Your coil from the shaft...how far? AT Pro

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to start working on a straight shaft for my AT Pro and I just had a couple of questions. I have my lower plastic shaft set on the seventh set of holes from the bottom, the coil is about 8 inches from the metal middle shaft. I am 5' 10" and was just wondering where everyone else keeps theirs set. I also wanted to know why my coil doesn't pick this metal shaft up as it would be even closer than that when detecting as the coil would be angled back? When I am using my NEL Storm coil it seems to false at the end of my swing sometimes, could this be why? I don't remember it falsing as much with the smaller 5x8 coil on it. If I was able keep the coil from falsing and lighten the shaft up thats a win win.
Thanks for the help

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine set on the 5th notch, but I'm 6'3". I used to set it on the 4th notch, but my arm wore out faster with that setting.

I think the reason it doesn't detect the shaft is because the shaft is moving in unison with the coil. The coil only detects objects when it passes over them. That's why you have to wrap your coil cable tightly around the shaft. If it flops around, the coil might detect the movement of the cable.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also make sure you ground balance that coil at half sensitivity I have the attack coil love it

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks...I will post a couple of pictures when I get it done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread