The ultimate probe

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
kdfritton said:
Just came up with an idea. To avoid scratching coins etc when probing why not take the last 6 inches or so off a graphite fishing pole (sharpen it a bit) and epoxy it inside a wooden handle. You cant pry with it of course but for straight probing it would be great. AlumaDan...

I have been using this type of device since I got into detecting. It works for me quite well.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 151
K

Kentucky Kache

I thought probes were supposed to be long, to give you a better feel of what you're hitting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I made such a probe from a broken solid glass fishing rod. It probed well and didn't scratch coins too. It was marked on the side as to depth. I just stopped using it because I still needed to use a screw driver to lever the coin out of the ground. It got to be another thing to carry with me and took up more time so I stopped using it.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
jbot said:
I thought probes were supposed to be long, to give you a better feel of what you're hitting.

I made my probe the length I did because if I can't find the target in the length I have allowed I cannot dig it in the places I am going to be using it.

I only use mine if I am in a place where the people are particular about the lawn/grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread