NEED HELP WITH MAJOR QUESTION

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found out my AT Pro wont be shipped out till the 31st instead of the 18th(today). I had plans to go some where to use it but not looking good. They offered to upgrade me to a Whites MX Sports for free, and have it shipped out the next day. Should we wait on the AP Pro or up grade it. I want to use it for water as well, mostly fresh water. What would you guys do if this was your first metal detector.
THANKS IN ADVANCED
Earl and Patricia

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the MX Sport and really like using it but have never used an AT Pro and I know that there are lots of others on here that love their AT Pros so it really comes down to why did you pick the AT Pro, will the features of the Whites fit what you want? Do you want a unit or do you want the AT Pro? I know that there is a vid on You Tube comparing the two and if you can find it, you may want to look it up and view it. I don't remember it at the moment other than AT Pro and MX Sport Comparison or something similar. My MX Sport was my 4th and after I had looked at several and got a good deal on it, had to go for it. I like it. See if someone with an AT Pro answers. and Good Hunting with whichever one you get!

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have herd alot of good things abt the mx sport could always sell it and get the at pro if you dont like it that what i would do shure the mx sport would be easy to sell i havent seen any used

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would stick with the AT Pro. The MX Sport just came out last year and has had issues requiring return to the manufacturer. There may be some confusion about what inventory has been updated and what has not so you might get one needing fixing. And the Sport is about a pound heavier than the AT Pro. I would check out the Whites board and read the comments on the Sport before purchasing.

if you have already placed your order for the Sport and change your mind, very important with some online sellers that you don't open the box. If they do they will charge you a big restocking fee. Just send it back unopened.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you were going to go and hunt for will still be there when you get the AT and this gives you time to research areas to hunt.Just because a machine cost more doesn't necessarily mean it is a better deal.Maybe I am biased but I did a lot of research for what I wanted for my style of detecting and stayed with that choice because it fit what I wanted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we really don't have a preference really, just want to go hunting and find things, whether it be on land or water. At least for right now. That is why I am trying to get a descent one that can do a lot both on land and water. according to the research i have done, they have corrected all the problems. But yeah, I'm thinking of just waiting for the other, i mean, whats 3-4 more weeks. lol I just hope i make the right choice. $600.00 is not chump change, not when your a disable Vet on a stinking small pension. But hey, it could be worse, Thank God for that. He hasn't let me down yet!!!!!:hello2:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used the White's but have read good things about it. I have the Atpro and it's a great machine. Heck, flip a coin and let fait decide. Lol

HH RN

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd probably be ok with the Whites MX Sport. Got good reviews and is waterproof. If you needed to sell, you could get a used AT Pro for the same price, so you don't have a loss there.

Enjoy!

Also... just be sure that you understand that as a "first" detector, your learning curve is going to be steep on a mid-range product. Take your time, know that it's not "instant" results. Start with a reasonable goal of $1 an hour, and work up to it. You'll eventually get there, and maybe you'll get lucky. But there is DEFINITELY a learning curve. It'll take 10 hours to get used to it, and understand it well enough to say "I've got this." then 100 hours to get GOOD with it, and 500 hours to really become accomplished.

There's a lot of information in those signals.

Cheers!

SKippy

Well from what I have seen, the MX Sport is higher than the AP Pro. I guess I am confused when you say I can sell it and get another one for the same price. I had a head injury in Iraq, so that too might be why I dont understand, lol

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The video mentioned on Utube Whites MX Sport vs Garrett AT Pro is a good informative comparison between the two detectors in use. if you haven't seen this already you can watch this and maybe this will help you in making your decision. I watched this just yesterday and it was one of the best comparison videos I've seen in a while. By the way, Thank You sir for your service from a Former Jar Head.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking at an offering that includes Detector, headset, pouch, digger, etc.? You may want to make sure that if you are thinking of going and getting the headsets wet they are offering the proper headsets, and that would be for either the AT Pro or the MX Sport. The MX Sport has a separate adapter to allow use of non- submersible headsets (White's)and I am not sure of the Garrett situation. Just a thought, may not even be a point but thought i would bring it up. Mine will not go deeper than the the first joint on the shaft so no waterproof headset needed.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they come with water proof headset, but need to find out if they are submersible.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Patience, my boy, patience!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes they come with water proof headset, but need to find out if they are submersible.

The headset for the AT Pro that is submersible is Blue.Not the stock set that comes with it.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they called and said a shipment came in. (AT Pro) So we are going to go with it. Doesnt look like we can go wrong with it. If she likes it, then I will seek to find me one I like. Maybe the AP Pro or the MX Sport, or maybe something else. Hopefully I will know more about this one and know more about what I would prefer. Should be here next weeks. :hello2::headbang:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had study many brands and decided to purchased a Fisher 75 in April or May when it gets warm in Connecticut.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I understand now. The main reason I went ahead and chose to go with the AP Pro was due to all the reviews. So many more than the MX Sport. Plus I figured I would give them more time to get all the kinks out. Besides, They may come out with a new one, maybe even better. I think she will be happy with this one.

Guys I really appreciate all your advice on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread