Question about a found saw, possibly civil war related?

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening everybody. I was detecting an area in central Virginia that had a lot of civil war activity. No fighting occurred to my knowledge, but during Lee's retreat to Appomattox, a large portion of his army split at this very spot, each taking a different road, one heading west, the other north, and a sizable union force did the same in pursuit. I was detecting at the intersection of these two roads, and although the area has been well combed over for the past 50 years, I hit places people in the past did not. I found a piece of a union belt buckle and beside that, a large piece of brass that, through research, I found was a piece from a saw made in England between 1807 and 1816. My question is that likely to be civil war related? Or is it more likely from the farm that has resided there since the 1880s.
Thanks in advance everybody!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you post pictures?

OP
OP
T

tlh2865

Jan 4, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the moment I cannot post pictures of the finds themselves, but the saw in question would have looked almost exactly like this one. Except that the model I found came a from a saw made by Kenyon Sykes & Co. Vintage-ALEX-MATHIESON-12-Tenon-BRASS-BACK-SAW-_57.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a Miter Saw used in making the angled edges for house trim moldings. VERY unlikely the CW soldiers bothered with bead or crown moldings.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Why Civil War doctors were nicknamed "Sawbones" - and some people find lead bullets with deep tooth marks...

Saw.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are other hand saws that look like miter saws that would fit better into the OPs description as shown in the photo of a mitering saw. The "bone saw" doues have a similar appearance but a more logical answer may be a "tenon saw" for making tenon joints on mortice and tenon framing of a home.While all of these may be considered as "back saws" they serve different uses. The photo he has provided is a similar look but two different types of tools. Here is a Kenyon and Sykes Tenon saw from 1815 according to one internet source. While probably not a bone saw, you may have an early homebuilding tool. Lets see a pic though, not a "looks like"photo.I think it may be cool anyways.

08-Kenyon-Sykes-tenon1.jpg

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They made saws in the early 1800's. I do not see any references of them making bone or surgical saws though.
Here are ampuation saws of that period.

Antique amputation and surgical saws

I think that Kenyon and Sykes still refurbishes saws.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread