Is history being rewritten or are historians wrong?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the way history has the old West storied. My State makes real money on the stories especially Billy The Kid.
People come from all over the world to see the town of Lincoln NM and walk through the streets and stores.
I even enjoy it. How much is true depends on what you want. There have been movies about BTK that are obviously false
bordering on fraud. Some others not so much. The obvious benefit of these stories is we get to make believe.
Stories can also be like the game of chairs where one person whispers something to the one next to them and down the line.
The last person tells what they heard to see if the whisper changed.

Look at the stories that came from the Kennedy assassination. Lots. I wonder which ones will survive time.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
hvacker:

Didn't I see a house associated with Billy the Kid offered for sale a few years ago? From the photos it did look like an OK place but it was certainly priced up for the association.

Personally, I think it is nonsense to suggest The Kid (or Jesse James or John Wilkes Booth) didn't die where and when the history books tell us. The three most notorious outlaws of the 19th Century all escaped justice?

And the thousands of people it would have taken to pull it off remained pretty much silent?

It's just silly.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
neo:

Thank you. I was thinking of "Hardrock" Hendricks book. At the risk of repeating myself - I wouldn't take much in The Bad Men of the West seriously.

There are a number of good books on Charles Goodnight. The biography by J. Evetts Haley Charles Goodnight, Cowboy and Plainsman (1936) comes to mind. Through your local library you should be able to review Ramon F. Adams excellent Burs Under the SaddlIt can guide you to reliable histories of the Old West.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't see the house of BTK but I remember when Gov Richardson was considering digging up a grave to test the DNA of BTK.
Fairly creepy and what would be gained. The only known photo sold for a bunch. Some say he was so popular because he spoke Spanish and got respect because of it.
Then there was Brushy Bill from TX saying he was the Kid.

Maybe it's time we just considered historical accounts as entertainment.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
hvacker: I agree - ghoulish. And not the Hungarian kind, either...

The Brushy Bill claim was, to my mind, disproved by Ramon F. Adams in A Fitting Death for Billy the Kid. And by others. If some people refuse to accept the evidence so overwhelming it amounts to proof - well, just ignore them and move on.

That's the real "entertainment." For some. I find facts much more interesting.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping Bill would publicly apologize for his mistake...these people deserve to be recognized and remembered as the only people killed in the U.S. due to enemy action during WWII.

Perhaps you should specify on "US soil".

But I would disagree based on the numbers of civilian ship's crew killed within the twelve-mile limit of the Eastern Seaboard; especially Long Island Sound to Cape Hatteras. 5,000 deaths and 400 ships sunk.

And not counting 55 to 68 civilian casualties in Hawaii, also (count varies).

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps you should specify on "US soil".

But I would disagree based on the numbers of civilian ship's crew killed within the twelve-mile limit of the Eastern Seaboard; especially Long Island Sound to Cape Hatteras. 5,000 deaths and 400 ships sunk.

And not counting 55 to 68 civilian casualties in Hawaii, also (count varies).

All anyone has to do is, Google "deaths on U.S. soil during WWII," to read the complete story. I don't make up the statistics....read them for youself!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread