ANY SCUBA DIVING INSTUCTORS NEAR CONROE TX

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wanting to learn to dive in shallow water like ponds, shallow rivers, lakes. Would like to hit the swimming hole. I'm on a veteran disability check and need to save as much money as I can on something like this. I had paid to have classes while i was in the Army back in 2002, But had to go spend some time in the Bahamas for 2 months and was suppose to be back in time to take my classes, got stuck there for another month.:laughing7:
Man that was so much fun.
Any ways, got back and missed my class and they where nice enough to reschedule it for a later date, but then came Iraq. Got hurt and never thought about the class again to get my money back. Spent 3 hole years in the house, so that really wasn't on my mind. Didn't think about it anymore till I signed up on here. Now wanted to see about doing it.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Maybe SCUBA isn't the best way to go to dive in shallow water. Perhaps a hookah would be a better bet.

The key word is "perhaps" because there are obviously a great many variables. However, "Frogfoot" Weller was a big advocate of hookah over SCUBA and he found a great of sunken treasure so I suggest he is worth listening to (or, since he has passed over the bar, reading).

Weller.jpg

Again, it's impossible for anyone to say one way is better than another for you - that's your decision. The purpose of this post is only to suggest an alternative you may not have considered...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have read, you still need to take lessons, or they highly recommend it. At the same time, I can understand the concern people have about not getting the classes, very dangerous. Thanks for the information, does sound fun

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would certainly encourage anybody to take lessons from a qualified expert.

My suggestion is grounded in Capt. Weller's success, the lower cost, and what I perceive as a less dangerous approach. Depending, as always, on the circumstances.

We won't reach better conclusions if we fail to question our assumptions.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is Capt Weller's someone on here of on the internet?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember your AT Pro is only rated for ten feet so you might be able to get by for now with just snorkeling or hookah.

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know, but wasn't really wanting to go deep. If i do go deeper I will get a better detector for that. But right now just learning the one I have might be a good idea. lol

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, don't think you'll be wanting to try detecting the Lake Conroe dam. There was a story in the Courier many years ago about giant catfish that were so large that a full grown man could fit in one. One underwater welder said he'd never go back down there again!

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well in Lake Livingston, they had a scuba diving class and a guy got swallowed up by one. They had to get a crane to get the fish out. When they opened up the catfish, not only did they find the diver, three 9.9 motors and a few other things. That was in the paper and on the news way back in the 80's. Needless to say, they no longer have their dives there. It used to be 90' deep at the dam at one time. I believe it was at a place called Browders Marina.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, don't think you'll be wanting to try detecting the Lake Conroe dam. There was a story in the Courier many years ago about giant catfish that were so large that a full grown man could fit in one. One underwater welder said he'd never go back down there again!

I've heard that story for the dozens of dams I have lived near.
Not that it may not be true, mind you.....

Check out the dive shops in the area. Back in the 90s when I was there there were a couple of good ones in the Greenspoint area. Both used a quarry for certification that was just north of Conroe.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Earl-

Great that you are looking at learning to dive... a few suggestions IF I may.

Get certified. Do NOT do this without the proper training in theory as well as practice. You will be much better off for it.

As I tell every one of my students... ": you don't know what you don't know..and THATS what can get you in trouble."

Find a good instructor and develope a mentorship.

Dive safe and best of luck.

ag

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are just getting into the hobby, and especially on a limited budget, I would start out on shoreline and dirt. Not much needed other than a detector, a digger and a pinpointer. Start working in the water and you are going to need a good sand scoop and maybe waders. If you want to dive a bunch more expenses. So I would take it step by step, figure out if you like detecting and whether you prefer dirt, mud or water best before forking out more cash.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The late Capt. Robert "Frogfoot" Weller was a very successful sunken treasure finder - not just a hunter, like many others.

He was very generous with his time and knowledge. He wrote and co-wrote several books, edited a magazine, and held annual seminars on how to find sunken treasure.

I'm not surprised you haven't heard of him. He didn't waste his time bragging about his many accomplishments. He just went out and did it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once dove all the way down to the bottom of my pool off my deck. My Grandkids accidentally dropped 200+ pennies into the pool and it was up to Grandpa to recover them. I took a deep breath, dove and came up 15 minutes later with all the pennies. I can't remember if my pool is 52" deep or 52'.... it doesn't matter. I got every penny and never took a lesson on how to do it!

There's nothing like experience to know what to do...!

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once dove all the way down to the bottom of my pool off my deck. My Grandkids accidentally dropped 200+ pennies into the pool and it was up to Grandpa to recover them. I took a deep breath, dove and came up 15 minutes later with all the pennies. I can't remember if my pool is 52" deep or 52'.... it doesn't matter. I got every penny and never took a lesson on how to do it!

There's nothing like experience to know what to do...!

Come on man!!!!! Lets get you into the Guinness book of world records. lol
I dont think Chief Sunday or Cookie could have stayed down that long. lol (Men of Honor)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Come on man!!!!! Lets get you into the Guinness book of world records. lol
I dont think Chief Sunday or Cookie could have stayed down that long. lol (Men of Honor)

Ok... I might have exaggerated a little.... but it's my story. :laughing7:

OP
OP
E

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and it was a great story. Its close enough to a fishing story, so I will let it pass, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions