abandoned mansion NY

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally, if this place is in the sticks and being overtaken by nature, I think I'd take a chance and hit it regardless of permission.

If the grounds were maintained, indicating the efforts of someone to keep it presentable, then I would probably not. Place is obviously not very secure, judging by the graffiti.

That's not abandoned. That's private property. Friends of Beaverkill Community

You are mistaken if you think there is ANYPLACE on the Beaverkill that is in the sticks and abandoned. That is primo trout country, birthplace of the dry fly, and the stream is heavily patrolled and ANY car "out of place" is quickly investigated.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not abandoned. That's private property. Friends of Beaverkill Community

You are mistaken if you think there is ANYPLACE on the Beaverkill that is in the sticks and abandoned. That is primo trout country, birthplace of the dry fly, and the stream is heavily patrolled and ANY car "out of place" is quickly investigated.

Thanks for the link.
Its not like I'm quite contemplating throwing a detector in my trunk and driving 850 miles to do some scouting.
I have pretty good situational awareness, if I'm ever up in Beaverkill I'll keep your words in mind and use my best judgement.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering how spaced out the homes are there.
I'm Guessing this House on Castle Drive either Owns it.
Or has a big boost in adrenaline every time someone drives up to it .
they probably have a pretty clear view also unless that is now a corn field in between.
which it obviously wasn't when the aerial was snapped

0005.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, places like that make me DROOL, and seeing some of the finds?, There are times I think I should wear a bib while I scroll through this forum.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Gunsil is right. That entire area was pounded in the 80s and 90s, and other than a few silver coins and a gold pinkie ring, not much of note was ever found. You have to remember that folks have had access to some great machines since the early 1980s, and they knew where to use them.:skullflag:

I remember that every time I go to hit a potential great spot, work it over digging iron and all that's left is perhaps period masked pennies and some nickels.... happens too often. :hello2:

Itxs the truth

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea same here

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What IS interesting is just north of that area are the New York City reservoirs (Cannonsville, Pepacton, Ashokan) that forced towns and settlements to vacate when the valleys were flooded. Towns like Rock Ridge, Arena, Pepacton, Shavertown and Union Grove vanished. The low spots are unreachable (and the shores patrolled by NYC Police aven though it's 130 miles from NYC) but some of the hills have old foundations and homesites that are on hiking trails. There are a few I have on my "someday to return with detector" mental list.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless there are guards on the grounds, I would stay out of the buildings, but search the grounds. There were many people there doing damages, and never got arrested. Good hunting and good luck.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was closer i might have to break out my ninja suit and headphones haha..but on a serious note NY is insane with its laws gurantee you would be arrested in a hurry trotting around with on shovel on that property but it is tempting ..

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently, nothing much to fear with spray paint can in hand ....

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted old schools, mansions, and a few hospitals that were shut down.
The grounds in theses places are sometimes mowed by the town work force where they are located. The grounds are patrolled by local law enforcement. The kids often break into the structures and end up stripping the brass and copper. They also have parties and cause all sorts of damage, including fires. It's a real shame. At one state psychiatric hospital, while visiting the grounds,, you are now required to stay on the paved paths.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread