Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you planning on hunting? Relics/coins/gold or are you looking for just an all around detector.You will get guys that swear by only the brand they use. So really it will depend on what you need not what other people suggest because their detectors might suit what they hunt for.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
What are you planning on hunting? Relics/coins/gold or are you looking for just an all around detector.....

He will probably say "all of the above". That is the usual answer to your question :)

But I see you included the option of "all around detector". He will need to be aware that any detector that can switch back and forth between multiple hunt types, will excel in none of them. Eg.: a detector excellent for deep coins, will not wain in the nugget arena. A detector that is killer for deep BB-sized nuggets, will wain in the coin arena . A detector that killer for seeing through and around iron, will wain on wet salt beach hunting. A detector that's killer for caches (a 2-box) will be terrible for small fumble fingers targets.

Not that cross-over machines haven't been attempted and done, but .... they will be compromises that cost you, when you get into competitive hard-core needs for any of those arenas.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can continue to chase "the best", but you'll never be better than the one who invests all his time in one descent detector. The machines you are using are very good, especially if you have countless hours using them. I'd rather be great at one rather than pretty good on many.

Yaquina

Greenie
Jun 14, 2006
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, DFX, Surfmaster PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy any companies top of the line detector there is going to be a steep learning curve. The less experience you have with detector's, the steeper the learning curve will be. The V3i you mention is a great detector, if you know or learn to use it.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are you willing to spent? What are you looking for? Read all you can from many dealers for advice and price. Good hunting and good luck.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumb_up:Well, you'll not outgrow the V3i after a few years. Plenty to keep you entertained for a long time. You might like it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only have my first one.
I await a detector that only picks up gold, silver and cool old relics.
Oh and has radio on the headphones until you get something good.
Also a beer holder on some sort of gyro.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own two detectors. I use them both. While I only need one detector, I have them set up differently. My F&% has a 11" inch stock coil that gives me good coverage and still maintains sensitivity. My AT Pro has a 5x8 small coil I use for places like trashy areas the my F75 gets coil overload. I also was tired of beating my F75 on some hunts, so the AT Pro is my beater machine. Now having seen the Etrac being worked, I would not mind trying the etrac. Being you hunt all types of Hunting I would go with the T2 or F75. Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread