hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If YOU are shot it won't matter who was Right.
This morning's paper: Wikieup Az. Mohave Co. A man, Mr. Button,66 years old, was jailed accused of shooting at kayakers paddling on a creek. He accused them of trespass. Apparently in his mind the penalty for that offense is death or at least the fear of death.
This happened a mile from a campground and might have given the kayakers a sense of security. Maybe thinking all is well and the creek is part of the fun.
Investigators determined "Property owners do not have rights to waterways". Who knows how the Courts might rule on this as States differ on rights and what determines a waterway and most investigators aren't lawyers. Mr. Button was charged with unlawful imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon.

The USA was perceived as a nation of laws once. Having a discussion with my neighbor about this vs Mexico he pointed out in the USA it's the Law, in Mexico it's the Man. Huge difference. Something different is happening here where the Law takes second place. Emotions trump the thought process.
I sometimes think about the huge difference between emotional thinking and intellectual thinking. Something like a political argument where one assumes the discussion will lead to understanding (intellectual) and the other wants to kill you (emotional).
No middle ground.
Seems the land owner (questionable) has some emotional misunderstanding of the law (or not) but his emotional mindset tells him he can shoot the dirty trespassers or at least try to scare them. I imagine his assumption was that kayakers don't conceal carry.
The USA, from my limited perspective, has changed to have a meaner side where any trespass, Political, actual, imagined might get you shot.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have to look hard to find nut jobs. Heck, just turn on your TV!:skullflag:

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully Mr. Button will spend some good quality time in the clink.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about, stay alert, stay alive. I believe he may have watched to many cowboy shows or movies in his youth were everything was solved with the draw of a gun. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread