Some help from the experts please.....

kdfritton

Jun 12, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
robert roy Drill a hole about 5 feet deep and fill it with black powder with a concrete cap..Pow..It will soften up the surrounding ground...Ha.. said:
What do you seasoned metal detectionist do when the ground is really hard and you can't get to the target? Any special tools like a bloody pick?

Robert Roy

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
This has been posted before, if the ground is that hard don't try digging in areas with grass, because you will end up with dead spot all over and people aren't going to be happy with you.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know about others, but when conditions are that bad I go to the beaches, woodchip playgrounds etc. or any other areas I know won't be so dry and hard. Meanwhile I also pray and wait patiently as I can for rain. Good time to do a bit of research and/or contact owners of potential hunting areas for permission, too. Just my thoughts.
HH
luvsdux

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I use a short handle matox pick from Home Depot. But less effort is used when using a prospectors pick but it's a lot heaver. The deeper the target is, the wider hole has to be so that the target won't be stabbed or spiked.

HH

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Not sure if I would carry a bloody pick around with me while digging holes in the woods. Hard to explain to the cops. ;D

Daryl

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
shovels and bag of lime are even harder to explain--- ;D Ivan

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An old timer told me that if I have a site that I just have to detect when it is dry, take a jug of water and water the plug when finished digging.

I don't care to carry a jug of water around.

Hit the woods, and places that it doesn't matter, like the mother-in-law's yard ;D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
ivan salis said:
2 mother in laws lucky you ---not

To be fair my wife's mother has been very nice to me and let me dig in her yard, in fact I found my 1957 silver quarter there and my father-in-law chucks every penny he gets into his side yard and it is about time for my next vist there to collect my finds.

My wife's step-mother is another story, I don't dare even carry my machine in my car when on her property!!

As for digging in the really dry soil, I just find places were it doesn't matter, another spot I have started hitting recently is creeks and creek beds. Just a thought.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so your one for two---so her dads-- "new" wifes a bear ---but her mom and her new husband are cool --bet I know you like to hang with better---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread