ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy nailed the Egyptian coin so fast, it inspired me to dig out one my uncle brought back from occupied Japan that I have never been able to ID. My first guess was Japanese of course, but stylistically it looks closer to some Chinese coins imo. Korean script seems more boxy and I don't think its that. All help appreciated!

jap coin.jpg jap coin 2.jpg

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't know how much I appreciate that, l.cutler. I have spent hours on the net and at the library over the decades trying to id that coin. THANK YOU!

Looks like the coin came from his later deployments and not during his time when the Occupation was in effect.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I agree.
The character after the '+' character;namely [FONT=&quot]四 makes the determination of age easy.
The coin has little monetary value but still may have great family value.
Don..[/FONT]

OP
OP
ChampFerguson/TN

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, after all these years, I feel like a Quest has successfully ended. I never thought itd be worth anything, but not knowing what it is has been aggravating.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I recognized it because I bought one years ago as a kid I think from Littleton.

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy nailed the Egyptian coin so fast, it inspired me to dig out one my uncle brought back from occupied Japan that I have never been able to ID. My first guess was Japanese of course, but stylistically it looks closer to some Chinese coins imo. Korean script seems more boxy and I don't think its that. All help appreciated!

View attachment 1411196 View attachment 1411197

Just so you know, if you go to Google, then search for ...asian coin with flowers... then look at images, this coin is actually the very first coin in the list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread