What's in a name?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Many long years ago, when I worked as a restoration contractor and had a crew of six, we were working in the crawl space under the Miller's Drugstore in Charlottesville when I ran across a several bottles, two of which were a "CRESKOL POISON" bottles. My crew always said I was :evil7: toxic ::) for some season, so the name stuck! .. and now you know the rest of the story .. Good day!

Attachments

• creskol Bottle.jpg
    creskol Bottle.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 75
  • miller's drug store photo.jpg
    miller's drug store photo.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 102

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a old picture. I like the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great response here fella's, I've seen your user names so many times with your post, sometimes just wondered about how they came to be. Very cool.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My name comes from a few places. First: I have owned motorcycles, since 1985. I managed to finally ride through the last remaining 11 states of the lower 48 on my Harley in 2012. From NYC to the Pacific and back,, 8,918 miles. Second; one of my favorite bands of all time, Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band. My favorite song by them is; "Against the Wind"

While I really don't have anything against Bob Seger or his Silver bullet Band... I played in a long haired rock band for a few years drumming. And I still have nightmares of a table of broads jumping up at the end of the 4th set yelling... ONE MORE SONG... ONE MORE SONG... PLAY "OLD TIME ROCK AND ROLL".... I still turn the radio off EVERYTIME I hear that one song. I could still drum that song in my sleep easily!!!!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
While I really don't have anything against Bob Seger or his Silver bullet Band... I played in a long haired rock band for a few years drumming. And I still have nightmares of a table of broads jumping up at the end of the 4th set yelling... ONE MORE SONG... ONE MORE SONG... PLAY "OLD TIME ROCK AND ROLL".... I still turn the radio off EVERYTIME I hear that one song. I could still drum that song in my sleep easily!!!!

What about this obscure, but great song from 1973?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about this obscure, but great song from 1973?

Well ya got me there coinman... I graduated in 73' and my short lived "rock career" started (in public) about in 81'. My bands name was FANTASY and that's about all it was... but we did live it for awhile and damn it was a blast at the time. Couldn't begin to repeat that now nor really want to. But I could drum out a set if I got to pick the song list... maybe???

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I started digging farm dumps for bottles when I was 14 and I've always had a passion for history. :laughing7:
My grandfather was born in Northern Ireland and used tell me, that had I been born in Victorian times, I would've been known as an 'Antiquarian'.

'Antiquarian'
"An antiquarian or antiquary is an aficionado or student of antiquities or things of the past. More specifically, the term is used for those who study history with particular attention to ancient artifacts, archaeological and historic sites, or historic archives and manuscripts. The essence of antiquarianism is a focus on the empirical evidence of the past, and is perhaps best encapsulated in the motto adopted by the 18th-century antiquary Sir Richard Colt Hoare, "We speak from facts not theory." Today the term is often used in a pejorative sense, to refer to an excessively narrow focus on factual historical trivia, to the exclusion of a sense of historical context or process".

Great question
sprailroad,
Dave

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN, of your 3 JW quotes, the 2nd one is on a coffee cup, the 3rd is written on a bulletin board in my "Fort".

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow cool post. I learned a lot about all the members who posted.

When I got married, my wife, brother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, and all of her friends were older than me. So one of my brothers-in-law nicknamed me Scrappy, as in Scrappy-Do. Scooby’s little nephew who is a serious “scrapper” (which I am).

It just caught. The name caught on over 12 years ago and through interaction between all the families and friends, everyone in my life now calls me Scrappy. Besides my ship crew - they call me Captain Steve;)

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN, of your 3 JW quotes, the 2nd one is on a coffee cup, the 3rd is written on a bulletin in my "Fort".

I feel this statement holds the most significance in my life now that I'm 54. :thumbsup:

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

It bothers me that 'real men' like John Wayne are few and far between in today's day and age... I think our society needs more men like John Wayne these days.

Best of luck to you sir,
Dave

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
73744_1468824608365_6816140_n   Cooper.jpg This is Cooper...RIP buddy 1841 is my street address. Fred

Last edited:

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting post, i also find myself intrigued by the names! mine came from the guys i had worked with , since i am blessed with a fur sweater the guys used to call me the Fuzzy b@#$%d. i shortend it to just Fuzzy but it was taken on Tnet so i added the 535 which was my volunteer firefighter number from back in Maine. so Fuzzy535 came to be. my avatar is Gossamer from looney tunes naturally since hes a ball of fur also. my old account on here Serb535 is from the first 4 of my last name. but i never could figure out the old log in so i just created a new one.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is because I find it hard to find MD buddies because I start hunting early in the morning and will search until dark. Might be 2 or 3 spots but its all day for me. (I generally do my do-diligence so I look in places like old farms, CW camps, old stores ect.)

Sage.Grouse

Mar 29, 2018
Santa Fe NM
Detector(s) used
MineLab Xterra, Bounty Hunters, White's Bullseye TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm SageGrouse or Sage.Grouse... Sage because I'm old and so (supposedly) wise, and Grouse because I'm grouchy (because I'm old!) Also... I'm an endangered bird who puffs up and makes weird noises! :D
SageGrouse

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My grandparents lived on Route 66 and I loved visiting them. I loved blasting out ole Route 66 , stirring up the dust !

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did 38 years in the Navy most of it Submarines and my other passion is (besides MDing) Oakland Raider football, hence the Blk Hole.

NorCalSmitty

Mar 13, 2018
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH Land Ranger Pro:
BH Tracker IV:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
User name NorCalSmitty...”

U.S. Army Veteran, call sign/nickname has always been Smitty.

To this day most close friends and community members call me Smitty with most not even knowing my first name.
Only family members and my most intimate friends call me by my first name. And even then that is a nickname shortened down from my full first name.8-)

And I live in NorCal/Northern California.:goldbar:

Cheers”:icon_thumleft:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name came partly out of laziness...

When trying to find a gold related name when I was joining? Everything I typed in was taken. I was sitting looking around the room thinking of a name....I looked over at the bench and saw the Nitric gold testing acid. I thought...Gold related, and I've burnt(minor) myself every way possible with the stuff!!! I'll try "Nitric" and it went through! :laughing7: I'm Joker2415 on other forums just started changing from that as I'm getting older. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread