Is the new technology better?

keeplooking

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2007
I have been looking at and reading bout MD’ing for the past several months (Tesoro, White's, Garrett, & Fisher). I have also been looking at new and reviewing there manuals and specifications as well as looking at used MD’er and researching them on Google as well as reading several different forums much at this one.

So my question is this: are the newer MD’ers that much better then those of 10, 20, or 30 years ago? Or are we looking minor changes such as more efficient electronics that allow them to be lighter and use less energy? Has the technology really changed where it counts, in the ability to go deeper, improved the yield, better ROI, or are we looking at just hip to sell the latest model?

I know what the manufactures would say, but I would like to hear form you detectorist that have been involved with this hobby for a number of years. Many of you have used the old and the new and that is that is the feedback I am looking for.

Thanks for your opinion,
JC

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Newer metal detectors are much better in several different ways, but a word of caution is the support after the sale is key. Both in the dealer and manufacturer. I say this, because I am having trouble with both at the moment and have just recently just switched to White's and another dealer, that I feel pretty good about.

CodyCat Borat

Jan 15, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra-50, Whites classic 2
You forgot to add Minelab to your list, which after owning several of the other brands mentioned I consider to be at the top of the hill.

Yes is the answer to your question.
The technology today is by far greater than 10 years ago.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Not only is the technology better, the detectors are lighter.

They go deeper and are more accurate identifying a target and weigh less.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: Question, are you talking about coin detecting or Cache deep detecting?

There is a vast difference in the requirements for each.

As far as deep detecting for caches etc., no, they haven't improved that much, just have added such features as auto ground balance, theoretical ID of detected targets, etc., which, in serious searching, are debatable benefits in themselves.

The older Garrett ADS 7, for example, will go just as deep any of today's detectors, unless you go to the two box types.

The possible exceptions are the later Pulse detectors which are a tremendous help in certain types of highly mineralized ground.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you ask that question, about the 10 yrs. from 1975 to 1985, then the answer would've been a resounding YES. Every few years, during that period, there were major improvements, and whole new gimmicks. It went from nearly BFO years to motion TID years, all in that short span.

But if you ask that question about the last 10-ish years (say 1995 to 2005) then the answer is no, not many improvements. Usually just lighter, and more whistles and bells.

And it also depends on what type hunting you're doing? Some of the old machines had niches that none of the modern machines can replicate, so you have to be specific in your question, as all machines can't be lumped into it, as they all evolved in different ways from each other.

OP
OP
K

keeplooking

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2007
My question is with regards to general MD'ing. And yes I could have considered Minelab, which I understand is very good MD, some say top of the line; however, my question was more specifically directed at those people getting started, or taking the next step and upgrading - Minelab starting cost tend to be at the higher end of the spectum.

Thanks for your responses so far.
JC

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
it would depend on what you are comparing as old, some of the new machines are better with faster audio responce to targets, in the iron, much lighter, and batteries last longer,and use half as many, but machines like the xlt and 6000pro do quit well.

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
You all bring up valid points.

But lighter models are better for general metal detecting needs. Less weight is a big improvement.

Also as mentioned the Warranty of new models is important.

TT: Mentioned 2 boxes. They are pretty much the same. He is right about that and also about the high end Pulse Induction machines.

The PI machines have improved in the last 2 years. At least the Eric Foster machines have.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer detectors are vastly improved over what was made even a few years ago. Newer materials, electronic circuits with faster response time, deeper depth and target discrimination. Newer detectors use less power and batteries. As an example, some Tesoro's use only one 9 Volt battery and weigh less than 2.5 pounds. A lot of the coils of the older units almost weighed that much. The newer coils are wound under more quality standards too. The manufactures have to advance the envelope or sales fall off in favor of the better detector. Minelab is riding the top of the hill right now because of this R&D.

Advertising hype is cut down by the use of the Internet as the truth comes out about the REAL qualifications of these so called new detectors. No more are we subjected to claims of "two feet on a dime."

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO: A further clarification. If you are talking about depth on caches, not much improvement except naturally in improved circuity which is infinitely more stable and less power consuming, plus lighter weight.

The older models used tubes, which ran through heavy, hard to get, 67 1/2 volt batteries like Prof does red pencils on his students. In addition they were heavy in their own right, very unstable, with no ground cancelling.

The best of the lot was the old Gardner, it was light and had 7" and a 3' coil. It could punch down - claimed - 18 ft with the 3' coil. It could be ground balanced, the only one at that time. I found many a cache with it which in turn kept beans and tortillas in the pot.

The BFO's were ok in their time and also accounted for many a coin, along with a few caches.

The two boxes were represented with a monstrous Fisher, required two handles to handle the boxes. Later they brought out the single handled fibre glass one, which was a fine instrument, but anything would/could set it off. I suppose another Hoover damn could have been constructed with all of the dry holes that it produced.

The first major break though with the two box unit was with with the 3D-501, a true ground balance two box unit. I believe that they now produce the Discovery line of two boxes.

After that the major advances were in power consumption, weight, stability, and misc frills primarily for coin shooting.

We now have the Pulse detectors which may be the ultimate for some time to come, I love them.

Soooo, as you can see, I have been using them since the mid 50's and have seen them come a long ways, but, in "effective" depth, not that much. After all, one cannot overturn the laws of physics and allowable power output.

Some day I will have to post what it was like in the early 50's in so far as detecting is concerned, a paradise compared to now, NO!, I repeat, NO! restrictions and the ground was loaded.

DonJose de La Mancha

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don Jose, where were you hunting in the '50s? What type hunting did you do? Some guys in my town were into it in the very early '60s, and they said that silver was easy and shallow. They were only going for pocket change, and the machines only went a few inches deep, if you were lucky. But silver was still in circulation, and all the schools were virgin. Do tell your story :)

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
You bet your bippie it is, but maybe not in the way you would think. I agree with the gentleman who made the comments about circuitry and weignt etc. but there has been little improvement in depth over some of the old machines. I used some machines in the 60,s that were pretty shallow machines but later on the TR units got alot better. One of the deepest machines I ever used was the 77B compass. It was heavy and not balanced very well, with no descrimination. You could though, learn those special coin sounds. My main coin machine is 15 years old and still works just fine. It is a fairly simple tone I.D. with an analog meter, not to many bells and no whistles.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread