Door Knocking

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This topic has been bought up many times per year since I joined in 2014. I just addressed a post from earlier this week concerning permissions. When I began to lurk here back in 2013, I searched threads for the info that interested me. It's amazing at what you can find covering any topic.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only suggestion is that if the house is a rockin', don't go a knockin'.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I am in NY I get 2 out of 3 saying yes. In the last year that meant NY, NJ and CT coppers. Also KG's, LC's, Indians, seated, Barbers and a whole bunch of other stuff. Got my first liberty cap LC from a door knock as well as my first Vermont landscape copper. Got 3 in a row to say yes earlier in the year. When I do get a no I just figure I'm one step closer to a yes.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your first door knock will be a little nerving. One person compared it to asking a pretty girl out on a date. Its a numbers game so the more you ask the more youll get yesses. And each yes boosts your confidence as well. Once you hit a yard thats loaded with treasure that helps you with the next knock as well.

A third pf the time no one will answer. Next third are nos and the last third are yes have a blast. Just keep knocking. Also it doesnt hurt to try a NO house again in a couple years. Owners change and some people soften up a little as well.

Good luck

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new angle is I bring 2 detectors... And tell the owner they can use one also... So far I haven't knocked on a door to do it yet... Soon in will and will post results.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
It's just like seeking out someone for a one night stand - a numbers game. Ask enough people and somebody will eventually say yes.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Do you have a business card? "I find lost items" or "You lose it - I find it" or a similar one? KvonM advocated that many years ago. You can buy 500 business cards for about $10. Look professional and be professional.

Be very sure what you are asking for. Have an "elevator speech" ready. How are you going to split what you find?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of my gravest fears.
GL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a business card? "I find lost items" or "You lose it - I find it" or a similar one? KvonM advocated that many years ago. You can buy 500 business cards for about $10. Look professional and be professional.

Be very sure what you are asking for. Have an "elevator speech" ready. How are you going to split what you find?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

LOL
I got the Wife on that BC In The works as we speak, one of those New Years (To Do) Deals.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
never mention the word " DIG " , never use the word " HUNT " , never wear camo. It scares them. I carry a complete set-up and offer including belt , digger , headphones and a Tesoro Silver umax. Plus I own a restaurant and I bribe them with meal coupons from our restaurant. You should see their mouths water !

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've ask 4 houses around my job site and have had only I don't think so. All you can do is just do it.

OP
OP
A

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new angle is I bring 2 detectors... And tell the owner they can use one also... So far I haven't knocked on a door to do it yet... Soon in will and will post results.

Yeah I dont have 2 detectors to try this one out

OP
OP
A

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never mention the word " DIG " , never use the word " HUNT " , never wear camo. It scares them. I carry a complete set-up and offer including belt , digger , headphones and a Tesoro Silver umax. Plus I own a restaurant and I bribe them with meal coupons from our restaurant. You should see their mouths water !

When I go digging I usually wear my old army camo pants...(acu) I do live in a very military friendly town being that we are home to the strategic air command.....I dont think people here would be scared by camo.....

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I go digging I usually wear my old army camo pants...(acu) I do live in a very military friendly town being that we are home to the strategic air command.....I dont think people here would be scared by camo.....

I would never wear camo door knocking. Last year I got some nice permissions granted by women who were senior citizens, one was 92. If I was wearing camo I think it would have scared them or they would have thought I was there to ask permission to hunt. 99% of the time it's jeans, a flannel shirt and suspenders. It creates more of a country boy appearance which most people feel is not threatening. In the hot weather I replace the flannel with a pullover shirt with a collar, not T shirts. It's been very successful.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Dressing like Men in Black doesn't work at all unless you mention an acronym and bomb!

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Always explain how you always fill your holes and if good grass area you cut a square of grass and when done grass goes back down and looks very good. Your best number one tool is to have a young child or grandchild with you that you have hunt with you with their own machine. Very hard for people to say no to kids. Don't don't DONT knock on the door with a machine and shovel in your hand. Lol. Good luck.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Be forthright and direct. Go up to the door with your detector. Make sure you have your head phones on. Knock. When the door opens say, ' I'm here to detect your property.' Turn away immediately and proceed onto property swinging your detector. Try it. I imagine reaction from property owners will vary.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread