What percentage of finds do you give to landowners.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some landowners ive come across dont care one hill of beans about what you find,others want to split and some want it all. Do you guys dig at places where the landowners want all the finds? I always try to look out for the landowners but it seems to get me into a place sometimes. It starts out hey just show me what you found and then I give them something and then its on from there the treasure bug hits and they want more or all of it. You guys ever experience this?

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While searching for single coins, jewels and buried treasures. Always have a written sign contract. If the owners want 100% of the treasures, then it is not worth your time or money. Tell them to dig the treasure themselves. I would offer them 25% for them and the rest of myself. I would want at least 50%, nothing less. Good hunting and good luck.

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some landowners ive come across dont care one hill of beans about what you find,others want to split and some want it all. Do you guys dig at places where the landowners want all the finds? I always try to look out for the landowners but it seems to get me into a place sometimes. It starts out hey just show me what you found and then I give them something and then its on from there the treasure bug hits and they want more or all of it. You guys ever experience this?

I may have a permission on a home stead that is more than 50 years old. I spoke to one of the owners and I told that person that if I get permission I will return all jewelry found on the property to the owners, and I will keep all clad and silver coins, and If I find a gold coin(s), I expect 50/50 on that. And, I don't need no stinking contract for that .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I find something directly related to the family I just hand it over and that hasn't happened very often. If I find a large cent while they're looking over the shoulder I hand them the penny as it doesn't matter to me. I alway ask if they have lost anything on the property, and if I find it I return it. Gold will be split if I ever find any on the homesteads and my word is good enough for them. All tractor parts like hitch pins or some other parts that can be used I return on the doorsteps. Guide wire anchors that are found in a field are tagged, spray painted, and the farmer is told where it is sticking up. I show all the crap to the farmer after many hours of digging, all the steel, wire, and the few buckles, musket balls, tokens, relics. It's all based on honesty and the word travels fast around the farming community if you a jerk. I have thousands and thousands of acres of farm land to detect so I must be doing it right.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to do right too, dont do contracts just verbal agreement, I too have alot of land to hunt and try to gain permissions all time.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My permissions get 0.0% of anything I find, if at all possible...

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone asked for a percentage halfway into a hunt; I'll give them everything and walk away.

I'm not interested in mixing business with pleasure..

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell the land owner that everything I find belongs to them. Then when I finish detecting I present every find to the land owner. I tell them to take whatever they want and the rest I'll put in my collection.

Just the experience of sharing your finds with the landowner is worth more than whatever you may have collected.

Only once did a landowner want anything. Most just enjoyed seeing what was on their property and I got to keep it all. The one item a landowner wanted was an Indian head penny to give to her son. It was a real pleasure cleaning up the penny knowing that it would be a treasured keepsake for a boy who grew up on the property. JMHO, Tt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too get a joy giving the landowner finds from their property and have given and tried to give finds to people. It was just on this one it got changed mid stride and it was we want it all.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seldom ask because I seldom hunt other people's private property. But when I have I tell tell them I am only interested in coins and any jewelry or personal effects I will give to them.

I did lose one beautiful crotal bell I would like to have hung onto but otherwise this works out.

Usually I show them a pile of metal junk and they lose interest immediately.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go around as a detectorist expecting people to let you on their property, let you dig holes in their yard or property and then get all pissy and stomp off because they want to split their property with you. Matter a fact you just made us all look bad in my eyes. Changing terms after the hunt begins is another story.

But on the flip side I can't agree with a land owner taking it all either and won't work for free for them, that is just as bad IMO and it comes down to the principle of it all. You put a lot of time into learning your machine, Buying your machine and then all the time finding the items. It is only fair you get at least half.

I just got a permission a few weeks ago and his initial response was "he gets everything", I politely told him "no thanks then, I have no problem sharing but don't expect to go away with nothing and would be willing to split" He thought about it and said fair enough.. In the end after that day he let me have everything. 2 Indians, a couple of mercs and a few other relics. Now he wants me to come back.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Love your Signature :)

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote (. Matter a fact you just made us all look bad in my eyes. Changing terms after the hunt begins is another story. ) How did I just make all of us look bad?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't comment on you???????? I have seen many get all upset the Landowners want share and walk off.. that is what I was talking about. Not your story..

Last edited:

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't comment on you???????? I have seen many get all upset the Landowners want share and walk off.. that is what I was talking about. Not your story..

If they aren't interested in the hobby and say " yes, go dig in my yard" then see something they want and take it. They can have it and I'll be finished.

I certainly wouldn't stomp off or be disrespectful... negotiating with a stranger over a couple dollars in change isn't my thing.

If that makes someone look bad; that is not my intention. However, it would not change my decision in that situation.

All hypothetical of course...

If I have some type of relationship with the landowner or it would be a different story..

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have a permission on a home stead that is more than 50 years old. I spoke to one of the owners and I told that person that if I get permission I will return all jewelry found on the property to the owners, and I will keep all clad and silver coins, and If I find a gold coin(s), I expect 50/50 on that. And, I don't need no stinking contract for that .
How about you finding a buried treasure worth millions and you have no contract and the owner standing there with a gun and demand that you leave without your share of treasures? Then you be in a bad stinking mood. I am sure that all professorial treasure hunters use written sign contracts. I am no professorial treasure hunter, but I use one for sure, if I research that there may be buried treasure. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ok read you wrong.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as little as possible

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go 50/50 split but that's it when they tell me they want all the finds I say have a nice day, I mean what's in it for you if you do all the work and get nothing. It's like all the archaeologist they only want to do something when they get a grant and are paid for it as they wouldn't even think about doing it for fun and then they get volunteers to do all the real work. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread