FindersKeepers74

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very new to the metal detecting realm. I am looking at buying a Garrett Ace 200 as my first detector. Has good reviews on Amazon and the price is right but I would like to hear from people that have been doing this for awhile. I appreciate any input, positive or negative. Thanks for your time.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most I started with a cheaper model. In 60 days it paid for itself and I upgraded to a mid level detector. 4 to 5 months later the mid level paid for itself and I upgraded to a top of the line detector. If you know that you are going to enjoy the hobby, I'd review the detectors in the mid range at least. If you are on the fence about this hobby then going with a lower priced detector is where you should start. If the detecting bug doesn't bite then you are not out that much. I am a coin shooter that appreciates a cool relic and some nice jewelry. My preference is to hunt older yards in town, but I do hunt parks, schools, fair grounds and other public spaces. What will you be looking for primarily? Are you a relic hunter, coin shooter, or jewelry guy? Where do you plan on hunting? (Parks, yards, fields, woods, fresh water beaches)? If you are a jewelry guy you want a higher frequency detector like 19khz, if you are a relic guy, you want a detector that goes deep, if you are a coin shooter you should get a detector that runs between 5khz and 13 knz.

One of the easiest detectors to use in my opinion is the Fisher F2 and they are selling less than $200 with multiple coils. I have one as a loaner and I can get someone up and running with as little as 5 minutes of instruction.

Watch some videos on the models that interest you. What tones do you like the best. I am not a fan of the Garrett "Bong" tones. What info do you want to see on the screen to better assist you in determining which target to dig and which one to ignore?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
There are hundreds upon hundreds of posts on TN about the subject. There are enough comparisons on here to keep you reading for weeks.

Look at the Garret forum, Head to Head comparisons, tip and tricks, Youtube and such.

Good luck with your future finds.

john819

Jan 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi well im new here I got the ace 350 with the DD coil & got the garrett GTI 2500 with the 12.5 imaging coil & a 8.5 cant wait to try it out

OP
OP
F

FindersKeepers74

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Loco- A lot of what you asked is still up in the air for me. I am at the point, right now, that I can buy a cheaper model and get started detecting or wait another month or so to get a mid-range detector. I will take your advice and watch videos on the different detectors. I didn't even realize that they produced different tones. As far as what I would like to see, is just your opinion on different detectors, what worked for you, what has lasted, what fell apart, if you were just starting out what would you buy?

Thanks again for your time and comments!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Loco- A lot of what you asked is still up in the air for me. I am at the point, right now, that I can buy a cheaper model and get started detecting or wait another month or so to get a mid-range detector. I will take your advice and watch videos on the different detectors. I didn't even realize that they produced different tones. As far as what I would like to see, is just your opinion on different detectors, what worked for you, what has lasted, what fell apart, if you were just starting out what would you buy?

Thanks again for your time and comments!

When I first started detecting my wife got me a cheap, beeps on everything detector and it drove me nuts.I researched and decided on The Garrett AT Gold because it fit all my needs.Instead of using your money to buy a cheaper detector use the time while building up your bankroll, to get a mid range detector, researching areas to go .To really give the hobby a chance if you get a cheap detector that doesn't really give you good info it could drive you away from a hobby that if you had waited for a more advanced detector it could become a lifetime of enjoyment.,I am not knocking Garrett as I own the AT Gold. I don't think I would like the bright yellow box either.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with the Ace 250, we bought a Ace 150, for an 8 year old, to see really if he might stick with it. I'll tell you, after setting it up, I was really impressed with it, it was as good as detectors that would cost $500.00 years ago. Like cell phones etc. the insides have advanced so much. So, if it be a Garrett 250, 3 or 4 hundred, I don't think you can go wrong, short learning curve as well, the most important thing is to enjoy it. And that 8 year old? Created a little metal detecting monster.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok keep this a secret. For about $60 bucks with a coupon you can get a Bounty Hunter at Hobby Lobby. If you dont like it, you can easily sell it for $75 bucks. Easy to use, and will get you started. Oh, Loco nailed it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions