Looking at water detectors for use in salt water

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I am concidering buying a water detector to be used in salt water and know absolutly nothing about them. What are some good ones? Do they have discrimination? Any info would be of great help. Thanks,
Dave

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
What kind of use Piggman? Just in the swimming area or diving? Just the coil or the whole unit? How deep?

Daryl

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl, you musta' stumped him! ;) Seriously piggy guy, come back with some info and we'll be glad to try to help. Monty

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Sorry for the delay, must have been one of those senior moments. I want one that is completely submegable, see as I'm kind of clumsy in the water. One I can use for diving if need be. Actually, just one that waves washing over it won't hurt it. OK, next time just hit me over the head with a 2x4 or something to get my attention. As far as depth, not deep, maybe 20-30' under. Hopes this helps.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
I'd like to use it in both fresh and salt water. I haven't even concidered a price range as of yet.

C

coindigr

Well if you are not going in the deep water, I like the White's Beach Hunter ID. I have found it to be very stable in the ankle deep water where some others I have tried had a lot of false signals. I have used mine in salt water beaches in Mexico (both east and west coast), Florida and Georgia with out a single problem (find me some wood to knock on) as well as fresh water beaches here in Colorado.
I really like the Minelab Excalibur as well (though not a huge fan of the headphones on that machine). The depth is wonderful and the discrimination fantastic. I don't own one currently due to the headphone issue, but that is my own issue.
I also own a Fisher CZ-20 and like that as well. I do get a few false signals with it and hits on iron that read like a coin. But I don't have a lot of time in with that machine yet so I am still learning it. I have been a fan of Fishers for a while (great depth).
Just my humble opinions.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
I've been looking at the Whites Beach Hunter ID, too. It says its good for around 30 feet under water which is nore than I would be going, and it seems to have some good reviews. It sells for a decent price, and I'm kind of a Whites man myself. Minelabs are great machines, just kind of high priced.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I've had a few white's and a couple of minelabs myself. I started water hunting with a surfmaster pi. The surf pro pi is the current, upgraded version of that detector. Great in the wet sand... but no discrimination and very deep.

Currently when I hunt the water, I use my Excalibur. It is by far the best water and beach machine I've used. It is pricey, but in my opinion well worth it. you can always try to find a used one (I got mine from ebay... 525 shipped to my door, and it still had 2 months left on the warranty).

both of those detectors say they are waterproof to 100' or better.

steve

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Thanks, I'll check into that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got both of my Excals used, one from Ebay for $850, and one from this website in the "for sale" board for $750. Both work perfectly when they arrived at my door.

I think some people don't take in consideration that Minelabs really hold their values on resale. I know I could put both of mine on Ebay and get my money back, and thats not taking in consideration what I have found with them.

Spez I think you got a real steal on your Excal. I was watching it on Ebay and you were the only bidder, and it was early in the auction. All of a sudden he closed the auction early and you got it. I'm not sure if the gentleman selling it really understood how EBay works, but it sure was a good deal for you. How often do you ever find an Excal sold for $525 shipped to the door.. ;D

I know the one I got off of Ebay you were watching, I ended up using the buy me now option to get it.

I use to have a BHID, they only complaint I had about it was you had to be very carful when you opened the battery door to not get any sand on the o-ring and to be very sure it was sealed properly or you got water in the battery compartment. :(

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Excal, and love it.

Probably some of the best unknown detectors in the world are made by Eric Foster. He is the King of Pulse Induction. Here are some of his detectors (I am in no way affiliated with Surfscanner or Eric Foster).

http://www.surfscanner.com/Surfscan3/EFoster.html

Best,

Mike

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Excal is looking better all the time. Thanks people, and keep swinging!

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Piggman1, I'm in the same boat that you are. I have a DFX that I really love. However, I am just afraid of getting it fried if I accidentally drop it in the water, or have a wave suddenly sneak up on me. Then, I'd have to explain to my wife how I ruined my DFX. So...I'm been searching around for a waterproof unit. Being that I am partial to White's...like you...I was looking at the Surf PI Pro. But, then I was given some great advice on the Excalibur. I'm going to check it out at a nearby Minelab dealer. However, I want to see whether or not Tony's shop can give me a better price than the local dealer...I'm hoping he can, 'cause I know that Tony is a TNET supporter...and as such, I'd like to return the favor by supporting his shop.

Anyway, good luck in your search.
--Mel

borninok

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony is DA MAN. I got my Sovereign GT with WOT from him recently. I know as a dealer he can only go just so low, but you will save the cost of the taxes.

I know from experience a rouge wave will sneak up on you. When your in the water just knee deep and trying to listen to tones or pinpoint a target you have found, you forget to keep an eye for that one wave that sneaks in twice as high as the others. I have been knocked on my butt more times then I can count. If my detector wasn't waterproof, it would have been an expensive paperweight.

If you buy an Excal new, in 5 years you can still get 60-75% of your money back on it so it's not like its lost, its just in a "different bank". There are also a couple Excals on EBay right now.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Thanks, TH. It's TNET'rs like you, Sandman, and others that are a credit to this hobby/profession. Thanks for the input.
--Mel

borninok

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, but I'm just a newbie, not in same class as Sandman and most others. I just like love the hobby and want to help others like I was helped by Sandman, VaMax and others when I got started and had tons of questions.

I love water hunting, digging the sandy beach so much easier. ;D

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Piggman1, Sandman, and TH...

Just got off the phone with Tony....great deal on the Excalibur......so, I put my order in..............now I have to go tell the wife....HA/HA LOL

Anybody got a good prayer for me??? If so....hurry up and say it..... ;D ;D ;D
---Mel

borninok

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind her the money isn't lost, just in a different bank that pays it's dividends in gold, silver, and diamonds. Show her on ebay what they sell for used and then so of the pictures of what is being found. If that doesn't work, say hummmm I wonder how much all those shoes and purses cost?

Truth really is themoney isn't lost, prices on ebay proves that. You will get all your money back and then some, just on the finds if you hunt beaches much.

According to Midwest refineries website on the value they pay for gold, I have about $750 in gold sitting in my "treasure chest" if I wanted to scrap it, but I'm holding on to it for now. That is $100 short of paying for the first Excal I bought. My Whites Beach Hunter ID paid for itself before I traded it for the Sovereign GT, plus I got a real good trade in on it so I figure my Sovereign with WOT is 3/4 paid for already. I bet by fall the 2nd Excal will be close to paid for with the finds.

With beach hunting the gold adds up, that is one of the reason I love beach hunting, all the nice potential targets waiting to be found.

Good luck and good hunting.....

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Hey, TH, I'm still alive!!!!.....Ha/ha Being that she's a banker, she gets "that look" when you tell you you've just spent money.....LOL

Her response..."Well, I hope you don't outlive your retirement money". My response was simple: "Don't worry, your nagging will kill me first." ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Geez, did I say that out loud? ;D
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions