Desert and remote area safety

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here east of where I live is the hwy.49 corridor which runs through what is called the motherload of California Gold rush history. While researching and exploring and prospecting I have ran across just about all of the above except no wild pigs, the biggest threat is meth cookers and pot growers. I learned to never go alone and always be armed. And let it be known Tom is the Jedi Master Treasure hunter. His Gold coin count and Reale count speaks for itself! Just my humble opinion.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I still love you Tom, even when your opinion suffers. ....

I love you too Terry ! Hey, you gotta shake up an md'ing forum from time to time with topics up-for-debate. Lest .... it wouldn't be a "forum" after all ! :)

I hunt with 2 different guys that "carry". They've never had to shoot anyone or any wild animals, but .... oh well !

..... And let it be known Tom is the . ...

Yes. But I lack any caution level or risk assessment. Safety is over-rated and for wussies :)

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoy reading the replies to my question post. The banter and rebuttals give a lot of food for thought. I can tell the members on this site have special bond between themselves which make reading the replies like time tested advice from a family member. If you consider my knowledge of the desert to cowboy movies, the advice you are talking about is really appreciated.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK buddy. You explore a few old mines in the desert and run into wild boar, bobcat, or a mountain lion and you are not armed, I hope you can run faster than I can! :headbang:
I can out run you, but not these animals, so I do not feel safe in deserts. Good hunting and good luck.

Sengoku

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2015
JAPAN
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do most of my hunting in steep rugged mountains, not very far in from the road only one or two km. , but the terrain is rough and usually trail less. There are boars, bear and vipers. Always have first aid kit, cell phone, rain gear, food and drink. And enough emergency gear to spend the night, emergency blanket, small tarp, headlamp, knife etc. maps and tell someone where I'll be.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Couple years back I was going from sd to nd.
In some federal grassland area there was a campground with not one person in miles.
It would have been the best in the wild camping ever!
I got a bad feeling. Like this would be where I would dump a body!
First time I ever felt afraid and I was not around people.
Weird

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a women, there are ton's of remote areas I want to poke around in, but simply haven't been able to. I see the YouTube video's of guys packing in alone for a two or three day trip and would LOVE to hike in and do that. You guys have so much less to worry about. But the idea of doing it by myself is terrifying. I'm not afraid of the animals. It's people I'm afraid of. Most of the guys I have met while sluicing in San Gabriel are amazed I'm there alone, and I'm slucing in a fairly populated area close to the parking lot. You have to admit, prospecting as a women is fairly uncommon. And pretty much all my girlfriends have ZERO interest in digging dirt and washing rocks. As much as they all love gold and gemstones.

I look back on the Europe trip I did with my best friend at the time at 18. Young and dumb, the movie Taken hadn't been released yet, it was the summer of 1999 and as a young adult I felt untouchable. We had our room busted in on in the hotel we were staying in at like 3am in the French Riviera. Thankfully two american guys were staying across the hall from us and heard the us screaming and the guys who kicked the door in ran off. Shitty lock, didn't latch securely, should have asked for another room, again, young and dumb. In todays political climate, I don't think I would do that same trip without a man with me.

I'm sure I "could" do that trip again, or pack in by myself. But I simply believe that there is an added risk that men don't have to deal with, simply because I'm a women. And that risk is random encounters with unknown men. And that risk increases exponentially the more isolated I am from other people. You can take two identical situations. A single person camping alone next to the river/trail. If it's a guy, and another hiker/prospector/homeless/mountain man finds you, chances are they are going to walk right past most of the time. Maybe give you a, "hey" as they walk by. Maybe ask how the gold has been that day. As a women in that same situation, I can almost guarentee that the guy is going to stop and want to talk. From there, it's anyones guess. I'm sure 99% of the time, the encounter is harmless, but it only takes one time.

People act a lot differently in isolation. And there are some interesting people up in the mountains.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, it's refreshing you guys also think about encounters with other men. Glad it's not just a girl thing. LOL

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, it's refreshing you guys also think about encounters with other men. Glad it's not just a girl thing. LOL

In almost every victim story of their attack.. they will most certainly say that " I never thought it would happen to me".. I always feel more comfortable having someone with me; if only for the extra set of eyes.

It's good that you think about safety.. we should all stay on our toes.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of being safe in the woods or the deserts is being aware and knowing your limits on your outdoor skills. As far as carrying I myself have never had to.But I also don't go into the "hood" to detect for change, again that goes back to being aware of where you are at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread