About to buy my first metal detector

Hardwaysmitty

Jan 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I have been wanting to treasure hunt for 30 years or more.I am about to finally buy a detector.I just joined and this is my first post so go easy on me please.I have read countless reviews and discussions on the best md to buy.I live in central Ohio and will be searching fresh water beaches,parks and fields.Problem is that I go to salt water beaches a couple weeks a year and would like a machine good for dry and wet sand as well.(waterproof not necessary)Is the garret at pro to advanced for a beginner?should I get the compadre?I hear too much information.Somebody please simplify..thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and Welcome from NY! Get the AT Pro. Great machine to learn on. Not great for saltwater wet sand, but a killer in the dry sand.

thesamurair

Jan 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the site also. Just picked up a Garrett ace 400.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would suggest looking on Utube. This site has about any video on any given Metal Detector type and manufacture. If you haven't tried this already, they show most of these units in use and in the field. Best of luck to you in your decision. Utube in my opinion is a great research tool. There is a lot of junk on there, but there is an awful lot of great videos and information. Let us know what you decide on.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher f70 or F75 may fit your needs as well

OP
OP
H

Hardwaysmitty

Jan 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you,I also enjoy learning on you tube.I will research the fishers as well.I heard the AT pro is new to the market so there are not a lot of reviews.Anyone know how true that is?All reviews I have seen are mostly good!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Are you looking for something that is easy to learn, or do you lean towards something more complex that still can be used right out of the box with preset programs? Is the weight of the detector a factor? Answer those questions and it can help to further narrow down your search. Perhaps others will suggest some questions you should be asking yourself. Finally if you go with something from a big name manufacturer in your price range you should be fine. Personally I wouldn’t go high for my first detector but that is relative. Spent $300.00 on my first detector. It was used. Saved me about $150.00. Its light and easy to use. Still have it and uses it.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Terry. imo the ATP is the best value in a all around machine. Great machine to learn on, and if you decide to go to the next level, like with a CTX or something, I'm betting that youll keep the ATP for a backup/loaner.

(Note that it isn't very good in salt water. You can make it work, but its a constant battle in salt to get good depth and sensitivity.)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
At the bottom of the Forum page you'll find several "Supporting Vendors." Kellyco has some very good information on how to pick your first detector (look under the "Library") tab. And - where to use it once you have it!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had study about many detectors, and read many comments from members. I have decided to purchase a Fisher 75. Good hunting and good luck.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had study about many detectors, and read many comments from members. I have decided to purchase a Fisher 75. Good hunting and good luck.

Great choice

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had and used many. Both expensive and not. I can honestly say the "new" Teknetics T2 Classic for $499 is probably the best machine one can purchase for that price point. TWO buttons, that's it! Stupid fast, deep, separation is incredible, easy to operate, 5 year warranty, did I say this machine was fast? Just an incredible amount of function and performance for the price. Good luck with your choice, Mike

Lowman

Jan 4, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to buy one that I can brag on and tell you to go that way. HOWEVER I can tell to %100 do not buy a Chinese metal detector!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the Technetics Alpha 2000 ($199). I bought it because of all comparable models, it finds targets deeper than the rest. And it does but be careful what you wish for as deeper = more work. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread