aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi i am new and i did some hunting the last week, i have a AT Pro i want to coin hunt and my settings are Pro coin, Iron discrimination set at 40, i also eliminated every thing on that end of the scale, all i every get is nails, trash and what looks line Iron pieces, what am i doing wrong, i will try and upload what i have found, if any one knows what i could be doing wrong and can help i would appreciate it, thanks. hope i am uploading these right some my look fuzzy my camera is not working right if you notice not one coin.
View attachment 1402794 View attachment 1402796 View attachment 1402797 View attachment 1402798 View attachment 1402800 View attachment 1402801 View attachment 1402802 View attachment 1402803 View attachment 1402804 View attachment 1402805

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusty iron is almost impossible to discriminate out on any detector. However, as you get to know the sounds and target ID's of your machine you will be better at guessing that it's iron under your coil. In the meantime, I would dig as much as you can, you never know what is hiding under or around that iron.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't used an ATP in a little while, but when I did, it found good stuff.

Pro zero is the way to go, you have to learn to ID the sounds, the machine's language is the key. Once you learn the signs, you will dig a bit less trash, but digging trash is part of the game. Some good targets are masked by trash, you HAVE to dig to be sure. I dig that same trash that you got, all the time! Every time I hunt, I dig that stuff... but once in a great while, I also dig something nice.

Do you have a test garden? This will help in the familiarization process. Otherwise, take a couple of coins with you, and refer to them during the hunt.

I can tell you this, if you persist, it'll get better. I can also tell you, that if you dig enough holes, something killer will one day appear in one of them.

Best of luck, and have fun!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You appear to be hunting a farm field, because you have knife sections off a sickle bar mowing machine, plus a flat link from chain used on farm machinery. If you are looking for relics you have to dig everything, but if coin and jewelry hunting you need to hunt where people hang out, and have been hanging out for a long time. What Susan and Carolina Tom has told you is good advice.

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are most likely right the house was built in the 50's and was a veterinarian house it sits on a acre, use to be part of a 250 acre plot back in the 1800's, so i will keep looking and check out some parks.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't run a pro ... but most your items recovered would get my attention too. Looks like a good start!
A test garden will help.
Finding coins will too of course but depth,position,soil conditions,other objects near, how long object has been buried can get interesting.
Drop a coin where you can see it and swing over it. A buried coin ,and one buried a long time may not ring up exactly the same . I have more trouble with a coin on the surface than a deeper one...
Give it time ,dig lots of targets and keep track of where they ring up and how they sound. Learning bottle caps,pull tabs..I dig a few most outings.
Pull tabs hard to leave alone just in case ,and I do not always call them right and end up with something else.
Then when you think you have it all figured out....you might figure something else..
Do keep it fun though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread