flashlights. The only way to compete with this is to be better than they are. Learn your machine, practice in a good test bed. There's always stuff on a beach with people and the best searcher will find the most.

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread