Durability of a metal detector

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

First of all i'm sorry to add a newbie question on this forum.

We are planning to buy a metal detector for the following purposes: gold and silver jewelry/coins, with some relic hunting.
The soil is typical european countryside with alot of iron scrap. We are still searching for the optimal device for this purpose and if you have any thoughts what would be your choice and why would help us alot.

But our big concern is regarding the durability of the device coil and head unit. At the moment deus xp seems like a good option but it seems that when the battery of the coil dies you will have to cut and glue a new battery and maybe it wont be waterproof anymore. The other options are to send the coil to XP factory and various sources says it can take months to get it back, or buy a new coil for 300-400$.

How is the battery changing solved with other devices, and how often do the units/coils brake or have to be changed ?
Also how good is it to have a detector that has option for many different coils, xp deus seems to be limited to 3 and the 11'' seems to be the way to go.
Garrett at pro seems to have alot of coil options.

At the moment our choices are

XP Deus
Fisher F75
Teknetics T2
Garrett AT Pro

What would you pick considering the durability, changeability of parts, and of course the main use that is the jewelry/coin hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F-75. Four AA penlight batteries every 60 hours of use or thereabouts. Remove cover by lifting catch and replace.

I am a coin hunter and have had my F-75 since 2007. Sent it back for the recent software upgrade. I appreciate Fisher for that rather than making us buy new detectors for the next generation performance. If it was stolen I would buy another. I have a NEL Sharpshooter 9.5" x 5.5" DD coil and a 6.5" Elliptical (concentric) in addition to the original. Mostly running the NEL. In very trashy sites the 6.5" helps peek between the junk. I also have a Sunray FX-1 probe which is a 1" coil switchable to use as a pinpointer. Very handy.

Never tried a Deus so I can't compare - though I have heard good things.

The F-75 follows the Teknics T2 in form and has slightly more function(s); though it appears the Enhanced T2 LTD is equal to the F-75 LTD2. Not sure why they are different prices(?)

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to get many opinions on what machine is best. I can only give an honest opinion on a machine if I have actually owned and used it for an extended period of time.
You mentioned the DEUS first, so let me say a few things about your concerns. It is my understanding, that if you remove the coil cover or make any alterations to the coil, you void all warrantees. I own a few detectors, so waiting for the return of a machine, I have sent in for service is not a problem. However, having to wait months, for the replacement of a battery is not acceptable. I would suggest you get in touch with the XP DEUS repair / service center closest to you and get that question answered by the people who will actually service the machine.
The AT PRO is an excellent all terrain and all weather machine. I have recovered numerous gold and silver rings from fresh water without any problems. Regardless of what some may tell you, it is not the machine of choice when hunting in salt water. (Too many false signals)
I was able to recover the cost of the PRO, (in clad coins alone ), in 18 months.
A few accessories that can protect your investment are rain / screen covers and a coil cover. Your use of these items is like having an insurance policy.
Good luck and never be afraid to ask a question.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Railo

Jan 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thank you for your quick and informative replies. I have to search more about Makro Racer 2 thanks for that suggestion.
I will continue reading about the devices and try to get the best option for me that suits my needs, at the point seems like there are pros/cons about every detector I've listed.

Im still wondering that is Deus the only one to have a battery in the coil also because its wireless, meaning that other devices just have batteries in the head unit that powers the coil ?
Also is it normal that the head unit or coil brakes and needs to be changed ?

I contacted XP yesterday about the service time and pointed out about the potential long wait 2-6months. This was their reply ''our service turn-around time is very fast.''
Probably the warranty(5years) is over when the coil battery loses its power or the head unit dies. Is it possible to just buy a new head unit after the warranty is over if something happens, like with the coils ?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is conventional that a single battery pack in the main unit housing, or somewhere on the shaft for balance, which powers the electronics and headphones. The coil is just an antenna for most detectors and requires no additional power.

Deus uses three batteries and some see it as an advantage because it is wireless. Others a disadvantage since when one runs out of power you're halted. Except maybe the headphones. You can soldier on without them. Just not as effectively.

Lipos should last for years. Recharging the coil and unit should only take an overnight plug-in.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the way you listed the detectors that you are interested in. That is how I'd rate them. Terry had a good suggestion by mentioning the Makro Racer 2. I'd rank it as a #2 along with the F75. You can charge the deus coil quickly if necessary. Mine has never died during a hunt, but it does happen. The 3 draw backs of the Deus is the price of additional coils, the fact that it does not have a coil smaller then 9 inches and yes, the battery replacement, but it does provide the most customization of all the detectors I've used. I have been swinging the F75 for a little over 2 years, was going to get a T2LTDSE but found a great deal on the F75LTDSE. The AT Pro has a huge following but I have never swung one. No one detector is good at everything that is why I have three in my arsenal for personal use and an F2 as a loaner.

I live in Ohio where I hunt fresh water thus I have a 1280X Aquanaut for the water.

I believe you will be happy with any you listed plus terry's suggestion.

GL & HH

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if there are any Tesoro dealers that sell/service your local but a nice Vaquero would do well. Lifetime warranty, durable, simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread