aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had this AT Pro for a little over two years, but actual have not used it until the last two months, when I got it a couple of years back as a retirement gift I used it maybe three times and then packed it away because i was having back problems and could not bend down with out pain, finally got my back in good enough condition to start up again with in the last couple of months the point what I am badly trying to express is this machine is in like new condition , my problem with this machine is i have not been able o find one coin, i have tried every mode on the machine, i have watched every video made on this machine, i have tested this machine in my yard for hours, i have hunted school yards, playgrounds, public parks, marinas, baseball fields, and have gotten to private property permissions, still have not hit on a coin, i dig mostly trash, iron , nail, aluminum cans, etc, i have dug hole after hole, i have dug every tone low and high and in between, i have found two pennies by accident while looking on the ground, but not while using this detector. i am about ready to give up, either this machine is not working right or I am the worst and dumbest detectorist around, sometimes i wish i had bought a different Detector, oh well that'st my rant, i just am just tired of it and fell i wasted almost $700 with all the extras i bought.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't despair, I got my first Garrett detector in 1977 and it can still find coins just like it used to. What you need is for an experienced AT Pro detectorist to spend time with you. They will see within minutes what the problem is. Don't give up, there's plenty of treasure out there with your name on it!

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry to here you are having a tuff go at it.

I can honestly say that I have never went out detecting and not found at least one coin. Regardless of the metal detector.

If you are finding trash; it will find a coin.. either there is so much trash that the coins are masked or the areas you are hunting have been hunted really hard by other detectorist that will not dig trash ( cherry pickers )

I'm sure you have air tested your machine? I'm sure you know the ins and out of operation of the unit?

I would recommend maybe going out one day with someone that is proficient with the machine and let that person dig a couple coins while you watch. It will increase your confidence to know the machine works.

Then, you just have to learn and understand what it is telling you.

The metal detector will rarely say "dig this coin here!" Sometimes, but rarely. You have to interpret the sounds and the numbers to make a decision....

Cherry picking.. basically turn your discrimination up all the way and only dig high tones ( high conductors). You will miss almost all trash and anything good around the trash. But, you will most likely only dig coins, brass, lead and smashed aluminum cans. Cans will never leave you.. but there are ways to identify them in the ground.

Lots of info and Garret users here..

Good luck.

Danny.

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem when I started, I actually wanted to wrap mine around a tree.
My problem was... ME!
I had never taken the time to really figure out how to use it. I just turned it on and off and running I went.
Finally I took some time to work the machine and figure out what it was telling me.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The exact reason I advocate using local dealers(if available). Some guys will buy online, eBay, Amazon, etc to save a couple bucks(not saying you) and then realize a hands on tutorial is worth every extra penny spent on the local shop.
My suggestion is try to hook up with some local detectorists and see if they can help you out. Heck, even post in the Garret forum down below, those guys will help you out. Good luck

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also.. I'll add. Take a look at my "today's finds posts"

I try to post most of the trash I find along with everything else. You will see the ratios; some days better than other days.

Those days posted usually represent a solid 3 to 4 hours without looking up. It's not uncommon for me to dig 60 or 70 holes in 4 hours.. Most being junk.

Location is everything.

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to part ways with it I know of a real good home for it..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I started, I wanted coins only, so I discriminated out all except for copper pennies and silver. About a month later I started to notch nickels back in and a few weeks later notched zinc back in. Over time I reduced my discrimination to just knocking out the lower end of the iron range. maybe you should try my method and as you get more comfortable and more experienced decrease your discrimination.

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank all of you for the replys, i will take all of the advice and tips and put them to use, and you are right i should have bought local instead of buying online from Kellyco. if i had bought local aleast i could have gotten advice and been shown the proper way to use the detector, i will try and use all the advice and tips you all have given, thanks again

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
boy and i thought i was cursed. i keep looking for a good luck charm at garage sales and church rummage sales. a good one too. i think God just hates me so in that case a good luck charm probably just aint gonna work. maybe you can try crossing your fingers next time out. let me know if that works fer ya ! just a second thought maybe you live in one of those areas thats really been hunted hard and there just aint nothin left. Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have already contacted Garret about two weeks ago still no answer, i also contacted Kellyco who referred me to their AT Pro expert, his advice was set the machine to Pro mode Zero, iron Discrim at 25, and listen to the tones, he said this should solve your problems, wow he helped a lot, oh well we live and learn, anyway thank you for your help.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I think you should pack it in, give up, go home and go to bed. When you wake up, send me your machine and I'll give you cash for it. Buh-Bye!

OH!!!! And be careful! That screen door usually hits people in the, well, you know. :hello:

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if i were rich i would give it to, but living on social security it's near and dear to my heart, plus it was a retirement gift from my wife, i had someone offer me half of what i paid, for that i think i would keep it and watch the dust grow on it. thanks anyway.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been a couple years since I sold off my ATP. But here is what I remember.

Pro zero. Ground balance every time you turn the machine on and periodically during a hunt. Set your iron discrimination at 40. Set sensitivity at 2 bars from max. At first, as said above, only dig things about 70 or above. See what happens. Then open it up to digging around the 52 range which is nickels and some gold. That mid 60's range, as I remember it, is mostly pull tabs, etc.

If you have a pinpointer it will make your life alot easier.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be some sort of local group or club in your area. Perhaps even a local dealer gave give you some tips.

Check that out, get some help from some other detectors...

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a test only !

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Throw some various coins on the ground, turn on and ground balance the detector and then swing over them, listen for the tone and look at the target ID number on the detector screen for each coin. Let me know if the detector beeps on them.

Last edited:

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Logic says if your finding trash but not coins then you are either hunting an area that has no coins to find or your ignoring what your machine is telling you and only digging the strongest signals which, in most cases, is trash. A quick way to gain experience in what your machine is telling you is, take a large piece of cardboard and tape coins and junk on one side, flip it over and practice listening to what your machine says. Mark on the top side what each target is. After doing that for a while, retape the targets on the top side over the markings, flip it back over and try to identify the targets without the markings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread