Archie story for a winter day:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is a National Forest (NFS land) area in CA, not far from me. "Los Padres National Forest". And within a certain portion of it is Camp Hunter Liggett Army base. Hence a military base within the larger boundaries of the NFS land. On the NFS land, is hundreds of square miles of hunting land, fishing land, hiking, camping, etc..... And hunters come from all around CA, during season, to quail hunt, deer hunt, etc....

One day a deer hunter was miles into the back country boondocks. In a dry creek wash, he spotted a cool indian mortar bowl thing. He thought: "That'll look cool as a yard ornament back home", so he picked it up, and carried it miles back out to his campsite. He put it on the picnic table , and he and his hunting buddies all went to sleep in their tents/RV's.

The next morning, a ranger was "doing the rounds" collecting the over-night camper fees or whatever. She spotted the indian rock thing on the picnic table, and went ninja ballistic ! Called in for backup reinforcements, and ... soon .... several other rangers and an archie were there drilling the men. The hunter simply had no idea this wasn't allowed, and was very apologetic. To no avail. The men were all handed tickets, their hunting rifles and vehicles were confiscated. They had to call their wives, from 200+ miles away, to come pick them up. Doh! The "rock" was taken as "evidence" and put in a storage locker at the nearby military base public work's headquarters building in a footlocker closet.

The day came when the men were to appear to answer the ticket. They had to take time off work, and travel all the way back to this part of the state, had to get lawyers, etc... Quite expensive. The "rock" was retrieved from the storage locker, and shown as "evidence". This went on for several re-appearances and appeals. Each time the rock retrieved from the locker, in the PW building where it was kept, and brought to the courtroom.

The man who found it had to lead indian nation rep's and archies back .... miles into the wilderness. To show them where he'd picked it up at. Because the idea was: That once all the trials were over with, the rock would be "repatriated" to it's original location (after an Indian seance ceremony or whatever). FINALLY the men got their vehicles, hunting rifles, etc... back. And had a fine to pay.

The man telling me this story was a worker at the public work's dept. building where the rock had been stored , as evidence, awaiting the end of the trial. And he was telling this story 5+ yrs. after the "incident" had occurred. So I asked him: "What ever happened to the 'rock' ?"

He said that months turned into years, after the end of the trial. No one ever came to get the "rock". So eventually the P.W. workers got tired of it taking up space in this foot-locker closet. So they'd been using it as a door-stop ever since then. Where it remained to-that-day. I guess the archies and Indian people simply forgot about it, and no one ever came to hike it back out for the repatriation ? ??? :dontknow:

TRUE STORY!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These stories are far to common, especially to those of us that live or have lived in Western States. :BangHead:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom you know that dosent suprise me at all. State dosent care they just dont want you to have it. You might profit from it one day. Same thing happens here in florida too terry its just a different set of artifacts. Funny how stories like that really piss me off, wont affect my life at all but it still makes me mad.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
No words here. I had written a reply, but....well, this gets me a bit hot under the collar. Too much insanity, especially when it comes to gov't!

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, This is why I avoid NFS land, those guys are out of control. At times you have said that you are against posting "Scare" story's, that new guys etc. would be afraid to do anything anywhere etc. and I agree with you. that these things can become blown out of proportion, but your story I have NO doubt is true and of fact. I also know it is not your intent to "scare" anybody, in fact I agree with a number of your post, and what you posted is something to keep in mind. They have done the same or similar to detectorist. Your post IS another example of government gone wild. So, there are some places I tend to avoid, such as NFS, because there seem to be little common sense, and I do not trust them. And the so important "Artifact" ? Door Stop. There you have it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom, This is why I avoid NFS land,....

Well, a few things to consider: Indian artifacts are in a WHOLE different mental mindset than the 50-or-more year coins. Yes it's true they both appear, in the same breath in ARPA. However the reality of enforcement and concern is much different. There are indian tribes here that get real "funky" when it comes to bones, baskets, etc... But you find much less religious zeal for 51+ yr. old coins. And notice that a coin is actually legal to find and have on NFS land. As long as it's not over 50 yrs. old. Notice that this age distinction is not present for indian artifacts. So the MERE ACT of md'ing, itself, would be ok, as long as you don't have coins over 50 yrs. old in-your possession (that's what they make socks for after all, eh ?) So I would not avoid NFS land.

I don't think you'll find a similar story for coins on NFS land. Unless it was someone snooping around obvious historic monuments. In which case ANY md'r (unlike the hunter in my story who simply didn't know) would have AMPLE ability to "know better". And notice that none of the story would have occurred if the guy had not had the rock out on his table in full-view of the passing ranger. Moral of the story to me then is not to "avoid all NFS". But rather: "Don't prominently display artifacts on your picnic table to passing purist archie ranger ladies"

.... you have said that you are against posting "Scare" story's, that new guys etc. would be afraid to do anything anywhere etc. and I agree with you.....

Good point SPrailroad ! I was posting it to poke fun at purist archies and govt. sillyness. But you're right: It went against a rant I have that posting "dire stories" like that, can sometimes start the vicious circle that ENDS UP bringing awareness and restrictions and answers we DIDN'T want. Good catch. I was doing it to poke fun at archies.

So here's the disclaimer: For any skittish persons who read that, just be sure you're within the allowable NFS limits of "only looking for modern change (or prospecting or meteorites, etc...). And don't have 51+ yr. old coins on your person, if you expect a purist archie ranger to be passing by. This story was a total fluke, and involved indian stuff, not coins. And was not meant in any way to promote the "sky is falling" fears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions