earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks
My wife and I just bought the Garrett AT Pro. This is our first metal detector. We thought it would be cool to get one and go hunting together, give us something to do as a couple. We where wanting to know how well this thing works. it wont be shipped out till the 18th so we haven't even been able to try it out yet. probably a little late to be asking now, but a heads up before we do receive it would be nice. If any of you out there could give us your opion on it would be great. I wanted the waterproof because we have tons of swimming hole kids play at.

Thanks for your responses.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine. You should go on you tube, there are many videos by Garrett and others that will help you alot. Welcome to t-net and the addiction.

HH RN

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.
We havent even started and we are addicted to it. We have already started a list of where we want to go, fixing go to the library and do some research on all the little towns around us. Conroe, New Caney, Porter.....Going to try and find out where all the train depots were located when the towns were first established.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet.

You know you're going to end up with at least two detectors! It's only a matter of time.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, you say that, because we are already talking about getting a cheaper one as well, in the $200-$300 range. How funny is that. lol

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, you say that, because we are already talking about getting a cheaper one as well, in the $200-$300 range. How funny is that. lol
Better get another ATPro, maybe a used one or I see a fight in your future. Lol

HH RN

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well she doesn't like complicated things. We are looking at the Bounty Hunter Platinum, She said she would be find with something simple, just wants to find anything for fun. im the opposite, the more complicated things are the more i like them. lol

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Invest in a good water scoop with a long handle, it will save you a lot of time. Also advise against a cheap detector...you get what you pay for. If you buy an inexpensive detector make sure it is from a well established company like Garrett, who has some inexpensive detectors that still do the job and have good discrimination. Also note that most single VLF machines do not handle wetness and water well and make sure to keep the control unit dry at all times.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have had mine about 3 years and no problems, out in the water alot.

Layout of connectors makes it very hard to plug in both the coil and headphones, and a tight connection is critical in the water. I ended up having to use needle nose pliers to get the last turns.
Also be advised, you can use any headphones in the water so long as they don't get wet, if you plan on dunking them a special waterproof set is required. Also possible to use the machine in water without headphones, but then you can't go above the control box [else you won't be able to hear the beeps].

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard---the at pro is not very complicated, take the advice of some you tube videos on it [ nugget noggin has lots] and good luck :icon_thumleft:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pro and gold are very similar I have the gold they are fantastic machines not a complicated detector at all.Only rated for 10 ft under water but no issues, unless you want to go deeper if you look in general discussions I bumped a thread I posted about 1 modification I made to my AT gold for strengthening the box to shaft(AT Pro and Gold mod).There is a weak point there, my fix makes it rock solid.Great machine other than that weak spot.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Earl and Patricia,

IMHO, purchase another AT Pro as others have stated. The AT Pro is not a complicated machine and it produces excellent results. I own both the AT Gold and AT Pro as others here on the forum and are my "work horse" machines for my artifact recovery business. If cost is a concern, Garrett has made a 400 series machine (~$339.00 dollars), I have never used one, but sure someone has and will speak about it.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what i will probably do, may just wait awhile and jump up a step from the AT Pro. why go less, just save and go better. lol. Its only money. lol
If I ask for advice 9 times out of 10 I listen. That's the whole reason of asking. I noticed Professor of Engineer mentioned artifacts, can you find arrow heads and stuff with this thing? My uncle owns a deer ranch in Uvalde Tx, dessert last, but they have found had fulls of arrow heads, just wondering.
We do appreciate all your responses.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the arrow heads are made of metal, sure.

I think what he meant is more like relics, metal relics.

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my two cents worth. You will get addicted and really enjoy your time for many reasons excluding all your future finds. Nature, exercise and sharing the experience with your Wife. Its a great thing when your both are into the Hobby and sharing the "Finds" together. I wish the both of you many hours of enjoyment.:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread