What's in a name?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading so many of the post, and there are so many good questions, as well as answers, and one thing of interest are our user names. We all have a common interest in the hobby/obsession of metal detecting, mine for over 25 years. For me, "sprailroad", I retired from the Union Pacific a couple of years ago, but hired into the Southern Pacific railroad in 1981, and in 1997/8, the UP bought the SP, and I was simply part of the inventory, and the rest is history. And so "sprailroad" seemed right for me. Again, it is only out of curiosity fella's (and ladies') nothing more. Any one else?

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came up with mine just by looking at the fact that I dig in the dirt and the sand so d(dirt)s(sand)digger, dsdigger. Nothing harder than that. I figured that as long as it did not come back as taken, I was fine.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
U S Navy, 1955/1958. I was a boatswain mate striker on board the USS Merrick AKA 97. The vessel was identified as an attack cargo ship. We were in the amphibious navy, the amphibs, the gator navy, ship to shore, we delivered the Marines and all their gear through the surf to the beach. My job was coxswain of of an LCM, (Landing Craft Mechanized) which was a boat 56 feet long, weighed 55 tons, and was powered by twin grey marine diesel engines.
A boatswains mate (pronounced Bosn) was the deck force that sailed the ship and manned the landing craft. A coxswain's (pronounced coxn) job was to drive the boat. Trust me, it's a heck of a rush to take a 55 ton boat through the surf, deliver the cargo, and then back off the beach. While in the Navy, there were some hen house times, but I remember the good times, and I'm proud of being a sailor, so chose my user name BosnMate, and my avatar is a picture of an LCM with the bow ramp down on the beach in Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, hence no surf in that picture, more like in a lake than an open ocean beach. I was in the still WWII Navy, although jet aircraft were coming on strong, and change was in the wind. There is still an Amphibious Navy, but not the same as the one I was in. Helicopters and hover craft are now what is used to take troops and cargo to the beach.

Here is a video that will show you what I've been talking about. This video was shot in Sesabo, Japan, so again there is a lack of surf adding excitement.

Last edited:

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long ago, my nickname was ((OXOTHIK( huntsman)), then my son was interested, too, digging, but he is quickly get tired. My first nickname has blocked the administration where we talked and now many resources hunters treasures I have the nickname that gave me my son.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine came from my occupation. I am a union iron worker who places rebar.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is from another hobby that has been pushed aside by this one :)

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Easy answer for me. I'm from the Palmetto State and my other hobby is restoring classic Mustangs!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My other hobby (passion ) is fishing and my brother owns the boat so I fish from the Back-Of-The Boat. But I still out fish him.:headbang:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mines real simple, too.

Due to bi-lateral Meniere's Disease I am constantly dizzy.

And I dig up stuff.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since I was 14 yrs old (36yrs ago) I was obsessed with the history of the town I was living in. I had my first MD that year and dug holes everywhere I could and soon considered myself the steward of my little towns young history,settled in 1842. I have been writing a1500 page book on my exploits here in this towns earliest settled area......once referred to as a mere Village. My wife says I am a nut over the obsession.....Oh, and my book is entitled, Keeper of the Village......so go figure:tongue3:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good thread.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the Lucia Brasi (Godfather I) to our local NW moles - Thus Molewacker

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite group is Lynyrd Skynyrd and my favorite song by them is "Free Bird".

Here's lead singer Ronnie Van Zant talking about the song while fishing with guitarist Gary Rossington. Simple explanation of the song from a simple man...

OP
OP
S

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The response to this has been really good, it kind of puts a human element to the user names, like I almost know you guys, if the double A's were bullets, we would all be brother's in arms somehow, in a weird way of putting it.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is pretty self explanatory, I love old relics and people say I'm nuts. I don't get it, thear the ones that are nuts.

HH RN

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan, from Minnesota. That's as creative as I get.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a heating, ventilation, air conditioner contractor a long time and is known in the industry, "HVAC".
I used Hvacker as it fit the business. Don't remember where the "K" came from.
One problem is it looks too close to "Hacker" and sometimes people won't open my Email.
Someday I will have to change it. How about "Aces and Eights"? "12 Gauge"?"Bum Steer"?
I think maybe I'm naming bucking bulls.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Mine was easy, Gramps called me scarecrow when I was young. I had a patch of blond hair in an otherwise dark brown head of hair. He told me it was the straw sticking out. There are two famous scarecrows. Dr. Syn, and the one in the Wizard of Oz. I have a brain so the choice was an easy one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions