Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I recommend that you move it to Connecticut forums. I will check it out. Good hunting and good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I'd be nice if the rest of the world took notice.

Boninsd, this link has been "making the rounds" on several forums in the last few days. And I'll have to disagree with what you're saying. Well, yes and no.

Yes, in that .... SURE ... wouldn't it be grand if md'rs and archies would put aside their differences and give each other hugs? Them seemingly they'd drop all their legislative inputs (recommendations to dis-allow) against us, and ... instead ... invite us to have carte-blanche at all sorts of cool sensitive historic sites. And SURE: in that we can work side by side detecting, and donating (after all, we md'rs love a good "show & tell" after all, eh ?).

So on the one hand, I know the easy sentiment to read something like this and think: "Isn't this great?"

But the devil is in the details :( Did you see the quote from your link ? :

"Many archaeologists consider metal detectorists looters who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near their labs or dig sites".

You see: Sure, sometimes there's been conscriptions of md'rs to help at archie sites. Sure. But be forewarned that ... although the archie may (like in that link) give a few positive "let's hug" type statements, yet rest-assured: The only approval they are in favor of, is when an md'r digs UNDER AN ARCHIE'S SUPERVISION. Not when you or I are waltzing around the beach, or forest, or park, or CW site, etc... "looting" and "ripping objects from their context".

So when I see those type articles, I see them as somewhat condescending. And I also believe that when other archies see such articles where their peers have conscripted md'rs help, that in their opinion, it's ONLY for use in such "monitored" situations. And will NOT result in any sort of "doors opened" or "rules relaxed". And if anything, it's probably better that some archies DIDN'T think about us. Lest the wheels in their head start turning and they think of the connotations of "all these yahoos running around" destroying the past, etc... Hence sometimes the less visibility is better. Not the more visibility.

Also be aware: While it might seem fun to be able to be in on an archie dig, it's not at all what you're thinking. It's quite boring. You flag all your signals. They come by a day or two later and dig with tweezers and brushes.

I helped an archie at a Chinatown site in a city near me once. I turned on my detector, and ... in the space of 2 swings, had already 8 or 10 "beeps". Naturally they were all going to be slag, nails, pulltabs, zinc, etc.... And I explained (after looking at my TID) "pulltab right under the surface" and got ready to pop it out. But he shrieked and explained how I'd need to be flagging each beep. So for the next 10 minutes we flagged 10 or 12 beeps. And each one he'd have to take a GPS coord, make copious notes, etc.... Explaining how they'd come back later to dig. Huh ? I could see this was simply not going anywhere. Hence not at all how the md'r goes about things. Not saying their way is wrong, but just saying .... don't think it's anything like regular md'ing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hi Samuel. I am "chilled out". And I'm stating it like it is :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions