Large Cache of Coins is Waiting to be Found (plus US Button)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
The 27 pound box of old UK and other foreign coins is buried and yet to be found. Clues - I have to give enough for you to start detecting if people are going to take the time to travel. Near a major north south highway. You'll find it in a town famous for high school football in Georgia. 1984 is a good clue related to that prior clue. Get off exit number that would be familiar to a future hall of fame QB who just retired. Which way from exit? There is former republican congressman - his name will give you the direction. You will pass apartments on right named for famed Iowa wrestler...getting close stay left...what's that on right? A place where people are welcome to stay but don't as easily leave..turn left. You will be detecting momentarily. I WOOD look for a natural sign maybe looking like a letter toward end of alphabet combined with what I just said. Good luck. Since I didn't have button collection at the location where I buried it, I will mail you US button when you post photo of cache to Today's Finds and Dm me. I did include a note and some US greenbacks with massive number of coins. Go get it! (As of 11:30am 1/25 - My assumption is it hasn't been found since nobody wrote back to get the US Button or posted they found it. I will stop by soon to check the actual site and be sure, but it's a sound assumption. Note: Good clues below, but toward the end - when you are there and notice the location on the right I say turn left there. The poster below - who did very well - may not have that correct. I didn't say keep driving and turn left, I said turn left.) - NEW CLUE - look right not left

Attachments

• coinnbox.JPG
    coinnbox.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 198
  • coinbox.JPG
    coinbox.JPG
    289.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Coming from Kentucky....lol

75 South to Valdosta (Class AAAA Champs in 1984)

Exit 18 (Peyton Manning)

Turn West (Lynn Westmoreland)

Past the Gables Apartments (Dan Gable)

Valdosta State Prison on the left

Turn Left on Troupeville

Fernwood Mobile Home Community

The last clue eludes my internet prowess, I guess one would have to be on the ground to see the sign. I'm quessing it might say Would You or Woodsy.....Fernwood is the closest wood reference that I can find.

Anyone down there close enough to go snag the loot? LOL.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I got all the way to Gables Apartments (via the internet), but alas, I am too far away to pursue this to the end. I can not drive the 300 miles (one way) to the spot.

Best of luck to the treasure hunter that can get there.

I applaud the OP for thinking of all of us, by setting forth a challenge. Well played sir.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have a go at this one - but I'm over here in NM - looking forward to hearing the results on this cache !

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks, all. I think I should post to the Georgia and Florida areas of this site. I think that should get it done.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm about 70 miles from there. Did that area get hit by the recent storms?

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
It did get him, but there were no deaths in Valdosta. About 20 miles away...

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if anyone had gotten it yet, guess not.Wish I was closer.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to keep this bumped up for folks in that area.
Good game!! Good Luck!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bergie if nothing else this may become like Forrest Fenns lost treasure and you and the treasure will become LEGEND.:notworthy:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's way better than Geocaching, that's for sure.
Glad I don't live there I'd be the crazy guy on the news found trying to dig a tunnel from the woods across from the prison.nobody would believe I was looking for buried treasure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Checked it out just now and storm last week exposed my note sticking out of ground
With a few bucks still attached to box I had to rebury cover meanwhile a white truck has made two passes
Through could be detectorist...new clue - look right not left

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I gave it a shot today but struck out. TECHnically I turned left by the prison. I saw a couple of wooden signs, but I didn't think they were shaped like a letter or said anything about woods. I thought maybe of the natural sign in music but that would be a stretch. If I was at the right place, there was a grade greater than 8%. Beyond that we might have gotten off the trail. In other words I was clueless after the left turn. Which was something because the clues up to that point fell into place so perfectly. Oh well good luck to everyone

Overall I want to thank bergie and give a standing ovation. That was a really cool thing to do! It was still a very nice day to be outdoors

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I gave it a shot today but struck out. TECHnically I turned left by the prison. I saw a couple of wooden signs, but I didn't think they were shaped like a letter or said anything about woods. I thought maybe of the natural sign in music but that would be a stretch. If I was at the right place, there was a grade greater than 8%. Beyond that we might have gotten off the trail. In other words I was clueless after the left turn. Which was something because the clues up to that point fell into place so perfectly. Oh well good luck to everyone

Overall I want to thank bergie and give a standing ovation. That was a really cool thing to do! It was still a very nice day to be outdoors

I interpreted the clue as....the sign is natural, made of wood, and it resembles a letter at the end of the alphabet. I'd be looking for a tree that resembles a Y or perhaps an upside down V....

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Troupeville! Gotta go by there on the way to Moultrie.
Trip I've only made like, 748 times! :BangHead:
The trailer park that got blowed away was Adel, I believe.
Fyrffyter should get his butt over there! Oh dog dookie, I'm so far away. :BangHead:

Where's the original clues or thread that shows the clues? :icon_scratch: Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread