drayo

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Leland NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all! Does anyone know the laws on metal detecting on the side of the road? Because of the amount of deer hunting, all the land around here is posted. Lots of history but all posted. There's a state maintained road that has been used since the 1700s with about 15-20 feet on each side before the posted signs. Thought I might try it but not sure what the laws are on roadside detecting...and in front of posted signs. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's called "road right of way". And is not to be confused with any laws/rules for state parks land in your state.

Are you are allowed to walk alongside the road (and whistle dixie, or walk your dog, or .... whatever) ? As opposed to signs saying "no pedestrians" or whatever? If so, then consider the act of md'ing to be just as innocuous. You have my authorization. I get 30% . (I accept paypal).

OP
OP
drayo

drayo

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Leland NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...thanks. Been beach hunting for years but always wanted to do more...just been scared to break the law. I detected along the Cape Fear river here a few years back, below the high tide mark and the US Army came around the corner in a boat with a 50 cal on front. Had us board our boat and come to them...guns on us the whole time. Said we were trespassing and I tried to argue but couldn't win. We were not even close to the base. They made us leave. That kinda put a bad taste in my mouth and been scared to do anything since really. I was completely legal. Being former law enforcement myself, don't want to break any laws. It's hard to know whAt you can do and where you can go but I guess it's kind of a "do it until someone says no" kinda hobby. Be courteous, check ordinances, read signs and leave things as you found them. I'm sure I can learn a lot from the folks here!

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend has a white PU and wears a hard hat and a safety vest. Looks very official. Get waves from cops.
If forced to he can always say "it's the only way I feel safe."

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the idea of a jacket wit FBI on it

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the idea of a jacket wit FBI on it

Cause too much notice. Ya want to be just under the radar.
In my work I had to go into secure spaces. I played a game of seeing if I could walk past someone that was supposed to issue a challenge.
This was inspired by the first computer virus. It was started by a kid (or father) who found a backdoor in maintenance on the computers.
It was a worm and while it didn't damage anything it kept replicating and slowed all on the network to crash. Most major Universities.
I would try to go passed security appearing as a maintenance tech for fun. It often worked.
Many people won't ask maybe out of fear they won't understand your explanation. Fun anyway. No armed security people though.
Avoid eye contact.

me_2017

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2017
Fort Pierce, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do survey work and work on the road right of ways all the time ive had good luck just walking and looking. i've found paper money rings cell phones, etc. all sorts of things. most roads have a limestone base so anything of value is usualy right on top. just remember radial tires ring too.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected and eyeballed sides of roads a few times but usually find too much garbage. For me it is not worth the risk of getting hit by some idiot or drawing attention to myself just for pull tabs. I used to volunteer with a group while I was stationed in Alaska to do highway cleanup and found some neat stuff but nothing of great value. I will stick to the beaches, schools, parks.

JasoninIowa

Nov 16, 2012
Ankeny Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Iowa the roadsides are considered public right of way so I as far as I can tell open to detecting. I have hit a few ditches near a farm I hunt but there was just way to much trash to make it worth it, I hope you better than I did.

OP
OP
drayo

drayo

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Leland NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much traffic on the road I'm eyeing. It's really secluded and hasn't been used heavily since the 50s. Just a small stretch of road...a few hundred yards on each side but knowing that British soldiers, Union and Confederate troops all used it as a major route is very promising I think. Thanks for all the responses! I'll let you know how it goes.

TxSchelter

Jan 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me I would just call the local law enforcement agency and simply ask! They may or not be a state agency but they would be the ones that could cite you if you were breaking the law. Odds are you would talk to a dispatcher who would have no idea but they could put you through to an officer if you ask. Then you will have your bases covered should a problem arise. Take down the name of who you talk to. Good luck!

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dressing up act works in some cases,when I was a new guy at a slaughterhouse just,after,high school my brother in law and I grabbed a white coat and new hard hats and he had a clipboard in hand and we walked the entire plant, even places where security was very tight, it was funny because guys would say, " good morning guys!" And we would ask how they like there job and so forth. It was a lot of fun!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try asking permission as detecting isn't likely to hurt anything and a lot easier to get permission, I always have a fresh shave and a nice button up shirt on while asking for permission. I have some cards printed up as well so they know who their letting detect and can get in touch with me if there's a problem, always leave everything like you found it, if you go through a gate make sure you close it behind you and don't leave any trash behind as well. HH

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will stick to the beaches, schools, parks.

I have tried talking to our schools here in Conroe, Tx and they don't want anyone on their property due to all the crap that goes on today. which i cant blame them there, safety for the children come first, but i mean high schools shouldn't be that big of deal, sounds like they should be more worried about the teachers than us hunting their dirt.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have tried talking to our schools here in Conroe, Tx and they don't want anyone on their property due to all the crap that goes on today. which i cant blame them there, safety for the children come first, but i mean high schools shouldn't be that big of deal, sounds like they should be more worried about the teachers than us hunting their dirt.

Earl & Patricia, do other people use the school yards there after hours and Saturday, etc... ? Eg.: do you ever see people shooting hoops, jogging the track, walking their dog, etc... there ? If so, I think you were the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked" routine.

Sure, some locales might be truly "buttoned up tight" . But a lot of others are just obligatory signage. Eg.: "visitors check in at office", blah blah". And/or fence that'll usually have permanent propped open gates.

chrononauts

Dec 30, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a safety vest when I detect curb strips. It's safer and it does lend an air of "I'm official, I belong here" to the casual observer. I also work as a police officer and when you are actually being dispatched to crimes in progress or patrolling for things that are potentially harmful, you see a lot of odd stuff that you leave alone you are not looking for extra work to get involved with if it's something thats not hurting anyone. Maybe that doesn't apply to quiet little town law enforcement but it does to police officers who are in an area with real crime to worry about. Hope this is helpful, good luck.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very good to research where old roads are in your state and start searching. Good hunting and good luck.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had a problem hunting around schools on the weekends ONLY, and I understand it. I'm sure they don't want some old guy aimlessly wandering around when the kids are around. One more thing, I also carry a small plastic pail with me for all the trash I dig, and if anyone should ask, I show them all the junk I've removed, but in addition to that, sometimes there ARE people that look at you as though you are a human backhoe or are looking to steal something, So, I sometimes bring along a couple of rounds of live ammo I have found in PARKS, and when they look around and see NO holes etc, and then look at the trash and two dug rounds of ammo, of which I explain that I may have removed a couple of possible freak accidents, they end by saying that they hope I find something good.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions